“Grossly misrepresented and Unsanitary”
Review of Mango Motel

Mango Motel
Ranked #54 of 76 Hotels in Wildwood
“Grossly misrepresented and Unsanitary”
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We had a very unfortunate experience made worse by who we believe is the owner-operator. Upon arrival, after negotiating baggage up a precarious staircase, we found our room with ants on the bed and two rather large flies buzzing around the room. When I pulled the mattress out to investigate the ants, I immediately noticed this was a platform bed on a very shoddy platform. Not the queen beds shown on the website. I was also told there would be two beds. Actually the second bed was a cot. When trying to turn on the AC my wife discovered what appeared to be black dirt or possibly mold. I used the restroom and tried to open the window slats but the crank would not budge. I discovered a significant portion of the window screen was torn. One window didn't even have a screen. I tried to put some bags away and discovered that the closet area near the cot which was separated by a plastic divider of some kind wasn't usable as there was some kind of electrical conduit.

Needless to say this room was in no condition for occupancy, was not accurately represented on the web site, and the unsanitary conditions would pose a health risk to anyone let alone my wife and child both of which are asthmatic. We had to scramble to find a new hotel for now which we are paying double, on top of a pending charge for our original accommodation. Unfortunately he said he had no other available rooms.

Contacted the owner shortly after the departure. He refused to discuss the matter of reimbursement till morning. Fair enough. After relaying what had occurred, he said he was willing to refund the balance of our stay but insisted on keeping a full first night charge downplaying my concerns. When I expressed that the room was not accurately represented and was unsanitary he said he was ending the conversation. I even offered to return and do a walk through. When I advised that I would have no choice but go through alternate channels he said I was threatening him and that he would issue no refund whatsoever and became belligerent.

Perhaps the core rooms are reasonably represented, but the room we were given appeared to be some kind of addition made after the fact. This was grossly misrepresented and the gentleman we dealt with should reconsider the level of customer service he provides especially when we made a good faith effort to resolve this amicably.

• Stayed August 2013
8 Thank Amongshadows

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Burlington, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The hotel manager gave us a hard time and sat outside our room waiting for us to make noise or something to take away our security deposit. He wasn't very accommodating and generally gave us bad attitude. Not recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Alex K
Frank M, Owner at Mango Motel, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
I did stop by this guests room at 3 am after a few guests had complained about noise from the room . I entered room with guest to find beer cans and bottles every where . All the sheets and bed coverings were on the floor. This was a group of 25 year olds who were down for Frisbee tournament. . AS they were sitting on bed with all coverings on floor ,I noticed that they had spilled beer on brand new mattress and told them to recover bed. I was upset that mattress was being ruined . Also first thing that morning they called me to say that they broke mirror in bathroom. I had taken a security deposit from group to protect against damage . I kept there security deposit to pay for damaged mirror and bed covering. When I told guests that they would lose there security deposit they told me they would write a bad review .This group was from a IVY league college in Central NJ . I cant believed how they behaved .

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood hotels

Monroe, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Frank was by far the worst owner of any hotel that I have personally stayed at. He came by often for no reason at all and did not allow us to party freely since the bed sheets were not completely covered (occured while we were sober). He is rude and is nearly impossible to reason with. I would never stay at this hotel again. Ruined my weekend and my entire vacation.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Daniel C
Frank M, Owner at Mango Motel, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
This is same group I responded from previous review . A group of 25 yrs olds down for Frisbee tournament . They partied all night till 4 am .They spilled beer on brand new mattress after removing all bed coverings from bed ?? They broke mirror in bathroom , and lost there security deposit . After I informed guest that security deposit was lost to pay for damage , they informed me that they were going to write BAD reviews. I offered them a clean room ,a nice place to stay and they did not respect property or other guests.
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Very pleased with our stay. We rented one of the apartment suites for our family. Short walk to the beach/boardwalk. Balcony was in the shade all day. Was able to watch the fireworks on Friday from it. The front desk/office is not staffed but owners returned messages in a timely manner. House keeping staff is awesome! Clean, comfortable, we will stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank John J
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

My family and I are on a very tight budget, but it was me and my husbands 5 year anniversary and we thought we'd make a small trip out of it, and my mom and sister came as well. It was our 1st trip vacation in 5 yrs. Being that we are on a budget, we appreciated the inexpensive prices at the Mango. We booked a double room and a single queen rm. upon arrival, we find out that the double room for my mom and sister is a tiny shoebox of a room with One double bed under a stair case right in front of the trash containers. When my mom, an elder lady, slightly hard of hearing and with an accent in English expressed her annoyance with the situation, a RUDE man named Frank raised his voice at her and pointed at her with his finger and told her to Quiet now and gave an ultimatum either stay in the room and leave him alone, or pay an extra $85 and get a room with 2 beds or we can check out and leave. Not even an appology was extended from that man for the misunderstanding. Just yelled and was overly rude. The rm with the queen bed was a bit larger, hut still dingy. Sheets were not too clean, I had brought sheets with me from home so I just put those on the bed. There were 2 hairs between the towels in the shower. Also, when I called the hotel to confirm my reservation, they said they were 1 Block from the boardwalk, but they are 2 blocks... I felt deceived and disrespected. This was the 1st impression of what are I only vacation would be. I was very said, my family was upset, even tho it's cheap I wouldn't stay there again. I'd rather stay home than be disrespected like that again.

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank Jewls10
Plains, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I would have to say that the owners, Frank and his wife, are angels from heaven. After getting stuck out of town I had to forfeit a night at the Mango Motel that was paid for. I spoke to Frank and asked if he would let me know if he had any cancellations so that I would be able to stay another night. Well, Frank did better than that!! He and his wife gave us a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath condo for free!! The condo was absolutely beautiful! I will definitely return to the Mango Motel again because Frank and his wife are such wonderful people. They went above and beyond for us and I will always be thankful to them. Perfect Vacation!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chrisbekele
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I found this motel on booking.com and have to say for our first time visiting Wildwood (myself, my best friend and my 2 small children), this was definitely a great place with great accommodations! The owners were extremely friendly and helpful, you cant find a better rate in this area (we looked), close to the beach and boardwalk, convenient parking and nice atmosphere. I cannot wait to go back and will definitely be staying at Mango Motel again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family