“Probably the best you will find in WWC, but far from perfect.”
Review of Port Royal Hotel

Port Royal Hotel
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Long Island, NY
“Probably the best you will find in WWC, but far from perfect.”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This hotel is right on the beach. We really liked the room, kept very clean which is always my #1 concern wherever I go, so kudos to the cleaning staff. There is a bathroom with a small sink and an additional sink area/vanity outside the bathroom, so two people can be getting ready at the same time. The beds were very comfortable, no saggy mattresses. Our deluxe room had a balcony & partial ocean view, which I believe all the rooms have. We were facing a park area, which holds concerts on Saturday evenings in the summer from 7:30 to 9:30, which I should have been told about, as I requested a quiet room. They also have a yoga/workout class on some mornings in that park, again with some music in the mornings. The room had a kitchenette area, which was so small, we almost did not find it, as it was behind a louvered wooden door and we thought it was a closet. Small fridge, microwave & coffe machine. They did supply coffee filters, but no coffee, sugar or creamers, so you have to bring your own. At the price point you are paying for the room, those items should really be supplied. My biggest pet peeve with the room was that a smoke alarm is placed near the beds, which constantly flashes a green light at night, which can really hinder your sleep. We placed a hand towel over it to minimize the light but this really should have been placed in the foyer or elsewhere in the room and not near the beds. The pool area is lovely but not that large. They do not supply pool towels, again, at that price point, I believe pool towels should be supplied. We noticed many people hording the pool chairs before 8am with their towels and disappearing to "save" their seats for later in the afternoon. This should not be allowed by the hotel in my opinion, as it is unfair to those who want to use the pool & have no where to sit because of these inconsiderate hoarders. There is a lifeguard on duty who seemed to be doing everything else but keeping watch over the pool. I constantly saw him walking around, chatting with others and was seldom at his station. There is an outdoor eatery, the Royal Grill cafe, which serves really great food & fairly quick service once you ordered. There were a couple of times we sat down unnoticed & I had to flag down a waitress. There is also a take-out window in the vicinity but it does not have all the options of the sit down menu. I did notice people handling food in there that were not wearing gloves & this is a health code violation. We did not eat at the indoor Royal Grill as we like to eat al fresco in the summer, especially when on vacation. There are laundy facilities on each floor, which take only quarters. However, you have to bring your own detergent as there is no vending machine to purchase detergent. There are free parking spots surrounding the perimeter of the hotel, for which you must get a permit from the front desk. There is a parking garage undeneath, for a charge of $2 a day, for which a separate permit is required. The downstairs garage is extremely tight with many concrete supports between spots, so I recommend checking it out first before deciding if you want to pay money to park there. The hotel itself is surrounded by cheaper type motels. I was not overly impressed with the Wildwood area in general but stayed here because I was not happy with the Cape May area hotel choices, which was my primary reason for staying here. Cape May is only about a five minute drive away & you do have to pay $1.50 over a bridge to get there. We did like the Cape May area much nicer. This hotel also does not accept AAA for the hotel discount. The best place we ate for dinner was Little Italy Restaurant, absolutely delicious food. For absolutely the best icecream, do not miss Duffer's - but just go for their icecream, as their food was not good at all.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank helenesq

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Reviewed 8 August 2012

While walking thru the hallway to our room, there was black mold on the ceiling and around many air vents clear as day. This was very concerning since it was obvious and out in the open. It makes me wonder how much more mold is in the sheetrock and vents that I can't see. I emailed the hotel about the issue requesting a response and was disappointed to get no response. I stayed there because I thought it was an upscale hotel. And at the higher end of the price scale I would expect better. At least a response to my email. So again, if you like black mold, then this place may be for you.

9 Thank Tomwk
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My family and I have been going to wildwood for many years and stayed at the Bal Harbour but it became run down so we decided to try The Port Royal. Wow! It is truly the best hotel in Wildwood. The staff is super friendly, the rooms are clean with crisp white sheets and a fluffy comforter and they even give you an abundance of towels that are pure white and thick. The AC is awesome. They give u a hair blower and an iron. The decor is gorgeous. Everything at the port royal is top notch. You feel like you are in a high end hotel and the pool area is gorgeous with cabanas and wooden umbrellas. We will definitely be back. I highly recommend this hotel. Totally a 10!!!

1 Thank Linnybabes
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Its a great hotel very up to date. Rooms are great . The hotel is clean.the pool is clean . The front desk is very nice.the Maides are nice .they have a great game room . Wonderful AC .elevators had air . Hotel is right on the beach. I had a great and relaxing time at the port royal. The port royal rocks. The pools r heated and they have lots of parking. I go to wildwood crest every year and I will be staying here again.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Let me say that after staying years at Bal Harbour I decided to try something new because ownership let the place go. So I booked Port Royal after hearing great things. Wow what I have been missing thru the years. Port Royal is truly without peer in Wildwood. It blows everything about Bal Harbour away. Cleanliness, updated rooms, better food, air conditioning throughout the complex and so much more. It's called reinvestment and not greed something that bal harbour should learn about.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Giacomo178
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed at port royal from 7/30-8/2. Great place to stay.
Pros: nice pool, clean room, great staff, plentey of parking, good view of ocean for the chepest room!! Food in the restaurant was good and priced right. Kid friendly!!
Cons: a little far from the boardwalk, but that's why we drive cars... Our room had no coffee pot(we brought our own). And wanted to charge $40 for a crib which is rediculous!!(we brought our pack and play)!!
All in all great get away and I would recommend staying here!!! Just call to make sure they have what you need before going, this way you can pack accordingly.....

1 Thank Nes1012
Branchburg, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at the Port Royal. We have been to Wildwood many times staying at various motels. I am so picky when it comes to clean and this hotel is beyond clean. I have two small children with food allergies so I have to be extra cautious about any food being left by previous guests. So I look for food, crumbs, etc. I couldnt find any!!! This hoel is just smells clean, not the normal shore hotel smell which I cant stand...The property is very well maintained with ample seating by the pool. The restaurant has great food and reasonable prices something which is hard to find sometimes on vacation! We will definatly be back next year!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
#3 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Reges Oceanfront Resort
Reges Oceanfront Resort
#8 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Port Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!