“Great View Outside, Not so Great Inside”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bal Harbour Hotels

and 1 more site!
Bal Harbour Hotels
Ranked #29 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Chicago, Illinois
“Great View Outside, Not so Great Inside”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The view from our room was spectacular. That is why I gave the hotel three stars. There was more space in the suite than in other properties. It was clean. The pool is larger than at many other hotels in the Wildwoods.

Otherwise.....We had a three room suite. There was an "air conditioning" unit in each room. When they were turned on, it sounded like a rocket was about to take off....so uncomfortably loud. When we arrived, the units were on, but it was really hot. It was about 9:30 at night. The hotel manager informed me that he called the maintenance man, but it could take up to an hour for him to get on site. In the end, we found out that some main switch had been flipped off. The maintenance man informed me that this happens often. Turns out he was right. It happened three more times during our six night stay. Even when it was supposedly working, the air conditioners made the room cooler, but not really refreshing and the noise never subsided.

We were never offered the opportunity to switch to the other building, which I was told by other guests has better air. Nor were we offered any compensation for our trouble. Like many hotels in Wildwood, the Bal Harbour requires that you pay your entire balance up front. We could not leave and go to another place without either incurring a loss or the inconvenience of trying to get our money back.

The other reviewers are also correct about the place being outdated. The stove in our unit was so old that the numbers and writing had all been rubbed off of the knobs. We were uncomfortable using it. The beds were indeed very hard. The bottom sheet on one bed had a rip in it when we arrived.

The toilet is weirdly arranged under a shelf so that you have to bend over and reach under the shelf to flush it. We also had to hold the handle down for around 20 seconds to get it to flush.

The pool closed at 6 p.m. which was very inconvenient.

5 Thank MHer101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

This place was the best destination 20 years ago, but its so old, outdated, and in serious need of an interior decorator! The prices are still high, but location is one of the best in Wildwood. The pool area is going down hill. The railings on the balconies are so low, I am afraid to go near them, fear of falling over. The service is excellent but this place has stood still in time. They were packed season after season but looks like the decades of profit for them did not go into improvements.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank southstreetvcl

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Aberdeen, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We enjoy coming to Bal Harbour every Memorial Day Weekend.The staff was friendly Jamie,
checked us in with no issues.We cant wait to return its so relaxing.And the specials they offer are affordable for hard working people.

Room Tip: I love the ocean view its peaceful as well as relaxing.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 173KIMBO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We are so upset with the whole place. Room smelled of mold. Filthy rugs. Beds were horrible, a sidewalk would have been softer. Staff was rude. Not to mention, going to the "basement" to use the iron. Place made my skin crawl. Mold in the air vents was a total bonus, said no one ever!

• Stayed June 2014
9 Thank Witsy2731
philadelphia, usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

My family just returned from our yearly stay at Bal Harbour and we are as usual pleased as punch!!! I would have to agree with the other reviewers that stated it's like coming home each year I catch a glimpse of the hotel. My stress leaves my body and I get excited at hitting the beach as soon as we unpack. Our room as usual was perfect with a view of the pool and the ocean. The only minor complaint i had was that the lighting was very dim in the room....I just turned every light on to help combat that so not a huge deal. I was very pleased to see that they offered free wi if this year especially with my sons obsession with Sprout! We took the package with 4 breakfasts and one dinner which offered a great value. We shopped for groceries and I cooked a majority of our meals as my son has food allergies. I love the fact that the rooms are basically an apartment. I doubt we will ever stray from this hotel!! Look forward to next year!!!!

Old Monroe, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife and I recently completed our stay at one of our favorite resort hotels, the Bal Harbour, while visiting the northeastern states from our home base in Missouri. We have stayed here both off and on season about four times over the past 10-15 years, and our visits have always been consistently top-shelf. Our room was on the third floor with an ocean view and a nice balcony to enjoy the fresh ocean air. The room, as always, was nicely appointed, with a kitchenette, and clean. When I say clean, I mean clean in the corners, and anyone who travels frequently knows what I’m saying. The staff is very friendly and helpful, making you feel more like family than customers. We took our breakfasts in the restaurant, and found the food to be fresh and well-prepared, and the service was excellent. The meals were enhanced by our view of the dolphins swimming in the surf, just off the beach. All in all, our visit to the Wildwoods was made even better by top-notch hotel accommodations. We look forward to a return visit sometime in the future. You can’t go wrong by making the Bal Harbour your hotel choice for a visit anywhere in Cape May County.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Where do I begin to say how much I enjoy my stays at the Bal Harbor!!! I just returned from a four day stay which was my sixth year in a row!! Every year it is like returning “home”…before I am even out to the car, the young man who does basically everything there greets us with a warm smile and welcomes us back. Then you walk inside and Jamie greets us like family. Each year she is there to help begin our four days in the sun! The hotel is located right on the beach and every room has an ocean view complete with dolphins almost every day. There are also three pools which are kept so clean by the wonderful young man who has been there for years. He even sweeps the garages! The rooms vary depending on your needs and the kitchenettes are very well equipped with everything you will need. There is a restaurant right on sight with a wonderful view of the beach---shout out to Mike who greets us each year. If you want to dine out---Marie Nicole’s (Wildwood Crest), Island Grill, Pier house are both in Cape May---casual but pricey with great food. Ugly Mug is always great for a lobster or a burger.
If you want a great place to stay right on the beach with a friendly, warm staff….look no further!

Room Tip: The side by pool has the best view:)