“The best motel ever”

Skylark Resort Motel
Ranked #24 of 75 Hotels in Wildwood
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Me,my wife and my son we stay there for one week it's was very nice and clean and the price was perfect the people work in the office they are very nice.
They have small deli&pizzeria right next the motel.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Johnnysunny1234

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We decided on a Sunday to take our kids on a VERY last minute vacation on Thursday---our first family vacation, in fact. Our older kids have been asking for years to go to a beach overnight and for years we told them we couldn't pull it off. This year, for some reason, I decided to take on the challenge and figure out if there was a way we could take them on a surprise trip to the shore. So, on a strict, fairly low budget, I searched. I had no idea where we were going that would allow us nice accommodations near a beach all while reasonably priced. Living in Maryland all we knew was Ocean City and how expensive that could get, especially mid-July. I literally searched ALL day Saturday and Sunday and somehow found Wildwood. I've never been to NJ on vacation before so I had no idea what we were getting into. I went purely off of online reviews and prayed we'd be able to keep two pre-teens and an 18 month old entertained all at the same time. The next obstacle was finding a hotel/house with at least two separate sleeping areas so we'd be able to put the baby down without out the rest of us having to go to sleep at the same time. I found the skylark site off of the "stay and play" portion of Morey's Piers website. I was hesitant to say the least. The website was nice but that didn't mean the rooms were really what they looked like in the pictures. We were limited on room style choices since it was last minute, but we chose the skylark because it looked like it had a table, a bigger fridge, and the layout would work better for our family.

We stayed in room 210. The layout was a little different than what we saw online but still doable. It was a big/small room. If it was just 2-3 people it would be a good sized room. Fitting 2 adults, a 10, 11, and 18 month old in that space was tight, but doable. We brought my son's pack and play and had to squeeze it in the closet area (an area hidden by a curtain--sounds shady but wasn't). We gave the older two the queen bed and my husband and I took the sofa bed (also a queen, I believe) with the thinking we would take my son in the living/kitchen area and keep him occupied in the morning until the older kids woke up. That was good in theory---although there was a pocket door separating the areas, the bedroom area got quite warm when the door was shut. So, my husband took our son out every morning to Britton's bakery (good apple fritters and donuts) for coffee and donuts. It gave the rest of us an extra two hours or so to sleep. Housekeeping did put the sofa bed back into a sofa everyday so when we got back from the pier we were able to use the space as a living area. The table only sat 3 but it was fine for a quick meal in to save us some money. There was a small microwave, a fairly large (medium sized? Bigger than dorm style, but smaller than full size) fridge/freezer combo, a small sink w/ soap/rag, silverware, dishes, etc.

The sofa bed was surprisingly comfortable. Firm---we thought when we first got in in we were going to hate it but when we woke in the morning we both said we slept great. Much more supportive than any other sofa beds I've slept on in the past. The kids said the bed was firm, but comfy. The decor was cute---kinda retro. Seems like it was probably recently remodeled. The kids loved the lava lamps and the other little details near the windows. There were some things like the corners of wallpaper peeling in the bathroom but that didn't seem like a big deal. Especially to me because normally I'm a total freak about sleeping in hotels...to the point I bring my own little sleep sack to sleep and pillow so i don't have to touch the bed. The room was very, very clean. The things like the wallpaper and tile color (a gold/white check) just seemed like the building was little older but not dirty. The sheets were clean and the blanket was fresh (they gave us brand new ones) and nice and fleecy. The comforter on the bed was covered by a duvet--not a nasty bedspread. I think the bath products were all Philosophy brand. The shower wasn't wonderful----little bit of low pressure but that worked out in our favor after we got sunburned and didn't want to be pelted by high water pressure. It wasn't like a trickle---but if you're used to really strong flow you're not going to get it -- at least in room 310.

We didn't use the pool but it looked nice. Closed a little early, in my opinion. I think at 9 or 930pm. There was a continental breakfast of mini muffins, bagels, danishes, juice and coffee. It was enough to hold us over til lunch time. I saw they loaned out bikes/helmets and beach supplies (boogie boards, umbrella, etc.) All of these things were limited but it didn't seem like ppl were waiting in line either. They offered board games as well as a mini arcade room, but we didn't use them.

We bought the stay and play pack---$70 each person for 3 nights (the baby was free). So from 3pm Thursday thru 6pm Sunday we could use all of the piers which was worth every penny. We only used it Fri and Sat and that was worth it!! The kids LOVED both water parks and there was enough to keep all three kids entertained. The older kids loved the rides too. I'd highly encourage buying the tickets for the piers. It was a good walk up to all the piers....but possible if you didn't want to pay for parking. We found some lots that were only $6/day so we found it worth the $ to drive closer to the pier instead of lugging everything up (we took our lunches w/ us). And you can go to the beach from the piers....really is an all in one package.

