“Typical Shore Motel”

El Coronado Resort
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
“Typical Shore Motel”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

First time staying at the El Coronado. Have stayed at many of the motels, but we decided to try this because we like to have separate bedrooms. The room was average and typical of a Wildwood motel. Kitchen cabinets had been recently updated and the bathroom sink and toilet had probably been updated recently also. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were clean which is what is important to me. Couch could be replaced and the carpeting definitely could use a cleaning. The views are very nice and the pool area is kept nice. My only complaint about the pool are and about being on the pool side is that they turn the music/radio on very loud and pretty early and leave it on in to the evening. I like some peace and quiet when I'm away and setting on my balcony. But even in the room you can hear the radio blaring. I don't think that is necessary. The wi-fi worked only one time. After that I was able to get no connections. Front desk said they weren't aware of any problems, but it wasn't working. That wasn't that important, but if it didn't work I probably wouldn't have taken my computer with me. Overall it is an ok place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lvstravling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We recently made a last minute reservation at the El Coronado Motel in Wildwood due to the fact it was supposed to be a great weather weekend and the wife wanted to get away, yet I had online work that needed to be done via computer. I have been coming to Wildwood for 40 years but the place we normally stay at does not have Wi-Fi, so after researching places to stay and discovering the El Coronado did offer such, I called to make reservations and also verified that Wi-Fi was available in their rooms.

Shortly after check-in, I was able to connect in our room, but that was about it. There was no signal or response so I immediately called the front desk to see what was wrong, only to be told that “Yeah - It’s not really working in the rooms”. I mentioned that I had business to do and this was the only reason I chose this motel and asked if I could be relocated to another room where it might work better. I was told that was not possible and that I should “keep my door open” and maybe that might help. I replied that I was not about to keep my door open over the next two days (which I did try once and even took my laptop into the hall – but it was not better) and was told my only option was to speak with the manager who would be arriving at 4:30. I did go down and wait for her and when we spoke I was told nicely that there are indeed regular problems and she apologized and said I should let her know what she could do for me. I spent a lot of time that weekend instead in their “Internet Lounge” with hard wired units which were slow but adequate. At checkout on Sunday, I did refer to the situation again and mentioned that being they wanted to do something for me if I could get any adjustment on my room rate due to my inconvenience? I was told that would not be possible and the only option I was given was to speak with the GM on Monday. I called him the next day and explained the situation. He apologized but politely denied my request for an adjustment stating that they have been having problems for some time now and it was out of his control. Yes, I believe that was true, but when you advertise something and someone calls to verify it’s availability, you should at least provide some token compensation – especially for a first time guest who chose your property for that specific reason. I was then offered by him a potential free upgrade on a future stay – but deemed that totally unsatisfactory being now there will be no future stay due to his response and also my other negative experiences between our arrival and departure.

I basically felt “unclean” there during my whole stay and it looks like little has been maintained over the past 20 years. Our room was okay but in need of a good cleaning and an upgrade. There was cracked tile on the floor, a missing electrical outlet cover, and visible black mold on the vents. I heard people in the hall complaining about waste cans not being emptied, towels not replaced, cleaning rags left in the shower and such. Our room was missing tissues and my wife asked the attendant, but that person did not speak English so she ended up getting them from the Front Desk. The bathroom did have plenty of extra towels and toilet paper, but unfortunately there was not a shelf or rack to keep then on, so they were all just piled on the toilet. A second sink and mirror outside the bathroom was nice.

The halls were dingy and it appears they have been touching up the marks with fresh paint. Unfortunately, it is not the same shade paint as the original and looks pretty shabby. I did get stuck in the elevator once as the doors closed and we did not move. Fortunately, there was a worker on with me who manually pushed the door closed harder which enabled the car to function.

The first floor lobby area is okay, but the men’s shower room contained a Sauna I tried that did not work. We ate breakfast once in their Café. The food and service was good but way overpriced and did not go back again for that reason. They also did not offer a discount to their guests staying there as many other motels in the area do.

It appears the place too is all about money as at check-in they offered us “Towel Cards” to use to utilize in exchange for towels for the pool, but if you loose the cards you would be charged $20 each. Leave a dirty dish in the sink in your room? The sign says that will cost you $30. Need ice for your cooler? They will gladly sell you some in their café.

The pool area looked nice, but that is about all I can give the property a plus on.

