“Much disappointment after many pleasant visits”
Review of El Coronado Resort

El Coronado Resort
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Camden, New Jersey
“Much disappointment after many pleasant visits”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We have stayed at the El Coronado almost every year for about 20 years. When we first stayed, it was a wonderful romantic getaway. When we had our daughter, the oceanfront suites became the perfect vacation lodging. She was about six before she realized that she did not own an apartment at the El Coronado. She still called it her apartment in Wildwood Crest for several years. There was a rough patch several years ago, during which we became acquainted with a lovely little place (Blue Fish Inn) in Cape May. We decided to try the El Coronado again, because she likes it so much there, and we like a beachfront location. In June 2013, we booked a three night stay. For the first time, we told her she could take a friend, so her best friend was with us. We arrived shortly before check in time. I asked at the desk if we could check in, because we had always been able to check in early before. The room was not ready, so we came back about two hours later. We were told that the room would not be ready for awhile, because there was a bus coming, and they had to get ready for them. It was not yet the busy season, and they knew ahead of time the bus was coming!!! We waited as patiently as possible, allowing the girls to change and go to the pool and the beach. The bus arrived, and the folks were checked in and given their rooms. I asked two more times, until at about four hours after check in time, we were finally given a room. It was not the room that was on our reservation, being on the second floor, not the third. I always request a room on the third floor or above. The second floor is much less desirable (in our opinion). The woman with whom I spoke was not the least bit apologetic for the long wait; in fact, she was impatient when we checked on the status. (There was another woman working at the front desk who was pleasant at that time, and throughout our stay.) The latch on the sliding door was broken.There were no pots and pans in the cabinets. There was a note by the air conditioning controls saying not to set them below a certain temperature, which we dutifully did; however, we woke up with the carpet next to the bathroom soaking wet, which my husband determined was most likely from the air conditioning. We like the cleaning staff, and we empathize that they work low-wage jobs and get little respect. We have no specific complaints about them or their work. On the day of check out, I asked if we could have an hour later check out time, to give the girls some more time on the beach and at the pool while I packed. The same woman who was rude when we had to wait four hours past check in time on the day we arrived said no we could not, because it was the busy season (it was two weeks prior to the start of the busy season). Fortunately, the nicer woman was present and said we could have the hour later time. While this was not the stay from hell, it was very disappointing in terms of how they treated us, disregard of our comfort and satisfaction, as well as the state of disrepair of the room. While I might try the El Coronado again in a couple of years, for one night, I will not longer recommend it to others. It would be embarassing to do so and have them experience what we did on this trip.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have a better view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank pal1972

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
New Providence, NJ
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Recently stayed three nights mid-week in August. We chose this hotel due to the many room configurations available. Had stayed for almost twenty years at the Port Royal but their largest unit would no longer accomodate us, as we wanted a central living area with two bedrooms and two baths.

Check-in was okay. Front desk not overly friendly. Arrived at 3:00 so we expected a line. Our room was on the fourth floor. The living room area was gigantic but the furniture was extremely old and the rug was very dirty. Would not recommend for anyone with children crawling around. Kitchen chair had some kind of goo all over the cushion (melted ice cream?). Unit could use a good overall scrub and paint job.

The bedrooms looked like they did not belong in the same unit. They were very nicely updated and the king bed was very comfortable in bedroom number one. Beds not so comfortable in bedroom number two. I assumed all the beds would have been the same, but not so.

Bathrooms had a lot of issues. I had to actually clean someone else's mess from near the toilet handle. One bathroom's sink was extremely slow running and we had a problem with the shower. The second day the cold water did not work at all, so we had to have maintenance come out at night to repair it (which they promptly did). Bathroom number two's walls were filthy. Just awful. Painting might not be in the budget, but for goodness sake, get a bucket and scrub brush!

Parking was okay. One night we had to park on the street a couple blocks away since we returned late, and while there were a couple spaces open, our van would not fit.

Restaurant was the best part. Breakfast and lunch were excellent with a very good service. Outdoor seating for lunch was extremely loud due to live music by the pool.

Pros: Very large unit, updated bedrooms, great view, excellent restaurant
Cons: Needs MAJOR cleaning, very old furniture/rug in living room area

For over $500 a night, we were disappointed and would not return.

3 Thank miminj16
Floral Park, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

After reading reviews.on tbere about this resort I cancelled 1 night of my stay hoping I could get thru 2 nights! After the face I am sorry I didnt stay 2 extra nights! I fou d none of the issues that were given in otber reviews of this resort. It was clean spacious friendly and we had a ball. I am.looking forward to booking another vaca there next summer

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank lsmc119
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Just had another great week long stay at El Coronado (+/- $1900). Holding steady for more than three decades, they must be doing something right. One of only a handful of 6+ story resorts allowed in the Wildwood's today. El Coronado hotels truly has a parking space for every room. Not kidding. El Coronado offers one of the largest pools on the shore also. Keep in mind two thousand bucks today buys airfare and souvenirs for most vacation destinations.

I'm from Albany, New York and as a kid I visited Wildwood from '77 to '93. The Swan. The Imperial 500. The Madrid. The Bal Harbour. Three Coins Motel. Oh my. The Grand (definitely not the current one). Poor air conditioning. No parking. Small pools. My last stay as a teenager was El Coronado in '93. Awesome. It was unlike all my previous visits to the Crest. Then I took a break for college and to begin a career. I returned to the shore in 2000 and have every year since.

In 2000 my now spouse and I, on a budget tried The Singapore. Ouch. Then, The Waikiki (cute but old). The Barcelona? Oo fah. Then tried The Bal Harbour for a couple years, but it hadn't changed since Bob Dylan went electric. Then we tried El Coronado. Bingo. The closest thing to a true condo without the condo price. Every room faces the ocean. Killer pool and arcade. Four sets of washer/dryers and two clean free ice dispenser. Additional bonus - the chair and umbrella rental and beach portapotty's are right in front of this resort. Those services are not in front of every hotel/motel on the beach.

Besides running one of Wildwood's larger resorts with a gigantic pool, restaurant, and an arcade, El Coronado has an affiliation with two additional waterfront restaurants and a dockside bar in their family of vacation offerings. The Coronado staff and management continue to impress. Many of the same faces each year. Our last 5 vacations have been at El Coronado and as long as Antoinette is booking, we will keep returning. Enjoy the canolis!

If you haven't tried... Neils Steakhouse (shout out to Jamie/Rico). Also, sister companies tied to El Coronado Uries/The Boathouse/Beach Creek just over the bridge on Rio Grande. Alfe's or Piro's Italian Restaurants - both local favorites. Trust the natives. Sal's Pizza - forgetaboutit. Primo Hoagies for sandwiches. Surfside West Diner - the original hangover cure. And a word to the wise. Get get off of the Jitney Trolly Bus if the driver says he is known as "Wild Bill".

FYI. Every room in every hotel/motel is worn out no matter where you stay. Thousands upon thousands of people each season sharing sleeping quarters. New carpet and furniture and paint cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and can only be addressed so often. If a resort changes those items every season, the cost per night would double. Help keep Wildwood affordable and look out at the ocean, not down at the stain on the rug. Watch the tramcar please. God bless Artie Lange. 8/29/13 M&M.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank LathamBeachBum
Woodbridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I read the reviews prior to coming here and it had me very concerned. I had booked 3 rooms for my family, all with great views of the pool and ocean. I cannot understand some of the negative reviews! We had such a great time. The staff could not have been nicer. The rooms were very clean and looked JUST like the web pictures. The elevators ALWAYS worked, the pool was great and clean (though we prefer the beach), the restaurant was fine for a quick, inexpensive meal, their was always ice in the machines, parking was NEVER problem, etc. I scratched my head as I walked the property trying to understand what all the negative fuss was about. This is a very sweet little gem and we will most definitely return!

Room Tip: Book the rooms with ocean and/or pool views. The E room was perfect for a family of 5 and grandma!
2 Thank Rachel Z
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Yes, this is a dated hotel. There are a lot of updates that could be done. We have stayed there 4 years in a row, always on a package. The hotel is always full, hence I would think it is not that bad of a place to stay. The staff has always been helpful and kind. There are a couple of crabby ones, but that happens everywhere. The coffee shop staff are very efficient. I think people confuse dirty with old, I have never had a cleanliness issue. As far as cost goes, it is on the shore and it is summer...of course it will cost you. I will go back again.

Room Tip: Book your stay early in the year, request above the 4th floor ocean view and ask to be in the middle...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at this resort 2 years ago and it was pleasant. We decided to come back this summer with family. However, this time the stay was not pleasant at all. We traveled with 2 other families and they wouldn't accommodate our rooms being right near each other. We were lucky we got the same floor is what we were told. On our last night there my sisters car broke down and she had to stay an extra night and they were going to charge her $272 for that night when the hotel across the street was going to give it to her for $180! My brother in law finally got price down to $200 so that they didn't have to move their baby and all their stuff. Then we checked out and my son forgot his DS Video game console on the floor and what a surprise when we called that night to find out that housekeeping never saw it! 3 days later they are still looking for it! Gets better....my other sister left 3 dresses hanging in the bathroom and those were gone as well. When we called about that the housekeepers threw them in the laundry with the towels!! 3 days later they are missing. I will NEVER EVER stay at this hotel again b/c of their dishonest staff and their lack of helping families out in difficult situations!

3 Thank Vmuro7

#7 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
#3 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to El Coronado Resort? Share your experiences!