“Hidden treasure in Wildwood, NJ”
Review of The Sand Box Motel

The Sand Box Motel
Ranked #3 of 76 Hotels in Wildwood
“Hidden treasure in Wildwood, NJ”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I'm actually writing my review on the way back home because I just couldn't wait to give the Sandbox a great review.

For starters the staff is extremely friendly and helpful; very accommodating from the minute you book your room! The owner was such a nice guy and approached us several times to see how we were enjoying our stay. The Sandbox is one of the few motels that allows guests under 25 to stay and I was so happy that we weren't treated any differently and is also family oriented, which gives it a good vibe.

The rooms are well kept and clean, the AC was already on before we arrived - a nice touch. I definitely see the improvements that Shiv has been making and cannot wait to come back next summer to see all the additional changes. The pool area is large and super clean! It is cleaned on a daily basis and even though it closes at 11 pm, he doesn't kick anyone out if they are hanging out by the pool. We also used the BBQ grills on the deck and it gives the hotel a homey feeling. Not to mention that the owner, Shiv, held a bbq for all the guests - what a great guy!

Overall, my party of 4 defintely enjoyed our stay and we will be back next summer! Thanks Sandbox Motel.

Ps: I cannot believe the negative reviews on here.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Carefreelife
Shiv B, Owner at The Sand Box Motel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Glad you enjoyed the BBQ! I'm happy to hear that you had a nice stay with us. It truly means a lot to us that our guest enjoy their stay and we love hearing feedback. Hope you'll keep us in mind for your next trip!

Shiv, Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Guttenberg, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 August 2014

This is a nice Cozy spot a short Distance from the board walk and well worth the distance.Staff is friendly, neighborhood is nice,very clean and convent to the stores.We took our bikes on this trip and biked in to the boardwalk and attractions which only took us 5 min.This is a place we would defiantly return too!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Shiv B, Owner at The Sand Box Motel, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
I'm so glad you all explored the area on bikes, Richard. It's great to hear that you loved the location as well as our staff. They'll love knowing how well they did in your eyes. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for writing this review!

Until next time,
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed at this motel for 4th of July weekend and it was awesome! I can't even believe the negative comments below. My family and I chose to stay here because of it's location (away from the noisy motels by the boardwalk, but close enough to the beach) and it was great. The staff was very welcoming and accommodated our family of 4 with an extra bed when we realized that we needed more sleeping space.The rooms are a bit outdated, but the new owner of the motel told us that they are in the process of updating their rooms. The swimming pool was well-kept and the patio area includes a BBQ grill for guests to use. We were pleasantly surprised when the owner held a family-friendly BBQ complete with burgers, hot dogs, and delicious watermelon! A perfect way to celebrate the holiday! On the last day of our stay, we asked the front desk for day-trip ideas and they suggested Cape May Whale Watcher which was amazing and I highly recommend it! Overall, our stay at the Sand Box was awesome and my only regret is that I didn't write this review sooner. I'm definitely going to try to stay here again before the summer ends!

Room Tip: If you're not happy about something in your room, tell the front desk. They helped us right away...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Shiv B, Owner at The Sand Box Motel, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
It's great that we could be part of your special family vacation -- thanks so much for choosing us and for writing this review. I love hearing how much you appreciate the location as well as our pool and patio area. I'll pass along your compliments to the rest of the staff and look forward to having you back again soon!

Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The rooms look nothing like the pictures shown on their website! The room was small and very outdated. The tv had horrible reception and it was a tube tv. Their were no phones in the room. The bathroom was so small and confined you really could not move around much at all a big person would really have problems! The shower was horrible and the first night the water was warm not even hot and the shower of course was tiny. The bathroom sink was gross and to just tell you how outdated it was the stopper for the sink was cast iron! Omg for the money they charge they should do some updates. The only good thing about the bathroom was how cute they made the towels look.
The hot tub and pool were gross! They were dirty and both had a scum brown ring around the sides. The hot tub the first night was not even hot and on the second night it did approve heat wise but not clean wise. There was nice seating and a cool sand box for kids!
The king size bed well a little worn out and when we pulled the covers down the sheets were gritty with sand. It was just down right horrible and 5 blocks from the boardwalk.
Our overall stay sucked and I will never visit this establishment again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pam622
Shiv B, Owner at The Sand Box Motel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Hi Pam,

Thank you for your review of our 1960's Doo Wop Style motel. We just took the property over in May and you'll be happy to know we are in the process of getting new TVs, phones, and furniture this winter. I took all the pictures myself for the rooms and they were unaltered. In fact, I used my cell phone camera to take the pictures as I wanted to make sure we didn't give anyone a sense of false advertising, I think you may have been looking at the wrong room type pictures and booked a different room.

We did do some updates to the rooms including all new towels, new curtains, new futon covers, new pillows, some new blankets, new lamps and lamp shades, new eco botanicals line of shampoos, lotions, and conditioners. We also bought new gliders and swings for the pool area along with life jackets for the kids and new kids chairs and some new toys for the sand box. We even bought 4 brand new grills for our guests. Given the updates we made I must say your claim that we didn't do some updates is inaccurate. We know the bathrooms are small and we don't shy away from it as its part of our 60's Doo-Wop style history that much of Wildwood shares with us. We do plan to make updates to the bathrooms, but we ask that our loyal guests allow us some time to get the property into the former glory of the 60's.

As in regards to the pool and spa, We clean the pool deck daily and then keep a constant eye on the spa on an almost hourly basis to ensure the spa is ready to use for the next guests. We're always working to improve, so we really appreciate the feedback here on TripAdvisor. I will definitely discuss your comments with my staff and work hard to improve.

What saddens me about this review is that we work very hard to keep our guests happy as mentioned in our previous reviews and I don't recall a complaint from you regarding your stay. If you had just told one of our staff members, I'm sure we would have acted quickly to make sure you had an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I canceled my reservation 2 weeks ahead of time. The workers assured me that my refund would be processed. I called numerous times over the next 2 weeks asking for a supervisor because I had never received a refund. (Keep in mind Im paying for the interest in the meantime). I finally spoke to a manager who said they never processed the refund. I had to process a claim on discover to get my money back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Meghan N
Shiv B, Owner at The Sand Box Motel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Vacations are supposed to be relaxing, and it sounds like we only added stress to your plate. I'm sincerely sorry for that, Meghan. Although, My records show you were refunded before you filed a claim with Discover just like I had explained to you on the phone. We were in the process of switching from our credit card terminal to online processing and your refund was overlooked by accident. As soon as I was aware of the situation, I corrected it swiftly which was 2 days before you wrote this review. You should have received your refund in about a week with Discover.

What you experienced is very unusual to us. I've looked into the way we handle cancellations to ensure nothing like this happens in the future. I regret that you never got to stay with us, and that this situation has left you with a less-than-stellar impression. I hope that we can have a second chance so that we can show you the type of service you deserve.

Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I recently stayed at the sandbox with my daughter and 3 year old grandaughter for a few days.
The staff is very cordial and very accommodating.
The motel is older, but the rooms and property are immaculate!
I have stayed at far more expensive motels both chain and independently owned in Wildwood and have never such a truly enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Room 11 is an end unit on the second floor and is quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 8dianey
Shiv B, Owner at The Sand Box Motel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
That really means a lot to us! If you ever need a place to stay in Wildwood again, give us a call.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Sand Box for two nights last week. We found the owner, the maids and the pool guy friendly and accommodating. The place is very clean and away from all the noise of mid-town Wildwood.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Shiv B, Owner at The Sand Box Motel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
We're happy we could provide you with a clean and peaceful stay! If you ever find yourself wanting a mini vacation, feel free to give us a call.