“Loved Diamond Beach”

Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
ny
“Loved Diamond Beach”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2008

My family has been going to WWC for years. As a child and teen we stayed at the El Coronado every summer. We made friends with other families who came year after year also. After my brother and I got out of college we stopped going. As an entire family we returned in 2006, of course we wanted to stay at the El Coronado because of the new room sizes and familiarity. It was a huge disappointment. The rooms were never clean, the front desk people were rude and I couldn't understand why a 3 bedroom condo only allowed 1 car to park on premises. Needless to say last year we stayed elsewhere and it was fabulous.

• Liked — location to the beach
  • Disliked — hotel staff
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank sunandsurfwwc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2008

What a nasty Manager! They confirmed ,in writing, one price for an extra day on the phone and when I got there the manager said it was a mistake and wanted to charge me an extra $100.00. He did not care what I had to say it was the extra $ or leave. We decided to leave. He then proceeded to come to our room with a "security" person to see if we were leaving. I felt that he was rude, unprofessional and down right mean who started screaming in front of my 2 small children. We've been coming here for seven years,since new owners took over, I'll be looking elsewhere to stay.Save your money and aggrevation!!

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — manager and staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank mileycyrus

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Souderton, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2007

The El Coronado is beach front property in Wildwood Crest. My family and I have been going here for years - due in large part to it's location and varied room types. It has units that range from three bedrooms to a regular hotel room and it's always worked well for the varied needs of an extended family. At least once a year, my cousins and friends have met here for a long weekend ( a group of 20+ people). It use to be a very nice place, but it has gone down hill over the years and hit rock bottom last year (summer of 2007). The service is beyond bad. The front desk people are rude at best, the rooms are never really cleaned, there's always one elevator on the fritz, the electric goes out periodically -- just to name a few. It saddens me to have to write this review, but the management at the EC has done nothing to improve any of these issues - nor do they seem to care. There are many other places to stay - I would stay away from this place with a ten foot pole. Just to give you a frame of reference - My husband and I are in our forties and have a four year old son. We like to travel and have stayed at many nice resorts over the years and I'd be hard pressed to find service this bad anywhere else. I've stayed at the EC for well over ten years - but won't be back again this year.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank PABlondie
PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2007

We stay at this Hotel (more like a motel) during labor day weekend. Approaching the Hotel the outside appearance was deceiving to what we experience in the inside. After we checked in we go all the way to the 5th floor, after waiting 15 mins. for the ONE good elevator that was working, we come to find out that the door key was not working (made 3 trips to the front desk to change keys through out the weekend). Come inside the room and that was when it really hit us! As soon as we walked in it smell musty, it felt dirty and supposely the bathroom where updated! NOT! the sink had rust. The air was not working properly. Good that we only came in just to go to sleep! However what i did like was how close the beach was and the view from the room!

• Liked — the ocean view and how close it was to the beach
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank jahd70
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2007

We stayed at this hotel despite some of the bad reviews. However, the bad reviews are all true. This hotel is dingy, dirty, smelly . . . the only 2 or 3 of the elevators worked. We stayed this past weekend (28th and 29th), and there was no heat and the air conditioner would not turn off. We froze. Called the front desk . . . and maintenance "was going to check it out". Nothing ever happend. The room smelled dirty. The sheets were old. The pillows were barely existent. The beds were very uncomfortable. We were very, very disappointed. The carpeting in the hallway was disgusting. Yes, the location is good, however, I contemplated going to another hotel as soon as I walked in the room. The bathroom was the only plus, as it was recently renovated. Would not recommend.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank madisonnewyork
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2007

We attend the Wildwood car show every year in May and September and have booked our stay with El Coronado with the exception of one time. We thought it was under a major over haul and were we very disappointed when we stayed there just last week. The bathroom was remodeled however someone broke the shelf in the shower and nobody fixed it so there was no place for your soap or shampoo. There was also no shelf over the sink to place your toiletries so you had to lay everything on toilet seat and there were no electrical outlets to use a hairdryer or shaver. When we arrived the air didn't work and we had to have that fixed...the air filters were filthy and the grills they were either missing or bent up and rusty...everytime we go there only 2 of the 3 elevators are working and they take forever...I will say the restaurant and the new internet cafe were great.

It is a shame they have gone down hill they use to be a great place.

• Liked — Great restaurant for breakfast and internet cafe
  • Disliked — Walls recently painted were filthy, elevator not working and bathroom not user friendly
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank SpeechlessNJgirl
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2007

We used to stay annually at El Coronado when our kids were young. It was wonderful - family owned, the staff was eager to please, clean inside and out, etc. We've traveled elsewhere in the country for the past 5 years, so this was the first opportunity my husband and I had to get away for a few days. We stayed here during the 3rd week of Sept.What a shame that the place has gone so downhill that I would have to think twice about staying there again unless some of these concerns were fixed. Keep in mind that all rooms are now considered condominiums and are individually owned. Even the tiny rooms should not be classified as a condo. I would be fuming if I was paying a maintenance fee for this place.

Our check-in was fine - staff was OK but not personal - felt like I was a number even though there was no line. We were able to check in at 1:00, so that was super. Room was on 3rd floor - again, as other posts mentioned, the elevators in the middle did not work. Hallway was dimly lit and scattered with plastic utensils. The carpet was ripped in many places and disgustingly dirty looking. Front staff did mention that it was going to be replaced shortly, but it really needed to be done years ago. The room was comfortable for what we paid for it off-season. The night we checked in was quite cool outside, and the heat in the room did not work. The bathroom had a musty old-coffee type smell, very funky. The bathroom and room were visually clean. The bed illows were floppy and uncomfortable - I will bring my pillow from home in the future. I tossed and turned all night because of it.

Again, we had no washcloths like so many other guests noted. What do they think we wash with??? When I requested some from the maid for the next day I got lots of extra washcloths and towels. Vents were filthy and hadn't been cleaned in ages. The facility is getting run down and needs some TLC mainly in the putty and paint dept. We had a little kitchenette - didn't use it but noticed the frying pan had baked on scum left in it and would probably cause someone to get ill if they used it. The fridge was always a favorite ammenity, and was clean and handy. We had a 12-cup coffee maker in the room instead of the typical dinky 4 cup. The outside of the hotel looks updated and nice, but the coridor leading out back looked so dumpy and rundown. The pool and hot tub looked clean, even though we didn't have a chance to use them. I think it was heated (it used to be) and it didn't feel too cold. The grill and tables overlooking the ocean were handy and mostly clean. We didn't see any broken chairs; there were actually some new ones there. The best part of this place (I don't think it deserves a "resort" title), is location, location, location. It is right on the beach so that you can leave your beach stuff and come back to your room for lunch, naps, bathroom use, etc. and still keep an eye on your things (provided you have an ocean view). The walk from the hotel to the ocean water is not bad like some other ocean-front hotels.

The restaurant on the premises was very clean, and had the same friendly staff that we recognized from years ago, and the food was quite good and inexpensive for a hotel restaurant on the beach. Considering we didn't plan to spend a lot of time in the place was acceptable for the decent rates.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — too rundown
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
#5 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Acacia Beachfront Resort
Acacia Beachfront Resort
#10 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to El Coronado Resort? Share your experiences!