“Great Location, and LOVE that I can take my dog!”

Beach Colony Resort Motel
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I booked this hotel based on the location, price, and the fact that we could bring our dog. When my husband and I first arrived at the hotel for our week-long vacaion, it looked outdated and we thought we wouldn't enjoy it at all. Lola was very, very nice, and we felt welcomed as soon as we walked into the office. The room was outdated, but workable for the week we were there, we didn't mind at all. The pool was nice, and even though the place was packed, we didn't hear any of our neighbors nor did we hear any dogs barking throughout the night. Of course when you're outside and walking by you can hear the dogs, but dogs DO bark, so you expect it. I would have liked to see gates at the end of the walkways because a few dogs ran out of their rooms while we were there and went out onto the sidewalk, and a gate would have stopped them from leaving the hotel area, but overall, I liked it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 2traveluvrs

Reviewed 25 September 2011

This is the WORST and DIRTIST motel we have ever stayed in., We had our two dogs with us so we booked our vacation here. BIG MISTAKE !!!! The room and dresser smelled musty,moled in the bathroom. Hair ,that was not ours, in the shower. And sand in the bed on our first night and we did not even go to the beach yet. After three days and our sheets still were not changed we had to pack up and leave. We booked two weeks here and we just could not stand it. We found another guest clothes under the bed, we found notes on the dresser from the owner , she came in our room always when we were not there, to keep our dogs quite. THIS MOTEL DID SAY PET FRIENDLY BUT IT WAS ANYTHING BUT. Lola the owner is as crazy and nasty as they come. The best part is the dogs are not allowed in the pool area and that is fine we had no problem with that BUT LOLAS TWO DOGS WERE ALLOWED TO SWIM IN THE POOL !!!!!!!
AND WATER PRESSURE FOR THE SHOWER "NONE " . We asked for half of our money back and LOLA would not give us a refund.

We did call the Board of Health on this motel !!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't book one here !!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank clive d
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My sister and took our 3 kids and dog. The front desk staff was amazing!!!! They went above and beyond to accomidate our every need!!! It definately had a homey family like setting not a high class stuffy snobby feel. The location could not be better!!!! My dog enjoyed her stay :) the pool kept the kids entertained. Knowing that it is pet friendly we were considered but it was super clean. We are already planning next year!!!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I looked into the eyes (sad eyes) of my Maltese snowball, as she entered the property. The stench on the grounds is a precussor to the zoo like atmosphere in the room. If i might take a step back i would have had snow ball, bite lolla, the owner, during checkin, though i was afriad of what snow ball might catch from the old sea hag. THE ROOM - Even the mold and bacteria is trying to escape the cell. Remnants of urine and feces abound. In fairness to the pet friendly atmoshpere, the bugs in the room seem to be quite content. We didnt have the nerve or the rubber gloves to life up the bed spreed to see what lies beneath the sheets. On a positive note, if you have a pet chimpanzee, alligator, mountian lion or gorilla, i recommend the room, leave your pet there, and stay somewhere else. I wasn't sure if the poop stainbs on the floor were from the animals or the humans who dare not use the toilet. I spent thousands of dollars for a college education, but for just under $300 we ran for the hills with no possibility for a refund, and the education of a lifetime!

Room Tip: In fairness to the pe
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank HonestAbe2011
Reviewed 16 August 2010

After a much excited anticipation of our family vacation, it went down hill as soon as we check-in in this motel!
I would always booked our Wildwood vacation and every year we always have a nice stay in other hotels. This year, because we had our family pet, my sister took care of booking since she's the one who wants to stay in a pet friendly hotel.
My husband and I normally get a puppy sitter but my sister and her family who are also coming with us decided to take her dog and since we got ours too, we all decided to go along with my other cousins (who doesn't have pets but since we want to be together, they book the same hotel). The other half of our extended family who didn't have pets were booked a hotel nearby...
As soon as we checked-in, Lola (the owner) had all this rules and regulations posted all over the hotel area (all hand written). She told us to pay a balance which was not the original balance she told us and long story short, we had proof that we were right and so she gave us a refund on the difference (strike one)...then she kept coming in our room to count how many people is staying inside (strike two). We were cooking downstairs by the pool (grilling) and she came out saying that we cannot make noise (we weren't) and as we stayed thru the 10 o'clock mark, she closed the lights and put a chain on the grill (3rd strike). We told her that our other relatives are coming from the other hotel to visit and warned her ahead of time that we will not make noises, they are coming just to greet us and we will go somewhere to do our stuff but as soon as she saw them, she came out and kick them all out! You could just see the shocked and embarrassment we had!!!! We were going to leave and get refund but NOOOOO we cannot do that so we were STUCKED there! The hotel rooms are run downed! i Mean REALLY RUN DOWN! as if you were staying in Back to the Future 1950's flashback! It was horrible! The bathroom doors are vibrating sounds that almost sounded like someone is trying to break in while you're inside. We were charged an ocean view rate but there is no view bec. there is another condo build right next to this motel and our view is the condo! Maybe it was an ocean view when Lola was 15 yrs old! now she's in her 80"s-at least that's how she looks like! The water in the shower is too HOT and you have to run it for few minutes to get an even hot and cold! We ended up showering in my other relative's hotel!...my sister felt really bad. This is the very first time she booked for us and this is what we got (i don't know how many strike there is now). When we left, we just left without checking out (oh! we cannot do that bec. Lola just don't want our business anymore, she has another handwritten sign to just leave the keys in the mail box!)....Oh! what a vacation!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
9  Thank emerina
Reviewed 24 July 2010

