All reviewsroyal grillefficiency apartmentdeluxe hotel roomnext yearupscale hotelbeautiful hotelthe jersey shoreocean frontthese yearsfront desk staffother hotelson site restaurantthe entire staffthe hotel is cleanfree concertsmother's dayupdated rooms
Reviewed 29 June 2013

My wife and I have reserved the same suite at the Port Royal Hotel in the same week in June for thirteen consecutive summers. Should you do the same, here's some of what you'll find:

• The hotel is located between two treed lots: a beautifully restored public park on one side (north) and a newly renovated playground on the other (south); there are NO OBSTRUCTIONS to your view.
• The management staff is hospitable, the maintenance staff is knowledgeable, and the housekeeping staff is great.
• Whenever we have a concern, the staff does its best to address it promptly.
• Two clean pools reserved for hotel guests only.
• The beach and ocean are located right across the street.
• The on-site restaurant is delicious; the public outside snack bar at the pool is open daily.

Room Tip: South-side rooms overlook the private pool and public playground. North-side rooms overlook the public park. Full ocean-view rooms are more costly, but the view is great. The better the view and room amenities, the higher the room rate. Reserve ASAP!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael6203
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My family and I recently returned from another positive stay at the Port Royal. We have stayed at the hotel many times and consistently reach the conclusion that this property is by far the best in Wildwood Crest. The oceanfront location of our room (an “A Suite”) is complete with bunk beds for the kids, two balconies, a sitting room and kitchen area which provides ample space, and is overall very well maintained. The housekeeping staff takes their job very seriously which is essential in my book, but being the particular person that I am there are a few minor areas where I would like to see them pay extra attention (dust on the base molding and chair rail, clean up the scuffs on the bunk bed base with a magic eraser). I would also like to see the bedspreads eliminated and use a double-sheeted duvet instead, but again that is me being a neat freak! Don’t get me wrong, this hotel is quite clean.

The main areas of the hotel are lovely and we love that every year there are improvements happening at the hotel. Last year it was an upgraded game room which looks fantastic, and this year they created the “maritime library” which is very well done. My kids love the pool, it is also very well maintained and pleasant. I read some comments about the lifeguard who works at the pool – on first glance I can see where they are coming from but if you speak to him, he is a very nice guy. Last year my son slid in the kiddie pool and went underwater for a split second which freaked him (and me) out and let me tell you, the lifeguard truly moved like lightening to make sure he was ok. His concern and attentiveness to my son’s safety is well appreciated. The entire staff is very nice and serious about what they do which I really respect. It is nice to see the same faces year after year and know that they truly care about the property.

I would recommend this hotel to others, particularly those with kids who are looking for a nice pool and great proximity to the beach, bike rentals, and a brand new playground.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank AM1027
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We are getting ready to go back for our 3rd year. Lots of hotels in wildwood are very outdated and run down. We were very worried about making the trip and then hating the hotel. This hotel was recommended by a friend and we couldn't have been happier with his choice. The hotel is clean, well decorated and updated. We stay in an ocean front suite with kitchen. The park next to the hotel has concerts and an outdoor zumba class. You are on the beach and the pool is always very well cared for with lots of seating. Everything about the hotel is wonderful. Very family friendly hotel. the kids like the game room. My only complaint is that the pool closes at 7pm. I really wish it was open until 10pm. Other than that we love it and recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay in wildwood.

Room Tip: we stay in the Deluxe Ocean Suite but any room with a kitchen is great. The savings for being able to have breakfast in the room or some light lunches/dinners is huge. We also like having a separate bedroom from the kids.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennr1128
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This is one of the many places we stay when in the Wildwoods and the Port Royal just seems to do things a little better than most. The entire staff is very friendly and check-in is always seamless. It's a nautical theme throughout and has a new maritime library in the lobby along with a game room.

One of the assets is the restaurant. When you just don't feel like jumping in the car to go to breakfast, it's nice to get a window booth, enjoy a meal and watch the ocean. The food is serviceable and not exceptional but the convenience is a plus.

No matter what the weather, the very large pool is always warm enough to jump in and spend some time splashing around. The pool deck is loaded with tables (and umbrellas) and plenty of seating if you intend to spend the day poolside.

Parking in the underneath garage can get a little dicey, especially when the place is packed. There is parking around the perimeter outside too. And they've addressed one of my pet peeves - not enough carts when checking in or out.

Another convenience that I didn't think I would need but, due to not packing the right clothes, came into play and that's the washer and dryer ($1 each on one floor but $1.25 on another) on each floor.

The beds are probably the most comfortable ones on the island. With the sliding glass door to the ocean front balcony open, the sound of the ocean could lull anyone to sleep.

After a week there, my single worst complaint is someone smoking a cigar every night on their balcony. While No Smoking signs are posted everywhere, not everyone is really that considerate. Also the toilet was a bit problematic.

There are packages available that include breakfast each morning, one lunch and one dinner and priced lower than if you just booked the room without it.

Nice large flat screens and, unlike last year, DVD players and not VCR's.

With a large park flanking the hotel on each side, you don't feel like the next building is on top of you.

Room Tip: You can pay a little extra for the ocean front but all rooms have a balcony with a very nice ocean view. If you get a corner unit, you have a balcony oceanfront and a balcony by the king sized bed and, if on the north side, can catch a very nice sunrise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank G D
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My family and I stay at this hotel every year. We stumbled upon it almost by accident when my children were very young and have been hooked ever since. Large clean rooms, great restaurant, large pool with a snack bar nearby and right across from the beach. Also, close enough to Wildwood itself to easily get to the boards (although using your car or the shuttle to do that is best) but far enough away to not experience the crowds when you prefer to relax.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family