On their brochure and website they advertise themselves as “Wildwood Crest’s Premier Oceanfront Family Resort” but if you check the actual online rankings on this web site and others, you will see that they are much closer to the bottom than the top. I realize one or two reviews do not set a standard, but the MAJORITY of comments about this place are extremely negative and I accept the fact that they are accurate.

Based on the non-upkeep of the property I saw, the comments I heard from others while staying there, the recent online postings I read about this property, and finally the management’s refusal to even supply me with a token compensation for what I felt was failure to notify me of their known Wi-Fi problems during my inquiry – I can not recommend this property and have no plans of ever returning there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
14 Thank GTPM

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We been staying at the El Coronado for 26 years going down three or four times a year for three and four days at a time. The hotel was always beautiful and we always had a great time. This year we went down three times the first time was in April at it was nice the second time it was labor day and two other couples came down and rented their own room. We bought the package which comes with breakfast and dinner and other activities. The breakfast potatoes were horrible so I talk to the manager who we new for years and he told me they were fine so we just did not eat them . We just went back September 15 checked in at 12 noon and she told us she would call us when the room was ready. She called atl 5 PM. What a waste of day and money. Considering we are long time guests. I am expecting more We could not use the pool because the Air was cold and I did not know how long we had to wait for our room so we just went to bay view restaurant and watch the eagles game I coluld have did that at home and save the money. Also the place did not have blankets I call the front desk and they told me maid service ends at 1 PM. Hello they did not check me in until 5 PM. I asked about the heat I was told in a very mean tone that it was a old building and they don't have heat. It time for us to move on to another place in wildwood crest.
Marie Connors

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Marie C
Camden, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We have stayed at the El Coronado almost every year for about 20 years. When we first stayed, it was a wonderful romantic getaway. When we had our daughter, the oceanfront suites became the perfect vacation lodging. She was about six before she realized that she did not own an apartment at the El Coronado. She still called it her apartment in Wildwood Crest for several years. There was a rough patch several years ago, during which we became acquainted with a lovely little place (Blue Fish Inn) in Cape May. We decided to try the El Coronado again, because she likes it so much there, and we like a beachfront location. In June 2013, we booked a three night stay. For the first time, we told her she could take a friend, so her best friend was with us. We arrived shortly before check in time. I asked at the desk if we could check in, because we had always been able to check in early before. The room was not ready, so we came back about two hours later. We were told that the room would not be ready for awhile, because there was a bus coming, and they had to get ready for them. It was not yet the busy season, and they knew ahead of time the bus was coming!!! We waited as patiently as possible, allowing the girls to change and go to the pool and the beach. The bus arrived, and the folks were checked in and given their rooms. I asked two more times, until at about four hours after check in time, we were finally given a room. It was not the room that was on our reservation, being on the second floor, not the third. I always request a room on the third floor or above. The second floor is much less desirable (in our opinion). The woman with whom I spoke was not the least bit apologetic for the long wait; in fact, she was impatient when we checked on the status. (There was another woman working at the front desk who was pleasant at that time, and throughout our stay.) The latch on the sliding door was broken.There were no pots and pans in the cabinets. There was a note by the air conditioning controls saying not to set them below a certain temperature, which we dutifully did; however, we woke up with the carpet next to the bathroom soaking wet, which my husband determined was most likely from the air conditioning. We like the cleaning staff, and we empathize that they work low-wage jobs and get little respect. We have no specific complaints about them or their work. On the day of check out, I asked if we could have an hour later check out time, to give the girls some more time on the beach and at the pool while I packed. The same woman who was rude when we had to wait four hours past check in time on the day we arrived said no we could not, because it was the busy season (it was two weeks prior to the start of the busy season). Fortunately, the nicer woman was present and said we could have the hour later time. While this was not the stay from hell, it was very disappointing in terms of how they treated us, disregard of our comfort and satisfaction, as well as the state of disrepair of the room. While I might try the El Coronado again in a couple of years, for one night, I will not longer recommend it to others. It would be embarassing to do so and have them experience what we did on this trip.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have a better view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank pal1972
New Providence, NJ
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Recently stayed three nights mid-week in August. We chose this hotel due to the many room configurations available. Had stayed for almost twenty years at the Port Royal but their largest unit would no longer accomodate us, as we wanted a central living area with two bedrooms and two baths.

Check-in was okay. Front desk not overly friendly. Arrived at 3:00 so we expected a line. Our room was on the fourth floor. The living room area was gigantic but the furniture was extremely old and the rug was very dirty. Would not recommend for anyone with children crawling around. Kitchen chair had some kind of goo all over the cushion (melted ice cream?). Unit could use a good overall scrub and paint job.

