This was our 1st time to Wildwood. Loved the area, beach and activities ... but were very disappointed in the Reges. This is not to say that many guests whom we spoke with didn't enjoy their stay, it was just that we were led to believe 1 thing and got nothing like we expected. Basically, Do Not Stay In A B-Room!!
After reading the reviews here, we decided to go with the Reges to celebrate our anniversary with a private balconied room overlooking the beach. When I booked our reservations 4 months ago, I asked if it was one of the remodeled rooms [yes] and was it on the ground floor [no] because we wanted to overlook the beach and not the pool front.
Well, when we arrived we found that we were in Room #201. This is a 2nd level corner room. Upon opening our drapes, we see that our "private balcony" is located 3 feet across from the rooftop patio that's over the kids’ arcade. Standing there in front of us is a group of 15-20 people making and eating their dinner. (I could almost touch the back of the BBQ and trashcan that was directly in front of me.)
When I returned to the front desk to request a new room, it appeared that they were ready for me. The 1st thing they said was that "Sorry, but that is considered a private balcony because it has a fence around it and our other B-Room(s) are booked." When I said I would take anything else and pay for an upgrade, they said that they were full, but that they would put me on a list in case something became available." They didn't seem to be overly friendly or apologetic about the situation.
Thank goodness for my wonderful wife. She basically said that our room wouldn't bother her since we really wouldn't be spending too much time there and she didn't want to spend a day of our vacation looking at other hotels. (Ah, the calming voice in our relationship!) And our room was basically clean so we went with it.
Well, we got to chat with a few other guests over the next couple of days as they had BBQs. Nice folks, but I couldn't believe we were paying $240+ a night for this. Each day we would check with the front desk and were told that nothing else was available.
Note: The Reges has a nice pool and a small hot tub that is intended for their guests only, but several times other people visiting the beach stopped in to enjoy themselves. Not much of a problem, but I noticed 1 afternoon when trying to find a unoccupied chair by the pool, that a person with the Reges staff had placed towels on 7 chairs to reserve them for a family who came from another NJ town to visit with them, but who were not staying at the Reges. This was a bit annoying since most of the other pool chairs were in use.
Again, many people said that they liked their rooms, but not us. Luckily, Wildwood and Cape May had so many things for a family to do that we had a good time despite the Reges.
PS: If you get the chance, have a slice of plain cheese pizza at Mack's on the boardwalk. It was the best I've had in a couple of years.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We at the Reges Oceanfront Resort in beautiful Wildwood Crest are proud of our oceanfront accommodations and resort amenities. Widely recognized for our cleanliness and exemplary hospitality service, the Reges is family owned and operated, celebrating over 40 years of service. All 75 rooms and suites, most with kitchenettes, are oceanfront with private balconies. We take pride in continually updating and enhancing our resort property and amenities to ensure that our guests have a most comfortable, relaxing and enjoyable stay. Our experienced staff strives to ensure that all our guests feel right at home and that each stay with us is a special one. Whether you choose to put your feet up or seek adventure, we have the experience you're searching for. Our resort island offers diversity of recreational activities, restaurants, shopping and family entertainment within immense natural beauty that will satisfy any passion. The possibilities for a day of complete relaxation or non-stop action are endless. Come play and relax at the Jewel of the Crest! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Reges Oceanfront Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reges Oceanfront Hotel Wildwood Crest
- Reges Oceanfront Wildwood Crest