“disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 76 Hotels in Wildwood
saint paul, minnesota
“disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

We wanted to like Oakview. Although previous reviews had been mixed, Oakview sounded like the kind of place we had happily stayed at in the past. There were some positives: great location, reasonably priced, clean, reminiscent of Wildwood of days gone by. BUT: the first morning our car was blocked by another car. The office sign said "open" but the door was locked and there was no response to ringing the bell or knocking on the door. I even placed a call to the hotel and all I got was voice mail. After an hour of waiting the owners strolled in; it turned out that the car was one of theirs. And then there was no hot water for a day. To both issues there was no apology, just indifference. Unprofessional.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank dansaintpaul

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Never In my lifetime have I met a someone so immature!! I call to ask rates for the 4th of July and the lady gives me different rates every time when I question it she hangs up on me I called back 10 TIMES and she just picked up and hung up every time!!! TALK ABOUT GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE..... I will never in my life ever go to this dump even to call it a hotel is humiliating, hope this lady gets fired because I will make sure none of my family members or friends will ever stay here because of the way I was treated is just pure ridiculous!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Annette C

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed there, were charged per person and ripped off. A bunch of the rooms were small and could fit 3 comfortably not 4 or 5. Yes, some of my friends had 'unregistered' guests however everyone was constantly harassed by the owners and told to get out even if they had a room. I understand the owners became very pushy because people took at advantage of them and were making mess. I stayed 1 night, thought the owners liked me, got my deposit back for having kept my room clean, went to breakfast& the boardwalk came back to talk to my friends, sat on the porch with the owners for 15 minutes then was yelled at to leave, you checked out, get off the porch. For the amount we paid, the rooms we had (all had broken fridges, sliding door came off hinges, and no space to move), the way I treated the owners (respectful), And how I kept the room I was extremely Shocked.

• Stayed June 2011
6 Thank Redrobin12346
Mays Landing, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

I understand high electric bills, I do... but when we were asked to leave the air off all day in the middle of summer??? That's nuts! The last thing you want to do is come back to a SMALL stuffy room after being out in the sun all day. However, later on I realized why they really wanted the air off... my daughter was watching cartoons and I went into the "bathroom" to dry my hair... and blew the breaker... 3 times! The door to the room was so flimsy I was worried about leaving anything in the room for fear of a break in! I was quoted $60 plus tax over the phone and ended up paying almost $100 for a literal closet! There is also NO PARKING! There is a lot across the street, but you can't leave your car in it overnight, so I ended up staying up until 2 in the morning to feed a meter! I will NEVER, EVER stay here again!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank soccermom5602
pb_maxx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

I have read some of these reviews and can't help but laugh. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but i will say at least this.... usually when i make a reservation I pay for right away, so i secure my reservation. I don't wait 2 weeks to pay for a reservation and then get mad cause they gave away my room. When in fact it wasn't my room without money down ! With that said , Now on to my review........
I have been going to this hotel for 15+ years and will keep going back.
Is the rooms small ? Yes,some of them. But not all. We have stayed in several different rooms at this hotel. And quite honestly my opinion........It's the Jersey Shore, small and compact is about 75% of the hotel rooms in the Wildwoods. I never go on vacation to stay in my room but to sleep.
Location ? The best for my family ! If you know the Wildwood Boardwalk you know it's about 2 1/2 miles long. And Oak Ave is about the half point on the Boards give or take a few blocks. And this Hotel is a half a block from the Boards. So the location is great !
Cleanliness ? They clean the rooms everyday and give fresh linen.
Sleep Quality ? We all sleep well. so the beds are fine. Even the sofa beds are fine.
Service? It is ran by a single owner and we are always taken care of just fine. In fact last year, after we checked out. We had decided to take one more ride on the go-carts across the street and got caught in a down pour and we all got soaked. The owner gave us fresh towels and let us change into dry clothes in a room. How many plush hotels would do that for you after check out ?
Would i recommend this Hotel to a friend ? Yes ! And did
Value ? That was the biggest reason we picked this hotel. Cause you can't beat the location for the price!
Me and my family will keep going back to this hotel year after year. In fact last year we went to Disney World at the begining of summer and still had to Oakview Hotel cause it just don't feel like summer if we don't go there. Hope this review is helpful... this is the first one i have wrote.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank pb_maxx
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

I have stayed at this hotel for 20 yrs. the owner is sweatheart, and the location is the best you WILL EVER FIND FOR AROUND $100 A NIGHT. I laugh at all the comments about how poor the hotel is - well the hotel is clean, directly across the street to the boardwalk, and is a family oriented hotel. Yes the rooms are small, but what did you think you were going to get for a $100 - the Ritz? I absolutely love the atmosphere and the price. You cannot beat it for the location and it's convenience....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
melliez43
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2009

I am a full time college student and a part-time waitress in PA. I literally had only a 1 week vacation and I decided that I couldn't wait and I wanted to go to Wildwood,it's my favorite beach spot! My sister told me about this Oakview Hotel, so I called them a week before my vacation and they booked me a room for including taxes $100...and this was on a 2 days 1 night stay on a SATURDAY. I was ecstatic! My boyfriend and I were already pre-warned that the rooms were small. But we are the type of people that like to go out and enjoy what's going on Outside of our hotel. Honestly if you have a large family with high expectations then stay away, but if you are a coupe or a small group of 2 or 3 friends who just want a cheap weekend getaway then this is it for you!! I'd def. compare it to a frat house looking building. The lady at the front desk was nice & you also park your car in a garage lot right across the street. IT IS RIGHT BY THE BOARDWALK!! I couldn't believe the location..it was perfect for me. The Wildwood boardwalk is why I love to go to this beach, I'm all about "you get what you pay for" and I think I got an awesome location, a clean bathroom & bed, and TV and it was well worth $100 considering I only called them a week in advance and it was on a weekend. I would def. recommend this hotel for Last minute vacation goers or "poor college students ;)" who are more about actually going out and enjoying the beach and boardwalk or checking out the restaurants/bars/clubs than staying in their rooms the entire time

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple