“Another great stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Endwell
“Another great stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed from 7/7/13-7/11/13 with our 2 kids. We were room 624 which was great! A great ocean front room and the sunrises were beautiful from the balcony. We have been going here for 4 or 5 yrs now, and this was the best stay yet. The room was clean, and our housekeeper, Wilmer, was friendly and great with my kids. I agree with others that some updating can be done such as with the carpet, but it wasn't dirty. I try not to pay much attention to minor things like that because I don't go on vacation to stay in my hotel room. The room meets our needs, it was clean, beds were comfortable, and my most important feature to me is the view, which is fabulous from this room. It's so easy to get the kids to the beach, just walk down the steps and we are there.

Reservations were easy to make, and Paula was very helpful in finding the room that I was describing to her, because in the past we have stayed in a different type of room. Sara made check in quick and easy.

We will be back again next summer!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
brucemo123, General Manager at El Coronado Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
So happy to hear your vacation was pleasing to you and your family. Thank you for taking the time to note your experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed at El Coronado at the end of June for 5 days with our family of 6 - 2 adults and 4 kids. We stayed in a A1N ocean view room on the sixth floor. The staff was courteous and friendly, offered restaurant recommendations and seemed sincerely attentive. The pool area is great and the location was exactly what we wanted. The food in the cafe downstairs is priced a little high but the food is very good and the portion sizes are very large. The room was comfortable and the little kitchenette was a blessing to our food budget with a family of 6. The kids really enjoyed the little arcade downstairs.
The issues our family had were not really issues - I agree with previous posters that a little TLC is needed in various areas. Our balcony did show signs of wear with chipped paint and rusting on the railings. The wireless internet available is very weak and slow. If it were not needed for work for my husband while we were there then I wouldn't even mention it, but he had to lug his laptop and work downstairs to get the best signal which was still very slow. The only real complaint I had was the very thin blankets used for bedding.
Even these issues were not issues affecting our vacation in any way. We really enjoyed the resort and spoke of it so much already that we have family who has booked there for the end of the summer.

2 Thank Melanie P
brucemo123, General Manager at El Coronado Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for your comments, Melanie. I was pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay with us!
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed at the El Coronado over Beach Blast weekend and my family had so much fun! While the rooms may be a bit dated, our room was clean and comfortable. We spent very little time in the room - the pool was fantastic and the staff was very accomodating to our very large group of soccer players! The grills are just a great ammenity.

We did not ask for house cleaning during our short stay and the only slightly disappointing thing for us was that we had to wait about an hour after check-in for the room to be ready. It was not a huge deal, though, since we could walk on the beach or hang at the pool. The pool is just fantastic!

Will definitely stay at El Coronado for Beach Blast 2014!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
brucemo123, General Manager at El Coronado Resort, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
I was most pleased to read you enjoyed you stay at my resort! I will share your comments at my next staff meeting. Thanks again.
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

My family was excited to be able to book a last minute July 4th getaway in Wildwood Crest. My mother had stayed at the El Coronado years ago and had a good experience, so naturally we expected this trip to be a good one.

When I called to book the reservation I spoke with Theresa. She was pleasant and professional. She informed me that the only room available was a class (AAN/AAS) - BEACH FRONT 1 BEDROOM EFFICIENCY SUITE. Sweet! Beach front! This was exactly the type of room we were looking for. I put down the one night's deposit and received a prompt email confirmation. So far, so good. The person at the front desk was very kind and helpful to my mother who arrived at the resort a few hours before my wife and I She let her into the room even though I had not arrived to pay for the reservation in full. I appreciated this since my mother has knee problems and needed to rest after a long drive. When my wife and I arrived our check-in was flawless. I paid the remaining balance and received my room key, towel card, and pool bands.

Upon entering the room I changed clothes and walked out of the bedroom into the main living room area. I stepped into a very wet puddle of water in front of the bathroom and the kitchenette sink. I noticed water dripping from the ceiling. The carpet was soaked from the main living room to the back bedroom. I called the front desk and they dispatched maintenance technicians, Lucky and Flash, within about 15 minutes. Lucky and Flash were very professional and displayed empathy for our situation. They brought up a wet/dry vac and tried to remove as much water from the carpet as possible. They also brought a commercial grade blower fan to increase the rate of evaporation from the carpet. They removed a few ceiling tiles and, as I expected, the problem was caused by condensation from the air conditioning. The beachfront units have a separate air conditioning system from the rest of the property. These units are in the ceiling and have no ventilation, a must for these type of systems. The lack of ventilation causes an abundance of condensation which winds up leaking on the ceiling. In this case through the acoustic ceiling tiles and down the wall onto the carpet. Even though Lucky and Flash did the best they could the carpet remained saturated throughout our stay. There were no other comparable rooms available until Saturday night, the last night of our three night stay per Sarah at the front desk. Our immediate concern was mold. All that is needed for mold is moisture and heat; two things there are plenty of near the ocean in the summer. The commercial blower fan was very loud, so we could only run it when we were not in the room. We had to make sure we wore shoes or flip flops in the room because of the fear of mold growing on/in the carpet from all the stagnant water.

While the soaked carpet was a major problem, I do understand that things happen. The reason I rated this stay poor instead of average was how the El Coronado's management responded to the problem. We thought it was a reasonable request to refund one night's stay. The manager on duty only authorized 10% of the daily rate and the next morning, Sarah authorized an additional 10% for a total of 20% off the daily rate. Sarah stated that the property was a condo and this was all they were authorized to refund regardless of what the problem was. While that may be the El Coronado's policy, it is completely unacceptable. We would have left the evening we checked in but finding a vacancy on July 4th weekend in Wildwood is near impossible.

Just because our room experience was bad does not mean everything was bad. As I wrote earlier, the staff was pleasant and professional. The pool area was clean and a lot of fun. Wildwood Crest beaches are magnificent.

Additional comments:

On the last night of our stay I noticed that were was blood on the fitted sheet. This was not my blood. It grossed me out, but considering it was our last night, we made due.

The resort needs a lot of TLC. The metal railings on the balconies are all peeling from worn off paint. It makes the resort look less than what the brochure and website promote.

When I checked out Paula (I believe that is her name) apologized for our negative experience. Her apology was sincere which I appreciated. She asked me if I would reconsider and try the El Coronado in the future. Based on what I consider to me a less than acceptable reimbursement by management I told her that we will not be returning.

Summary:

You can do worse than the El Coronado. I strongly suggest you inspect the room before you pay the balance due and do not be lured in by the impressive website or brochure. The resort is not as nice as the El Coronado's marketing efforts try to portray.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before paying the remaining balance.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank BoomerMD61
brucemo123, General Manager at El Coronado Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
I was sorry to read my property did not meet your expectations. Although unit-issues do occur in our busy resort, it is important my staff address guest concerns quickly and courteously. Please accept my apologies.

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night as a last minute add on to our weekend. The pool area was very nice. Great to be able to order lunch and have it served poolside. Rooms were very clean. We were in a AAA room. Very spacious and perfect for our family of 4. Would be nice if there were more tables in the shade for eating lunch, etc. We were unable to secure a table for lunch.

Staff was very friendly. Nice that if you get there before check in you can use pool, etc while waiting for room to be ready.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. We look forward to hosting your next Wildwoods getaway!
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

My family and I book a stay for several nights. I left 2 days earlier than I had planned to, while some members of my family stayed. Things started off poorly from the moment we waked into the room. The floor was soaking wet due to a pipe break or poor drainage from the air conditioner....depends on who you ask. There was a large, nosey shop-vac fan running to dry the carpet out when we arrived. The carpeting throughout most of the room was wet for 2 days. When we asked to be moved we were told there were no other rooms were available. We decided grin and bear and try to make the best of the situation, without allowing the wet carpet to dampen our vacation. To the managements credit, they did offer to give us a 10% discount on the room. The morning after our arrival I got up early (5:30 AM) to take advantage of the peace and quite. I went to grab a shower and nothing but cold water ran from the shower. I let the water run for 15 minutes and it was still freezing. I had to resort to taking a very fast cold shower. I registered a complaint with the front desk and a maintenance man was sent to the room. He played with the faucets for 20 minutes. Finally at 8:30 we got some warm water. The toilet in the room backed up shortly thereafter. I had to make a trip down to the front desk to get a plunger and unclogged the toilet myself. It just seemed that it was one thing after another and it really started to put a damper on our vacation. The second night our room was freezing. The sign on the thermostat said now to lower the temperature below 69, so we did not, but for some reason the AC continued to run all night. We called down for extra blankets and again I had to walk from the back of the resort to the front desk to grabs some blankets. Again, to the managements credit they did offer to take additional 10% off of our stay. for a total of 20%. However, I didn't think 20% covered the inconvenience. The friendliness is a toss-up. I felt that the maintenance and housekeeping staff were very friendly and as accommodating as the could be. For the most part the staff at the front desk were friendly and also tried to be accommodating, with the exception of one gentleman who worked in the late evening. The barbecue area in the very late evening to early morning hours was very nosey, with folks partying and talking loudly right under our balcony. Overall, I was a bit disappointed with my stay and decided to leave early. I am not likely to return to this resort.

2 Thank Patricia B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the weekend with friends. The location is perfect, right on the beach and not too far from restaurants and whatnot. The rooms are somewhat outdated but they were clean. Nice balcony with a view of the beach, we actually saw dolphins swimming from our room. The price is fair for what they offer.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
brucemo123, General Manager at El Coronado Resort, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you, Steve...I'm glad your enjoyed our resort and look forward to hosting you again when in the Wildwoods!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wildwood Crest
#5 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Pan American Hotel
Pan American Hotel
#4 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to El Coronado Resort? Share your experiences!