“Lovingly restored and maintained motel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caribbean Motel

Caribbean Motel
Ranked #34 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Lovingly restored and maintained motel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were looking for comfort and fun, and that's what we got at the Caribbean Motel. Everywhere you look is a feast for the eyes. And on special weekends, an actual feast is also served up.
We joined an island party with pulled pork, black eyed peas, and plenty of sides to keep the vegetarians among us happy. All accompanied by a poolside steel drum band. We loved the friendly, laid back atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We reserved a room with queen-sized bed and kitchenette for Memorial Day weekend package. When we arrived, the surly staff literally tossed a key at us and locked the office up tight. The room had a double bed, no appliances, and a ghastly odor of mildew. Since no one was available at the office to rectify the matter, we walked over to the Adventurer and found a lovely, comfortable room. The next morning, we did receive a refund after being told that we had been given the key to the wrong room. We had no interest in staying, since the accommodations at the Adventurer were so very nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carla K
Margaret A, Front Office Manager at Caribbean Motel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
I am sorry to say that you had a bad experience at check in time, the room you reserved is one of our small rooms, we did offer to change your room but we do understand that you weren't happy with the room. We are happy that you did get to enjoy your weekend in the Wildwoods area.
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Booked a Labor Day weekend stay at the Caribbean after careful research and it was on the money. This is as advertised. A well cared for, renovated, clean, comfortable property run by a friendly, accomadating staff. Crescent shaped pool is clean and warm. Adults get the pool for an hour in the evening which doesn't matter because even during a busy holiday weekend there was plenty of space in the pool all day. The owners treated their holiday guests to a mexican night with margaritas and tacos on Friday, and a pig roast on Saturday. An unexpected extra that was delicious. That treat saved us money on what was already one of the lower priced rooms in the crest. The location is also a plus. It is a block and one half from the start of the boardwalk. For three dollars you can take the tram car to the north end of the boardwalk and walk back stopping along the way at all the spots you noted on the ride north. There are enough restaurants within walking distance to satisfy including a great breakfast spot called Key West Cafe. I never moved my car! Thanks Margie!

Room Tip: There are only two floors so try for one on the second floor on the cabana (east) side of the pool...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Glendora, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I LOVE THE CARIBBEAN!!!! The decor, the atmosphere, the staff, the owners, the guests....all were so very very nice. Our room was great to be in, bed was good, etc, etc. My favorite was the Cabana, it was like walking into my mother's apartment when I was a child, the furniture, lamps all were what I remember of the late 50's and 60's. We will definetely be back many times. Booking soon for Memorial Day and next Labor Day. Even my children who are in their 20's thought it was "banging", and want to return again. Thank you to all for making my 4 day weekend a wonderful one.

Kathy B.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, trust you will get the best when booking at this motel!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathleen B
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Love the Doo Wop vibe. I had a friend coming in from Florida and I wanted to show her Wildwood. I wanted a typical, kitschy old-style Wildwood hotel that reminded me of my childhood. The Caribbean fit the bill perfectly. Aside from that, it was clean and convenient to the beach and boardwalk. The staff was super friendly and helpful. I'll definitely return with my family for a vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Pleasant Valley, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

My good friend, Jason and I were forced to check out of our dilapidated motel in the middle of Wildwood Crest, NJ considering we were duped by blurry pictures and the false promise of Wi-Fi. Every other motel in the area was either booked or astronomically expensive. We were in the position to suffer in this rat trap or go home a day early. (I understand things do not always work out in life, but the breaks should happen on one's rare vacations.) We were at the mercy of another motel to take us on as guests. The Caribbean Motel was kind enough to let us stay there for two full nights despite the required 3-night minimum for Labor Day. The crescent-shaped pool is beautiful and heated. We also saved money on food considering they cook for us every night and provide free beer. The family atmosphere was also warm and welcoming. If you are traveling solo then you will not feel alone. Furthermore, they made me feel welcome and at ease, which does not always happen in these types of resorts because I have Asperger's syndrome and tend to give people the heebie-jeebies when they do not understand my harmless quirks. The staff was also tolerant toward some of my silly questions (that could have been answered by reading the welcome envelope) and were attentive to any concerns I had with the room. On another important note, it is located only a thirty-second walk from the beach and boardwalk. The place seeps with nostalgia from the 1950s as far as scenery, room ambience, music, and is total contrast from many of the condominiums that have sprouted up like cement weeds since my last family vacation to Wildwood Crest, NJ at age 7 in the late 1980s. The Caribbean Motel is part of the Doo Wop Motel District, which seeks to recapture an era destroyed by relentless progress. They seem very attentive toward constant improvement and even gave us a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) to give them compliments or criticism. I recommend this motel to anyone who wants a beautiful vacation to recapture old memories in a beach paradise that has been screwed by modernization in some parts or create new memories...

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Just be sure to close the curtains if you want privacy because some of the roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank JesseASaperstein
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed here for almost a week. The photos we saw online were gorgeous. The only gorgeous part of the motel is the common area, or lounge. But it was steaming hot since the AC wasn't turned on.

When we got to our room, the place looked outdated and felt dirty. There is a difference between retro and just being OLD. It smelled moldy. The carpet in the room was probably originally from the 1950s and never replaced. It looks nasty, actually. Shag carpet is cool and all, but not when it is so flat from years of wear and tear. I am sure it is clean, but how clean can carpet be when it's been there for over 50 years? The bathroom has not been updated since the 50s and the sink and tub looked rusty. I understand that it is retro, but at least update the place since you pay a premium to stay there.

The location is ok. You are about 1-2 big blocks from the ocean. Parking is very tight, but it's free.
Best thing about the hotel? The awesome doo-wop style sign outside.

People fall for this "retro" doo-wop crap, and think they should pay a lot for the retro experience. Don't kind yourself into thinking this is retro modern cool.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
#38 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Aztec Resort Motel
Aztec Resort Motel
#20 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Caribbean Motel? Share your experiences!