“Think twice about staying here”
Review of Oceanview Motel

Oceanview Motel
Ranked #65 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Garfield, New Jersey
“Think twice about staying here”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just came back from staying here the past weekend, Memorial weekend.The whole weekend we had no hot water in the shower. We were not the only guests that had this problem. Plus no air conditioning the whole weekend. Had to go to mgmt to obtain a fan. Mgmt had no explanation why the air was not working. On our last night out toilet started acting up. We had someone come to our room @10:30pm to try to fix it. The whole night we had to let the toilet run. The towels and sheets are so thin. The location is good and that's about it. Plus the room smelled musty, and it was so warm.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mike G
Paul C, Manager at Oceanview Motel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
We're sorry to read of your experience, Mike. Given the age of our motel, the A/C does occasionally act up. In those circumstances, we do our absolute best to get things up and running as quickly as possible. We're sorry that in your case, the repairs did not happen quickly enough.

As for your other issues, we're typically able to accommodate our guests' needs; however, on the busy Memorial Day weekend, our motel fills up quickly, making it difficult to provide room changes. We're truly sorry.

We really wish your stay had been better, but if you're willing to give us another shot, we're confident we could show you a much better experience.

All the best,
Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 May 2014

So my boyfriend and I decided to stay here for Memorial Day Weekend. We couldn't find any other hotel to book online beforehand. We were under the impression that we were going to have a 4 bed "suite" for a total of 5 people all together. we payed $605 for the 3nights. That wasn't the problem. The first thing we noticed was how HOT it was in the room. Then we noticed that there were only 2 beds! How is that supposed to work out? Next the water in the shower was hot the first night. The next morning it was freezing. I had to turn the water off and on again for WARM WATTER even tho it was all the way on hot. And even when it was bearable it would only last for about 2 minutes. Then it would last about another two minutes when I got someone to try flushing the toilet. Now the worst part was that the fridge and freezer were TERRIBLE. The fridge was not cold at all and the freezer was the temperature that the fridge should have been. And still it would only work for a few hours. So we ended up eating fast food the whole time because our food went bad in that fridge. And leaving the room was a hassle because the door was so hard to open from the inside and the outside. There was a pink colored splash on the wall next to the door. And I didn't want to get too close to find out what it was.
Finally, the last night we stayed I woke up with bug bites all over my body. Disgusting. I will never stay here again and I would never recommend this motel to
anyone. It needs a lot of fixing before they start charging people 600 + for 3 nights at this disgrace of motel.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Ncolon0314

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Wescosville
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I booked this room on booking.com. I really did not have a high expectation. I needed a 1 night room to meet a friend the following day for lunch in Cape May.
We were on the 3rd floor. The view was the only good thing about this place.
The phone did not work to do a wake up call, there was no running water in the sink, the toilet is positioned in a place you need to sit sideways, half the lights did not work those that did are on a kill switch so you can't charge your cell phones. There were dead flies on the headboard. NO hot water in the shower.
When I went down to check out they brought out the manager who said I needed to let the water run 20 min for it to get hot. I explained that is fabulous check out is in half hour how the hell do you expect anyone to get ready in that amount of time? I gave him my list he told me they only opened a week ago for the season I told him he should have checked every room. He offered me a 10% discount on my next stay! Are you kidding me I am NEVER going back. He said I could stay until 6 PM if I wanted to so I could take a proper shower! I took a cold shower and couldn't wait to leave. We checked in the night before at 9PM went to dinner came back at 10:30 if it wasn't so late we would have never stayed!
I will be disputing my credit card the room was a pit! No running water in the sink are you kidding me?
There were other places I saw had vacancy signs but were not online, what a shame.
In my opinion if you want a cheap place with NO amenities and no water this is your place. Otherwise run the other way!

