“Relaxing Charming Quaint and Amazing!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Red Horse On-The-Lake Motel
Ranked #52 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
New Jersey
“Relaxing Charming Quaint and Amazing!”
Reviewed 20 July 2009

If you are looking for some sort of 5 star class hotel, you shouldn't be going to Wildwood in the first place.

This place has the charm of the old world Wildwood hotels back in their hayday in the 1950s-60s. It is family owned and operated and I have been coming to this hotel since I was born (that would be 24 years). The owners know us and are the most friendly accomdating people i've ever met.

The hotel overlooks Sunset Lake and is absolutely gorgeous during sunset. A short walk to both lake activities as well as the beach, this hotel is a great location if you are interested in more than partying. The deck overlooking the lake provides a great area to rest and relax at night while everyone is away at the boardwalk.

The hotel itself can use a little restoration, the beds are pretty stiff and overall is very old feeling, however, when you use a hotel room to sleep/eat/shower it shouldn't matter to you that it is a little old. It is 100% clean and even dogs are allowed! I'm allergic to dogs and they make sure to clean every room vigoriously so that there is no dog residue in any of hte rooms.

All in all, if you are looking for a really easy, relaxing, beautiful view, great pool, walking distance and activities and a great time with your family : this place will not dissapoint. The prices are even reasonable !

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beastegrl2

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
sparkysmom_7
Reviewed 3 June 2009

We have stayed here a number of times. We discovered it when we were looking for a pet friendly place to stay. Although our Sparky has passed on and we can stay anywhere now, we enjoy the atmosphere at the Red Horse. Kay is very accomodating. It's a great place to stay if you are traveling alone (especially ladies) because it is small, friendly and safe. The pool, grills, yard games, clothesline make it family friendly, too.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
6 Thank sparkysmom_7
Northwest NJ
Reviewed 4 September 2008

The motel was okay. It wasn't great and it wasn't terrible. On the plus side, it was small, family owned, friendly and was away from the hustle bustle of the beach scene and quiet at night. This was not a motel frequented by a younger crowd. Being across the street from and with a nice view of Sunset Lake was a bonus. On the negative side, it wasn't very up to date and wasn't spotless. It was acceptable and for the price, you couldn't beat it.

• Liked — Family run atmosphere
  • Disliked — Quality of the accomodations
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
bichonlover2
Reviewed 2 July 2008

I was looking for a motel that took pets, as I would not leave my little Bichon in boarding to go on vacation. I was so pleased to find a place to bring my dog. My 11 year old daughter and I arrived with the dog to find a run down looking motel, the room stunk like urine, the air conditioner did not work properly (it was either too warm or freezing). The bathroom was old, toilet seat was very old (they could at least replace the toilet seats with newer ones), the shower was filthy. There was no phone!

Our reservation was for 3 nights but after spending only a few hours there we told Kay we were not happy and wanted to cancel the last two nights. She only refunded me for one night. I did not tell her that the place was disgusting, as I didn't want to hurt her feelings or be rude, so I told her that my dog was not happy and could not get settled.

We were also not very pleased with Wildwood Crest. The town itself was rundown, not many places to eat or even get gas. The boardwalk nasty!

Next year we'll try Ocean City.

• Liked — The pool was clean
  • Disliked — The room was filthy and old/rundown
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank bichonlover2
New York State
Reviewed 22 July 2007

Our family, including my sister, her children with their children, my kids and grandkids, and my dachshund Nathan, and also our adopted family friends from Texas have been coming to the Red Horse each August for the past eight or so years. We love getting together and rent out half the place. The kids love playing together. The adults get to spend the week relaxing, catching up and having a ball!!! We always look forward to coming back. From the youngest (two years old) to the oldest (63) we enjoy fun filled days and (some) quiet nights sitting on the deck enjoying the lake. It's almost time to go again. Can't wait!!!! Rose

• Liked — Upper deck and lake views.
  • Disliked — No central air
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank RoMe_7
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 June 2007

This was the first year that we had a dog, so we had to find a motel that took dogs. The Red Horse was one of only a handful in Wildwood that did take dogs, and we hoped for the best. The motel ended up being really great--we got an apartment style room with two bedrooms and when we got there, I was shocked at how big the bedrooms actually were. The motel is right on the bay/lake, but also only three or four blocks from the beach. It was fantastic! Everyone at the motel had a dog or two with them, and all of the dogs got along and the owners were friendly and cleaned up after their dogs. We only have one complaint: the owners blasted doo-wop music the whole weekend and we all hated it, including my parents who are middle-aged, so it wasn't just an issue of generation gap. Sometimes you just want quiet, especially when you are relaxing down the shore. We had to close the windows and door if we wanted peace. I don't know if that music is played all summer long, or just on holiday weekends (we went for Memorial Day), but it was annoying. Other than that, we all loved the motel, and would probably stay there again.

• Liked — Location near bay AND ocean; pet-friendly; large rooms
  • Disliked — constant loud doo-wop music
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank lishi8983
Folcroft
Reviewed 14 May 2007

I really enjoyed this motel better than any other Pet Friendly motel in Wildwood. It was cleaner than some regular motels that I've stayed at. Kay and husband were very friendly and hospitable.
The place has a great view of Sunset Lake and it is in a quiet location by the Bay. Would definitely go back again!

• Liked — clean and very spacious
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
#2 of 76 in Wildwood
Island Breeze Motel
Island Breeze Motel
#29 of 76 in Wildwood

Been to Red Horse On-The-Lake Motel? Share your experiences!