The bedrooms looked like they did not belong in the same unit. They were very nicely updated and the king bed was very comfortable in bedroom number one. Beds not so comfortable in bedroom number two. I assumed all the beds would have been the same, but not so.

Bathrooms had a lot of issues. I had to actually clean someone else's mess from near the toilet handle. One bathroom's sink was extremely slow running and we had a problem with the shower. The second day the cold water did not work at all, so we had to have maintenance come out at night to repair it (which they promptly did). Bathroom number two's walls were filthy. Just awful. Painting might not be in the budget, but for goodness sake, get a bucket and scrub brush!

Parking was okay. One night we had to park on the street a couple blocks away since we returned late, and while there were a couple spaces open, our van would not fit.

Restaurant was the best part. Breakfast and lunch were excellent with a very good service. Outdoor seating for lunch was extremely loud due to live music by the pool.

Pros: Very large unit, updated bedrooms, great view, excellent restaurant
Cons: Needs MAJOR cleaning, very old furniture/rug in living room area

For over $500 a night, we were disappointed and would not return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank miminj16
Floral Park, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

After reading reviews.on tbere about this resort I cancelled 1 night of my stay hoping I could get thru 2 nights! After the face I am sorry I didnt stay 2 extra nights! I fou d none of the issues that were given in otber reviews of this resort. It was clean spacious friendly and we had a ball. I am.looking forward to booking another vaca there next summer

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank lsmc119
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Just had another great week long stay at El Coronado (+/- $1900). Holding steady for more than three decades, they must be doing something right. One of only a handful of 6+ story resorts allowed in the Wildwood's today. El Coronado hotels truly has a parking space for every room. Not kidding. El Coronado offers one of the largest pools on the shore also. Keep in mind two thousand bucks today buys airfare and souvenirs for most vacation destinations.

I'm from Albany, New York and as a kid I visited Wildwood from '77 to '93. The Swan. The Imperial 500. The Madrid. The Bal Harbour. Three Coins Motel. Oh my. The Grand (definitely not the current one). Poor air conditioning. No parking. Small pools. My last stay as a teenager was El Coronado in '93. Awesome. It was unlike all my previous visits to the Crest. Then I took a break for college and to begin a career. I returned to the shore in 2000 and have every year since.

In 2000 my now spouse and I, on a budget tried The Singapore. Ouch. Then, The Waikiki (cute but old). The Barcelona? Oo fah. Then tried The Bal Harbour for a couple years, but it hadn't changed since Bob Dylan went electric. Then we tried El Coronado. Bingo. The closest thing to a true condo without the condo price. Every room faces the ocean. Killer pool and arcade. Four sets of washer/dryers and two clean free ice dispenser. Additional bonus - the chair and umbrella rental and beach portapotty's are right in front of this resort. Those services are not in front of every hotel/motel on the beach.

Besides running one of Wildwood's larger resorts with a gigantic pool, restaurant, and an arcade, El Coronado has an affiliation with two additional waterfront restaurants and a dockside bar in their family of vacation offerings. The Coronado staff and management continue to impress. Many of the same faces each year. Our last 5 vacations have been at El Coronado and as long as Antoinette is booking, we will keep returning. Enjoy the canolis!

If you haven't tried... Neils Steakhouse (shout out to Jamie/Rico). Also, sister companies tied to El Coronado Uries/The Boathouse/Beach Creek just over the bridge on Rio Grande. Alfe's or Piro's Italian Restaurants - both local favorites. Trust the natives. Sal's Pizza - forgetaboutit. Primo Hoagies for sandwiches. Surfside West Diner - the original hangover cure. And a word to the wise. Get get off of the Jitney Trolly Bus if the driver says he is known as "Wild Bill".

FYI. Every room in every hotel/motel is worn out no matter where you stay. Thousands upon thousands of people each season sharing sleeping quarters. New carpet and furniture and paint cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and can only be addressed so often. If a resort changes those items every season, the cost per night would double. Help keep Wildwood affordable and look out at the ocean, not down at the stain on the rug. Watch the tramcar please. God bless Artie Lange. 8/29/13 M&M.

• Stayed August 2013
#8 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Bal Harbour Hotels
Bal Harbour Hotels
#32 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to El Coronado Resort? Share your experiences!