We have stayed at the El Coronado almost every year for about 20 years. When we first stayed, it was a wonderful romantic getaway. When we had our daughter, the oceanfront suites became the perfect vacation lodging. She was about six before she realized that she did not own an apartment at the El Coronado. She still called it her apartment in Wildwood Crest for several years. There was a rough patch several years ago, during which we became acquainted with a lovely little place (Blue Fish Inn) in Cape May. We decided to try the El Coronado again, because she likes it so much there, and we like a beachfront location. In June 2013, we booked a three night stay. For the first time, we told her she could take a friend, so her best friend was with us. We arrived shortly before check in time. I asked at the desk if we could check in, because we had always been able to check in early before. The room was not ready, so we came back about two hours later. We were told that the room would not be ready for awhile, because there was a bus coming, and they had to get ready for them. It was not yet the busy season, and they knew ahead of time the bus was coming!!! We waited as patiently as possible, allowing the girls to change and go to the pool and the beach. The bus arrived, and the folks were checked in and given their rooms. I asked two more times, until at about four hours after check in time, we were finally given a room. It was not the room that was on our reservation, being on the second floor, not the third. I always request a room on the third floor or above. The second floor is much less desirable (in our opinion). The woman with whom I spoke was not the least bit apologetic for the long wait; in fact, she was impatient when we checked on the status. (There was another woman working at the front desk who was pleasant at that time, and throughout our stay.) The latch on the sliding door was broken.There were no pots and pans in the cabinets. There was a note by the air conditioning controls saying not to set them below a certain temperature, which we dutifully did; however, we woke up with the carpet next to the bathroom soaking wet, which my husband determined was most likely from the air conditioning. We like the cleaning staff, and we empathize that they work low-wage jobs and get little respect. We have no specific complaints about them or their work. On the day of check out, I asked if we could have an hour later check out time, to give the girls some more time on the beach and at the pool while I packed. The same woman who was rude when we had to wait four hours past check in time on the day we arrived said no we could not, because it was the busy season (it was two weeks prior to the start of the busy season). Fortunately, the nicer woman was present and said we could have the hour later time. While this was not the stay from hell, it was very disappointing in terms of how they treated us, disregard of our comfort and satisfaction, as well as the state of disrepair of the room. While I might try the El Coronado again in a couple of years, for one night, I will not longer recommend it to others. It would be embarassing to do so and have them experience what we did on this trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Coronado Resort is a beachfront full-service condominium hotel located in the heart of Wildwood Crest just minutes from fine restaurants, nightlife, the world famous Wildwood Boardwalk and just a short drive to Cape May and Atlantic City. With a variety of accommodations from guest rooms to spacious 1, 2, 3 bedroom suites, El Coronado can meet your vacation needs. Enjoy breathtaking ocean views from your balcony or relax on our beachfront sundeck. El Coronado offers free poolside barbeques and live entertainment in season for your enjoyment along with many other amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your El Coronado Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Coronado Hotel Wildwood Crest
- El Coronado Wildwood Crest