All of the staff was unbelievably friendly. And not like "I have to be friendly" friendly but genuinely friendly. Like you've known them all your life. Definitely would return and recommend. If you have more than two kids though I'd recommend a suite/cottage, etc.

1  Thank ehannar
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Ive been staying at the Skylark twice per Summer, for 15 yrs now, and there are many reasons why I refuse to stay elsewhere. Aside from my love for it's doo-wop-era them, and warm colors, I appreciate the cleanliness - rooms are spotless (and pre-air conditioned) upon check in, the grounds are bare-foot walkable, trash/recycle cans are constantly emptied, the pool is immaculate. An obsessive neat-freak will be delighted here. I know - I'm one!
Rooms are as fully equipped as a shore motel room should be. C'mon, who needs a 60" plasma TV a block away from the ocean and boardwalk full of entertainment?! You can Keep Up With The Kartrashians when you go back home. And you can get CNN on your phone. Really.
Theres a 2nd level sundeck that gets a full day's sun, and the lounge chairs are actually comfortable - always a bonus, though rare at other motels.
The pool is a modest size, complete with lounge chairs and kids toys/floatation tubes, and facing the setting Summer sun.
Doo-Wop theme with the coolest neon lights, and palm trees = perfect to sit on deck and admire at night, before turning in. God, I wanna live here!
Location is PRIME - block from boardwalk/Great White coaster. Skylark is on Atlantic ave, where most restaurants are lined up, but none are on that block, so youre minus the noise and crowds that gather at restaurants.
Convention Cr. is only a few blocks away, as is the bus station, and a 24/7 Rite Aid. 3am munchies? Noooo problem. Theres even a corner deli attached to the Skylark.
Prices are among the most reasonable you will find anywhere - especially at such a clean, quality motel, in a prime location!
Now as for the staff.......if I say that they are all wayyyy too nice and helpful, I'd be nailing it on the head! Even when I first started staying there - before they knew me - they were always the friendliest people! It's a family owned and maintained motel, so staying there feels like youre a part of that family. Any info on dining, etc, they will help you with, and theres a member in the office 24/7, watching over the place. No unwanted visitors to worry about.
The cherry on the Skylark cake, is Sophia at the front desk! Never anything but a warm smile and pleasant greeting from her. And though I wish she'd let her hair down once in awhile, she even looks cute with it tied back! How many women can pull that off??:-)
I cant wait to go back in a few weeks, for another 10 days!

Room Tip: Ive stayed on both levels, on all sides, and my only preference is on the upper level, where I have...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken W
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We take a trip to Wildwood every year and always stay at the Skylark. My nieces have a blast here at the pool and location is really ideal. We are one block from the board walk and the beach which makes it so easy. The owners are super friendly, and always have great recommendations for us for places to eat. We always have a great time when coming here and will continue to come back every year.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I have been coming to the skylark for 6 years and Its the best! The rooms are clean, location is one block from the boardwalk and just in the center. The owners are extremely nice and go out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. We would never go any place else. Thanks again Skylark.

3  Thank Laura c
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Me,my wife and kids have been coming to wildwood for 8 years now.we decided to stay at skylark motel.The lady at the front desk was a very nice lady named Sophia and helped us to find good restaurants.once we came in the room it smelt and looked very clean.The pool was a good size for me and my kids.overall we had
a great time and will surely come back to the skylark resort!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jbproductions
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This Motel was at best a 2 star. I don't know how people rate this place as good. it is outdated and dirty. The only good thing about it was the location. housekeeping is horrid. the same trash that was on my floor stayed on my floor. remind you she went in the room everyday with a broom. They mop the floor with towels. The location was great we didn't need a car we were just two blocks from the boardwalk. they did bring clean towels and change the sheets everyday which was good. The whole time I was there I slept in my clothes and with the lights on LOL.. The bed was hard as a rock. they have plastic on the mattress so the sheets don't stay on and slide all over the place. I was afraid I was going to be eaten alive (but that didn't happen Thank God). The room smelled staled. The shower had no water pressure and came out in little trinkets. the shower was so dirty and had mold on it. it was disgusting. We had to where flip flops to take a shower and the floor was tile and we dare not walk on that floor bare foot. I would not recommend this place to no one. The price to stay here is pretty expensive $200 plus a night. With that kind of money they need to renovate the place. They do have a pool but it is small and the whole time I did not smell any chlorine???? The boardwalk was tons of fun..

2  Thank Chill2007