Room Tip: Don't pick here!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank MichelleQWescosville
Bob T, Manager at Oceanview Motel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank You very much for choosing the Oceanview Motel for your stay here in Wildwood Crest, NJ. Having a seasonal property right on the ocean with a start up in May can either be good or bad depending on Mother Nature. Unfortunately for us, this year has been a brutal winter with all the snow, freezing temperatures and rain, all of which put a damper on us making necessary repairs in a timely manner to open, especially since this 108 room motel is not new but it is clean. I am very sorry your stay wasn’t as satisfactory as you hoped it would be. We have taken the items you mentioned that needed attention and are doing our best to correct them in an expeditious manner. Inspecting the lights we found one light was blown out, the others all worked off the switch. The kitchen sink water supply we worked on and corrected it. The hot water upon inspection was working fine unfortunately this was half hour after you left and as I explained to you at the front desk just opening an older building has quirks each room being different. We have many many repeat customers who love this place and I am sure should you come again your experience will be quite different and you too possibly would be returning year after year.
Thank You again for visiting and informing us of your stay.

Robert Thompson
Manager
Baltimore
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was by far my worst experience staying at a hotel ever in my life. My girlfriend & I decided to have a random get away this past Saturday on May 17th. Allow me to start off with my experience calling to book the room. I was told there were absolutely no one room, one bed suites available at all with the beach view, even after I looked on line & was told otherwise. Finally when I called back & read back to the woman exactly what the website was stating, the room magically appeared & I was able to book it for the price on line. I'm thinking 'Okay. No biggie. Honest mistake.' On our way to New Jersey, I began to read these reviews & by this time, all I could do was pray that our room & our visit would be completely different. That was a big build up for an even bigger let down. Problem number one : Took us about five minutes fondling with the keys just to finally get the room door open. Problem number two : There were two beds in this oh so very tiny bedroom when I specifically asked for one. The beds took up so much of the very little space that was available that the door to the bedroom wasnt even able to be completely closed. Problem number three : The beds were as hard as rocks. I would have probably much rathered slept on a rock. We spent our night sleeping on the pull out bed in the livingroom. Problem number four : Absolutely no batteries in the carbon monoxide detector. Problem number five : No heater in the room. Only an on/off switch for air. Couldn't even control the temperature. Problem number six : Cold water knob to the sink didn't work. Problem number seven : Absolutely NO hot water. Turned it all the way hot. It went from luke warm to cold. Froze my butt off! Problem number eight(saved the worst for last): This room wreaked of an extremely strong odor of mildew. The air seemed very moist. & on top of that, the supposedly "clean" guest towels in the bathroom were still damp. My girlfriend & I refused to use any of their towels, pillows, blankets or things of that nature. We woke up in this room, feeling restless, dirty & disgusting. It was such a pleasant experience waking up to the strong odor of mildew. NOT! Please please PLEASE save your money! I would have had a much more comfortable experience spending our night in the car. I can not stress this enough. Save your time & money! This hotel definitely gave us a run for our money. Don't let it happen to you. God bless!

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Latiasha
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The place is average at best. Everything looks tired and old. It was very cheap however and for this I give it two stars. It is also right on the beach. If I was staying one or two nights I would come again. Any longer I might look around. The front desk is helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Oceanview100, General Manager at Oceanview Motel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel here in Wildwood Crest. We appreciate your input and want you to know that through the winter months we are making significant renovations to our facility to enhance our guests experience. We hope you will visit us in 2014 to take a look. Thank you again.
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My family and I stayed here over Labor Day weekend 2013. For the price, I felt the motel had a perfect location. With direct beach access, it is one of the few motels in the Crest area that does not require guests to cross a street to reach the beach. The hotel pool is great, with a kiddie pool section separate. Rooms are a bit dated, but clean. We had an efficiency unit, so we had a full fridge and two burner range. Our room was considered a "breezeway", but we had an excellent view of the ocean. Parking was convenient, staff was helpful. Laundry room was large and very convenient for cleaning towels and swimsuits. Bike rental and park were are located right across the street. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel is your typical shore motel. Just a place to lay your head and shower. If you're just going for a night it's worth it but otherwise don't even waste your time you can find a cleanlier place for a great value. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends