“great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
New York City, New York
“great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

This is the second time we stayed in this hotel. We love it the first time. I was looking for an oceanfront hotel for a weekend get-away with my family and I found this hotel. The first year, we stayed here on Father's Day and I got a package rate which was $500 for 2 nights with a dinner, snacks and a gift. It was a great deal. This year, we stayed in July and we were paying more for the rooms. For $335/night plus tax, I find it too much. The rooms even if they were big, they looked tired. It desperately needs updating. The beach even in July is too cold. Since the beach is public, it gets very crowded. We had to rent an umbrella and 2 chairs for $25.
I have mixed feelings with this hotel since I like the people that run it and we love the location. I just find the price is too high for this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

The rooms need updating, very small, your typical motel except it's a "hotel". Pool is gross, the lounge chairs dirty and need updating. The hot tub was cold. The restaraunt food was horrible. They wouldn't allow my friend and family check in an hour early on a horribly rainy day! No WiFi or cellular access.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dweissify68
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

I write this review with mixed feelings. I gave Reges 4 stars because it has gorgeous views of the beach, the staff was very professional and experienced, and what I was looking for was a beachfront hotel that could accomodate a family on NJ shore. The reason we did not have the best time had more to do with Wildwood than with the hotel. I think we would have enjoyed Cape May more but we had a difficult time finding a B&B there that would accomodate a family of 4 in our price range. As for the hotel, it would have been nice to have a restaurant open for dinner but we really enjoyed Jersey Girl and some restaurants in Cape May. There was a lot of traffic around dinner time. Also the beach was gorgeous to look at but too cold in July to really swim in. You had to pay for chair/umbrella rentals and some people were not considerate in parking their stuff right in front of you, so the beach experience was not what we hoped for. This is not the hotel's fault but it did impact our enjoyment of its' primary attraction. Good points for the hotel was its size, oceanview, cleanliness and professional staff. Price was also reasonable

Room Tip: we stayed on 8th floor, great view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Guaiguai
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We had just returned from our week long vacation at The Reges Resort. After reading all of the wonderful reviews my self, my husband and our 2 children decided this was the place for us. I had stayed in Wildwood Crest many years ago when I was a child and always had fond memories of our vacations. I did my research and knew was to expect being in the southern end of the crest. It was less crowded which we loved being close enough, but far enough away from the boardwalk. After reading the last persons review, all of Wildwood beach is a distance away and it is not a private beach. While I do agree that some updating is necessary newer televisions and in room safes would be a wonderful thing, the rooms were always kept immaculate. Not just in Wildwood Crest, but before every vacation we always plan ahead. We look at reviews for not only the hotel, but restaurants and always make sure to have addresses to make things easier. We will definitely be recommending this hotel to our friends and family.

Room Tip: All rooms with the exception of the first floor have amazing views of the ocean. The 2 northern end...
1 Thank Ann P
Wilkes-Barre Twp. Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

I was excited about staying at the Reges based on all of the other reviews I found on Tripadvisor, but I must say that I was disappointed. Basically, it was like being stuck in the '70's. The rooms are very clean, but are in desperate need of remodeling. The ocean view was not what I expected. We were right above the pool, and the ocean seemed like a block away. If you are elderly, or disabled, you may have a hard time getting to the beach. It's a long walk. Another problem is that the Reges is located so far away from everything. You need to drive to get dinner, drive to get to the boardwalk, drive to get anywhere. Restaurants are hard to find, if you are not used to the WIldwood Crest area. Research restaurants and get directions BEFORE you get to Wildwood. The local people aren't friendly. It seemed like we were in the middle of some small private town, and they didn't like outsiders. On Saturday, the sun was out and it was hot, so the beach was overcrowded, mostly with locals. The beach at the Reges did not appear to be private.

Also, if you arrive before your room is ready, they have two bathrooms, not changing rooms, and they aren't very clean.

I think this hotel is very overpriced.

Some little tid-bits:

What is funny about "the Crest," is that, although it boasts itself as a dry town, you will be surprised at how many mommies and daddies are openly drinking on the beach.

If you are a young family with very young children, I would say between the ages of 2 and 8, and you plan on turning in by 9:30 p.m., this is an ideal place to stay. Older children will be very bored after the sun goes down, unless you plan on driving somewhere.

A vacation is what you make it. My family and I still had an amazing time, but I was not impressed with the Reges.

1 Thank Patricia B
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We have stayed several times at the Reges over the past 10 years. Location is perfect on the beach in quieter Wildwood Crest and the rooms here, especially on the higher floors, offer fabulous views of the beach. Rooms are very clean and housekeeping do a great job on a daily basis.
However the furniture and rugs (some stains) are getting dated and will need replacement. The sofa bed is basically like sleeping on a box spring. The TV in the bedroom is about the size of an ipad. Wifi was not working the week we were there but we were told they will replace the system for next year. Staff was helpful and we had a wonderful vacation.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Reges last year and really liked it. It is a very clean hotel with a low key vibe. We tried to plan a last minute get away and I was actually told there were 2 rooms available for our family of 5 for the dates we were looking at. My kids ecstatic and jumping up and down! The reservation process took forever, albeit the woman in the phone was very friendly. But as she was updating our info in the system with needing my children's names and date of birth, the two rooms got reserved right out from under me to the next receptionist standing right next to the woman I was trying to book a room with! To be fair I was offered a much smaller room with an offer to put a cot in there. I told her I needed to think about it and after seeing the devastated looks on my kids faces I immediately called back as I figured it was better than nothing! I got a different receptionist who must have been the other one who sold the rooms and she basically told me we wouldn't fit our family in there with an oh well attitude. Needless to say, it was the best thing that happened as we found a room at another hotel and had the best vacation ever!

• Stayed August 2013
#2 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Pan American Hotel
Pan American Hotel
#3 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Reges Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!