“Fit For The Queen”

Ranked #7 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Mamaroneck, New York
“Fit For The Queen”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We were invited to join friends for the weekend in Wildwood. Their hotel was fully booked, so we were recommended the Port Royal (a sister hotel to our friends hotel).
While their hotel is very nice, I am so glad we ended up here.

We booked a "Queen" suite. I must say, this "Queen" was quite happy. We walked into our clean room, which opened to the bedroom with its two comfortable Queen sized beds. This led into another room with a sofa, chair, table and chairs with room for six, and a small kichenette, with the balcony opening to a spectacular beach view.

I know that usually when you think of a kichenette you have a certain picture in your mind--well this is a complete new picture. Modern small (European style) stainless refrigerator, two burner black glass top stove top, a large convection/microwave oven, and a cuisinart coffee maker are just some of the amenities in this modern style dark wood cabinet kitchen. This was within the nautical themed room with its Restoration Hardware (I believe) light fixtures and prints and a large flat screen LG TV (not sure what the old television comment refers to in an other review, as we even hooked up one of our tablets to it with an hdmi cable and watched shows on Hulu). The bedroom carried the theme as well, with its tall dresser large closet and over stuffed bedding. The bathroom has modern fixtures, but a good sturdy porcelain tub (not one of those flimsy cheap hollow sheet metal ones you find all the time), and an extra basin set up with a hair dryer and the usual amenities. (I always bring my own, so I can not comment on its effectiveness.)

My husband commented that the air conditioning worked great. What also worked great was the free wifi. Finally someone who has figured out that here needs to be a router per floor, and because of this the internet was pretty fast (we wouldn't have been able to watch streaming video otherwise).

(I happened to catch a glimpse of the room next to ours while housekeeping was in there, and it seemed to have had a complete different theme. That is what is great about boutique hotels, they don't follow a formula.)

Also, on our floor we had an ice and soda vending machine (Pepsi brand), and a guest laundry.

As mentioned by others there is a restaurant, but we did not eat there (we had the fun kitchen in our room to fill and eat from), so I can not comment. There is also a pool, a veranda out front with Adirondack chairs, and a nice lobby. The few staff we came in touch with were always polite and friendly. The front desk staff always smiled and said hello as we walked past to the elevator.

This place is far enough from home (without being so far as to dread a day or more in the car) to be the perfect place for future "Royal" getaways for this "Queen".

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Elizabeth T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Virginia
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed at Port Royal in August. In comparison to the other hotels in Wildwood Crest, this place is the best around. In comparison to hotels in cities all over the country, this place is average. Clean with a nice location but service and amenities were lacking for the price you pay.

The location is great and makes this place a wonderful spot for vacationing. Right on the ocean; a nice walk to the boardwalk. Our room overlooked the park. We had a nice balcony where we sat and had a view of the ocean. On Friday nights there are concerts in the park and we sat on the patio and listened to the music. It is true that there are morning Zumba classes on the weekend. but, we sleep with a sleep machine so it drowns out the noise. Beds were comfortable. Old fashioned TVs but I was very grateful for the free wifi. I had some work to do and needed Internet access.

It's convenient having a restaurant at the hotel. Our food was good. Not great. We had dinner one night and service was slow, but the waitress was nice so it made up for the slowness. We had a seat by the window with a wonderful view.

I'm not sure why everyone has commented on the friendly staff. The front desk rarely looks up from their computer to say hello or smile. The young girl taking our coffee orders, each morning at poolside, didn't seem happy either. Umberto, the maintenance man, is definitely the star of the show. He was friendly and cheerful each day. He's, without a doubt, the most welcoming of all the employees. He's also the only one smiling. The cleaning staff did a great job. We definitely enjoyed the Philosophy products in the bathroom. That was a nice surprise. the hair dryer was rattling like it was about to catch fire. I'll bring my own next time.

Only one parking spot per room so if you are driving in separate cars, one needs to park on the street or pay $2 per night for underground parking. Not a big deal to us but thought we should mention it.

We will go back to the Port Royal because it is definitely the nicest place we have stayed in the years we have been going to Wildwood Crest. I

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the ocean. We like the higher floors because they are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank iliketotravel123
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is an older hotel, but it is well kept and the staff was friendly and helpful. It is on the beach for those who want that and with a lovely pool area if that is your preference. The down sides,Linens were a bit scratchy (this is trivial tho), however the heat and A/C are centrally controlled by the management. It got very warm in the rooms in the early morning hours- had to sleep with the patio door open. Sept is a quiet month and the restaurant was not open every evening. The area was 'closing down' for the season, so finding good eating establishments within walking distance was a problem even so I would return to the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on poolside get the evening sun (great sunsets)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank grm-squirrel
Phoenixville, Pa
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Best of the Jersey shore and the coziest, cleanest and most friendly. The food is to rave over. Better than most dining experiences at the so called top of the line eateries in the area.
Staff is so friendly
and accommodating no matter how busy...make you feel so comfortable. But for me the Cleanliness makes me feel the most relaxed. Great Job...look forward to my next trip to Wildwood and Port Royal.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Susan J
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This is our second year staying at Port Royal and it was just as good as the first. We booked during check-out last year, for the same days and same room. It was great! It's so nice to be in the same room, even my four year old remembered. Another neat thing is we are starting to know more people who vacation the same week every year. We look forward to seeing them next year. We have have a two and four year old and the hotel is perfect for kids. Our boys LOVE the kiddie pool. If your staying with kids and enjoy going to the beach, I recommend buying a beach cart. We have one and it's such a blessing. Also, there is a really nice playground next to the hotel. The staff is super friendly and accomodating. It's just a wonderful place to stay. I'm so happy the Port Royal is now part of our family tradition.

Room Tip: We love our room overlooking the pool. It was nice to sit on the balcony while my two year old napp...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MrsLucas06
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 September 2013

It's kind of our tradition to go to Wildwood every LDW for the last 6-7 years and I could never get room in the Port Royal until 2013. The difficulties of getting room were absolutely understandable after we experienced the stay there this year. Rooms are clean, specious and very well designed. I have noisy kids and I did not hear them at all(I had efficiency apartment). Pool is clean, good size and very conveniently located to the restaurant terrace. The hotel is right next to the beach. In addition to all, we had beautiful view(even though the room was on the site). We stayed in the different hotels/motels of the Wildwood, but this one is by far the best one in town. I hope to get room here next year as well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank soleg67
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Just a notch below the Pan American in my opinion. Location is great especially if you like the Friday night concerts. The pool is of good size. The dining at the Royal Grill was also surprisingly good. Underneath parking is a little tight but is another reccomend.

• Stayed July 2013
#1 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Reges Oceanfront Resort
Reges Oceanfront Resort
#9 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Port Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!