“Great stay”

Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in Wildwood
Kingston, Canada
“Great stay”
Reviewed 6 September 2008

Arrived Labour Day, for a 3 night stay. Check in was quick, reception is located in Main building. Confusing at first as no signs direct you to reception. Everyone checks the lounge building in front of the pool. We had a 2 room suite, which we were able to get for the price of a single room. The rooms were a good size, and the bathroom was very clean. Bed was comfortable as well. Breakfast was served in the mornings, consisting of bagels and muffins, as well as coffee, tea and juices. Never used the pool as we always headed to the beach. Short walk to the boardwalk, then about 1/3 of a mile to the water. Beach was great. Overall our stay was great and we had a great time. Many places to eat within walking distance of the motel.

• Liked — walking distance to everything
  • Disliked — Having to park the car across the street, as the lot is very small at motel. Not a big deal thou.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
New York, NY
Reviewed 3 September 2008

A friend of mine suggested I should do a review of the Starlux... I did stay there awhile back but I feel my experience is pretty relevant to this discussion.

The Starlux might look cool and be a landmark destination that attracts people with its retro-theme but beware! This place is not as unique as portrayed; so please read before you shell out an exorbitant amount of money for this place.

A cool, retro exterior appears on 1 side of the building and the rest of the design was neglected or abandoned. Shouldn't architecture address 3-dimensions? The back of the hotel is a total disgrace with a huge unused concrete slab that could be used for parking.

OK, onto the room; I got the standard hotel room that advertised 1 queen sized bed; in all honesty, it appeared to be a full size. The room was very small, no chair or seating area but with thin tabletop / dresser furniture and laughable closet that had a shower curtain instead of a slider or door! The bathroom was a joke!!! When I walked into it, I didn't think I had a toilet because it was around a corner and enclosed in a very narrow, tight space. The water pressure was weak and had enough warm water for a 5 minute shower. The bed linens did not smell clean; they had a musty and smoky smell... I stripped the bed and was glad I brought my own comforter and towels (something I normally do). The overall design of the room had some retro shapes and colors but the lava lamp is really out of place; Doo Wop is late 1950s-early 1960s and lava lamps are late 1960s- early 1970s.

My friends and I were at the Starlux during Cheerfest or one of the cheerleading events being held at the Convention Center. Girls were screaming, yelling, running from the time I arrived until the time I left. Also, 2 of my friends who were in room 301 got an early morning wake up when the Doo Wop music started blasting out of the speaker; right outside of their room.

I am from the Cape May County area and now live in NYC; I am used to paying top dollar for things and this whole experience was a huge disappointment. Everything seems to be based upon some "upscale ideal" but there is nothing extraordinary or unique about this place. It feels like someone slapped some retro architecture on top of a Days Inn and added an expensive price tag.

If you really want an outstanding, memorable Doo Wop lodging experience, go to the Caribbean. These owners know the true meaning of Wildwood because they focus on authentic details and offer reasonable rates for all the rooms they have. You could extend your trip by a week from all the money you'd save!

• Liked — Retro theme but lacks attention to detail
  • Disliked — Too expensive for size of small room and too few amenities, not very clean, odd layout of room, inadequate parking, etc.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
5 Thank kristen773
Danbury, CT
Reviewed 17 August 2008

Stayed Aug 11, 2008 for three nights. Booked a Double/Double room. Not worth the price. Paid $678.00 + tax. The room was very small. One adult and two teens had a very hard time moving around. Not up to standard in appearance or cleanliness. Very poor water pressure in shower. Wireless internet did not work from the room. Had to go down to lounge to connect. Poor on site parking - must park offsite across the street. Continental breakfast was below average. Repair men kept coming in and out to repair electrical outlets!
The hotel is directly on the main road into Wildwood. (Rio Grande) and is therefore very noisey. As far as Doo Wop motels go - liked th Caribbean better. It's cheaper, cleaner and better location.

• Liked — Staff was friendly
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Springfield, PA
Reviewed 29 July 2008

We stayed in room 412. A two bedroom with a balcony. The balcony overlooked the Wildwoods sign and was close to the convention center. There is a subway and a ice cream shop across the street. Its a little far from the amusements, but you can take the famous "Tramcar" down.

When we arrived we were greeted warmly although the phone was ringing off the hook. When our room was ready we were very pleasantly surprised. Both bedrooms and the living area had a tv. The balcony faced the boardwalk and ocean and the Wildwood sign. It was a perfect little place to sit and enjoy the view. My husband and I hung out there until 2am when we had to get to bed!

We took our boys to the ice cream parlor across the street that I think is open until midnight. Definately a DO!

When we were checking out we saw the housekeepers literally on their knees cleaning the room next door. The room was clean and comfortable with a fridge and microwave. There is an ironing board and iron and toilettries there for you. Plenty of towels too.

The breakfast is ok with bagels & cream cheese, danish and muffins. OJ and Tomato juice and coffee & tea. There was no milk which I like in the morning.

There is a game room with vending machines. They offer $10 some local restaurants when you check in.

Although it was short stay we loved our time at the Starlux!

• Liked — The 50's Doo Wop decor
  • Disliked — We had to leave so soon, and it was a little pricey
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Lebanon, PA
Reviewed 20 July 2008

We stayed at the StarLux Hotel for 4 days in June '08. Upon our arrival we were greeted at the check in desk by a friendly and very helpful clerk. Our check in was easy and quick. We found our room to be very clean. The room had a small deck which was a nice place to sit outside and enjoy the view. The amenities were as advertised.

The location of the hotel was also great. It was in walking distance of the beach, boardwalk and a wide range of places to eat. The hotel staff was very helpful and the hotel was a pleasant place to stay. The pool and hot tub were clean and the deck area was well maintained.

Overall the Starlux was a great place to stay and we would definately stay at the StarLux again!

Stayed June 2008
New Jersey
Reviewed 3 July 2008

This is my second time in this hotel. I`am a single mother and I love to do things with my daughter , she love the rides and the water parks.The pricing for the room is perfect . I find out that I could buy tickets for the parks at you hotel for 1/2 price per person this is so great that I stay another day. Thank You this let me have a little vacasion with my daughter.I hope to be there next year. Please tried to keep you pricing the same so more single parent can have little vacasion with there kids.I recomended you hotel to a few people.

• Liked — price and location
  • Stayed June 2008
Baltimore
Reviewed 25 June 2008

During my first stay at Wildwood I was relaxed and extremely happy with The Starlux.
The Starlux was in walking distance to everything which was good because my group was making it a primary goal not to take a car anywhere.
The rooms are VERY clean and the retro feel was amazing. I was afraid there'd be ratty, old furniture and I was also worried about the cleanliness.
The rooms had a modern, retro twist to them which made them comfortable. The walls were bright and colorful and I was amazed at how the kitchen was decorated.
The pool was amazingly clean and very large for a maximum amount of room to breath. I've had many trips before where the pool was so small it took away from the experience but this pool was perfect and CLEAN.
The elevators were fast, the stairs were clean, and the vending, washing machines, etc. were amazing.
The cleanliness of the motel was outstanding and although I did not get to see the glassed in lobby it looked amazing.
The staff was welcoming and extremely caring. Anything you neeed they were there for.
All in all I reccomend The Starlux to anyone. Your experience in Wildwood will never be the same once you stay at The Starlux, you'll feel at home and welcomed!!

• Liked — Cleanliness, service.
  • Disliked — Noise, but it was minimal.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wildwood
Aqua Beach Resort
#9 of 76 in Wildwood
Blue Palms
Blue Palms
#8 of 76 in Wildwood

Been to The StarLux Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!