“I cried when i got there, and smiled when i finally got to leave” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Clifton Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wildwood
The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #66 of 76 Hotels in Wildwood
Glassboro, New Jersey
“I cried when i got there, and smiled when i finally got to leave”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

A group of my friends and i stayed for an extended weekend in the Clifton Annex. Let me tell you how it was the most rancid place i've ever been in. I do not understand how the owners find it acceptable to rent this place out. Its dirty, smelly, and things were already broken when we got there. We spent hours cleaning, so it was cleaner by the time we left then when we got there AND we still didnt receive the full $750 back for the security deposit. The owners are crazy. Laura(one of the owners) was walking around with a knife looking for intruders without wrist bands. Her son was especially crazy. I don't know much about drugs, but i'm pretty sure he was on them.The owner came up into our rental space numerous times. A friend of ours came up to say hi and walk to the boardwalk with us was chased out of the place and threatened to have the police come for him. if you wanted a friend to come up for five minutes or the whole day, you had to pay $25. If they were to stay the night they had to pay $50. They checked everyone's wristbands when leaving or coming back to the residence. The fridge wasnt cold when we got there and then two days later it was freezing everything. The whole place just felt dirty. The couches were musty.The lighting was terrible, it always seemed really dim.The owner had a firetruck, and used half of the parking lot for it. We tried to spend as little time as possible there during our five day stay there. The owners told us we could come on a Wednesday night, so some of our friends went first and she denied them access to the annex and made them drive home (2hrs away) only to come back the next afternoon at 2pm to check in. The pots and pans were basically unusable. That along with the appliances were from probably the 1960's. We were only able to cook one of the nights, which was a waste of all the ingredients we bought.
The owners definitely took advantage of us because of our age. The only good thing about The Clifton Annex was the front deck, location, and the neighbors we met. I would not recommend this place to anyone else, ever. I wouldn't go back if someone payed the outrageous fee for me. i hope they get shut down because they are ripping people off and can barely speak English.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank mikaela P

Solo
Business
Tappan, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

First of all this when booking you need to give a $75.oo deposit. You will never see that again! The management keeps it for recyclables and for vacuuming sand out of rooms(there are across from the beach) Bring yr own toilet paper because they dont provide, the managemnt is crazy to say the least... the wife tells the husband to shut up or she will put him back in the hospital. YIKES! .place is a dive, dirt,y dirty run down. It should be condemned.!!! they take advantage of high schoolers.the woman who runs it hangs up on you and is the nastiest person to encounter if their is a problem
NEVER i mean Never ever.. stay here ... You will be sorry

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank maryjane60

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood hotels

Jersey CIty, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

It's not the worst hotel in which I've ever stayed. The rooms are small and not in great shape, but I came to spend time on the boardwalk and beach, not my hotel room. The location is actually rather good and it's pretty cheap for the most part. If you are on a budget, it'll do in a pinch. If you've waited until the last minute and you are on a budget, this might be your only realistic option.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank daltonames2
philadelphia, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2008

Upon arriving at this hotel on the morning after my junior prom, some thoughts from the movie Accepted came to mind, like the birthplace of crack, or a hepatitis c contraction hotspot. Upon entering my room i was happy for my recently purchased hobostab insurance. Originally two people were staying there but i got someone to go with me so our party was upgraded to 4. I'm fairly certain that instead of giving us a bigger room, they just put another queen size bed in the same two person room. There were so many roaches in the room, I actually had to tell them to leave cause there was nowhere for them to sleep. There was only one microwave in the building, we had to wait in line in the hallway to make popcorn that burned after 45 seconds. i was afraid to wash my hands because the water looked dirtier than my own excrement. And you'd figure for this place at least the money would be less than a weeks paycheck, even for a high school student. i had to dip into my savings account for the $265 for two nights.
All in all do not stay here.

• Liked — Nothing really fits this categorie. I guess check-in was easy enough
  • Disliked — The Clifton Hotel
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
7 Thank clifhater91
Ozzie S, Owner at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
The Clifton Hotel collects deposits for each and every transaction,like most hotels have a policy to follow.
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

When we call the hotel we spoked to "Laura" the manager of the hotel, she told us that the place that we were going to rent had to separated rooms with a doble bed each room and that there was a small kitchen with a micorwave and a refrigerator, she also told us that the swimming pool was inside of the hotel ( we asked about this because we know that there are many small hotels that share the swimming pool in Wildwood).
When we got into the hotel we were really disappointed, because it was and old building and there was no swimming pool around the hotel, a lady who was comming out the hotel told us that the swimming pool that corresponded to the hotel was accross the street and it was relatively small for the three other hotels which theClifton hotel had to share it with.
When we got into the office we felt a strong smell. We asked if that was the building where we had our room and the old guy told us that it was upstairs, Laura the manager took us upstairs and while we were going she told us that she did not want to deal with any other problem, because she already had one hours before, and that she was not in a good mood. When we got into the room we felt the same smell and we were even more disappointed, because it was only one small room with two doble beds, there was no small kitchen or a refrigerator in the place and there was no TV in the room either. The bathroom smelled even worse and the door of the bathroom was right next to one of the beds, there was no place to walk around or to put stuff in.
When we asked Laura what happened to the place she told us that she was going to rent us, she told us that this was it and she denyed that she told us about the two rooms and that the other accomodations(tv microwave and refrigerator) were for an extra charge, which she never mention in the three conversations that we had before when we called her to set our reservation), she also denyed about telling us that the hotel didn't share the swimming pool.
We tried to get to an agreement since she didn't fulfill her requirements, but all of the sudden the old lady started to get loud and started to go crazy telling us to leave the hotel. We agreed to leave since we didn't want to spend our vacation time in a place like that. But we first wanted our deposit back, since she did not want us in the hotel, the last thing she could do was to give us back our money. But she didn't, she insted kept on yelling us and her housband told us the same, so we decided to leave and solve the problem directly with our credit card services.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Everything other than location was horrible!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank SM18_8
Ozzie S, Owner at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
The clifton Hotel offers 1 and 2 beds per room if requested size of the room is not advertized because our hotels are not like the others ,see pics,Our exterior pool sits outside !see pics
South Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2007

So.. I rented this place for prom weekend. I visited Laura & ernie before renting, and they were all cool saying drinking would be no big deal, just dont let them see it, and they seemed very nice. well, once me and my friends payed over $4,000 dollars (there were 20 of us), the madness began. I cannot even begin to explain all the messed up things they did-- just read the other stories, these people are INSANE and I am definately going back to wildwood, to stand outside this place, and discourage people from renting from these wackos. WORST PLACE EVER!! the only reason i am thankful i went there is now i have hilarious stories to share with my friends because it was so BAD there is nothing to do but laugh at it now. I read the bad reviews before I booked, and i thought it couldn't be that bad, ill do it anyway. well i'm warning you.. DONT DO IT!!!!!

• Stayed June 2007
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Bmm56
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2005

Staying at the Clifton Hotel was AMAZING.. it was the best time of my life.. the owners were reasonable with prices/rooms/days & nights.. They of course want to make sure their is nothing going on in the hotel.. but they worked very well with me and my friends, as long as we respected them they respected us.. it was the best time of my life.. we were allowed to have guest to "add on" for the night.. or day pass.. for very low price. They are only a block away from the boardwalk.. they had an inground pool.. that was heated at night so we could swim even if it got a little chilly. The room we had was really nice.. especially for the price we paid.. compared to all the other hotels.. clifton is my absolute favorite and i will b back everyyyy summer. i am even taking my senior classmates down for a senior skip week/ weekend.. i cant wait!!

• Stayed August 2005