BEACH COLONY IS A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE PLACE!!!! If spending a night at the BATES MOTEL is your cup of tea, then the Beach Colony Motel in Wildwood Crest is the place for you. The owner/operator, Lola, is as KOOKY and CREEPY as they come. We are middle class people and wanted to take our child and our family dogs, for a simple affordable vacation. We have no problem staying in average motel rooms but this place was off the charts horrendous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On our 3 hour journey to the Beach Colony, we decided to call ahead to cofirm our reservation. We called for hours and no one would answer the phone and there was no answering machine to leave a message. This should have been accepted as a bad omen of terrible things to come. I also should have taken a cue from the fact that Lola would only take a check for down payment and cash for the $400 balance. This is unheard of in any hotel or motel and a red flag should have gone up right then and ther. We decided on the Beach Colony because they advertise as pet friendly. Well let me tell you, they are NOT!!! KOOKY LOLA didn't like our big dog from the get go (he is as gentle as he is big.) She kept making rude comments that he might intimidate the other guests dogs. Yet LOLA's 2 German Shepherds were allowed to run at large from morning to night time with no supervision and free reign of the entire motel compound. We ignored LOLA's rudeness and made our way to our room; and what a shocker that was. The room was deplorable and filthy and obviously Wildwood Crest doesn't inspect anything because if they did, it would have been condemned long ago. The floor was commercial flooring that appeared to be 50 years old and never received a coat of wax or a cleaning. It was so disgusting that we were afraid to walk on it with our bare feet, as were our two dogs. There was no carpeting in the room whatsoever. Then to our horror, we discovered that there is a door that opens and leads right into the adjoining motel room. Not safe at all. I'm a police officer and was very concerned that someone would have easy access to our room and our valuables if we left the room. Upon arrival, Lola issued us a key instead of a modern barcode card, which is standard with all motels in this high tech day and age. So the thought that someone could easily make a copy of our room key prior to our arrival had us concerned to say the least. The curtains and bed spread were circa 1950 and came complete with complimentary sand in the bed sheets. The refrigerator did not keep anything cold even on the highest setting. It was disgusting inside and appeared to be as ancient and run down as Lola, with broken food drawers inside and no light bulb. The microwave had exposed metal on several spots which is dangerous. The tub was disgusting and we would not even take a bath or a shower in it. The bathroom was old and run down with a dirty window and screen leading directly into the shower. The desk/tv stand and bed must have been 50 years old. The TV was a small 19" that must have been 20 years old and most of the channels weren't accessible because the Beach Colony hasn't added the digital cable box that is necessary to receive digital channels. You can forget a telephone because there was none. Our child was more horrified by the deplorable condition of the room than we were and we tried to make the best of it for one night but decided after one horrible night, it was time to go home. I might add that there was a stairwell fairly close to our room and all night(even after 3AM) we were awakened by people running up and down the stairs as if it were the middle of the day. The next morning we packed everything up hours before checkout and I kindly asked Lola for a refund and she rudely refused. Although we are not rich people and really couldn't afford to lose nearly $400 for the other 2 nights that I paid for already, we felt it best to leave immediately than stay one more night in this LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. We have unintentionally stayed at a few undesirable motels over the years but none could compare with the Beach Colony. How they are still open is beyond me... but one look at the other clientele that had been staying at the Beach Colony gave us our answer. I was embarrassed that I had subjected my family to a one night stay at a place as horrible as this. Please do yourself and your family a favor and DO NOT BOOK A ROOM AT THIS RATHOLE OF A MOTEL!!! I just hope by writing this review that I can HELP SOME OTHER PERSON NOT TO MAKE THE SAME TERRIBLE MISTAKE THAT WE DID BY STAYING THERE. We love our pets to death and would never subject them to staying in a horrible place like this again. How someone could give this place a positive rating can only be explained that probably, the staff are putting positive reviews on here to counter the true reviews so they can keep their sinking ship of a motel afloat.The pictures on the website must have been doctored up with photoshop or taken years ago because they are not a true depiction of how horrendous and run down the Beach Colony truely is. Good riddance to Beach Colony and hopefully everyone else can learn from our horrible mistake of staying there!! Run away, run as fast as you can!!!

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
16  Thank HateBeachColony
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Since we are back at home instead of the shore I'll resubmit a review I sent yestereday of our adventure of the Beach Colony in Wildwood NJ. .I called and booked our July 2,3 & 4 vacation in early May and was never asked for a deposit. I called again/gave my name to reassure on June 28 and was told all was okay. On our way to the hotel July 2 we were held up in traffic, called/ fgave my name and were thanked for calling. When we arrived the manager was gone, we waited a half hour till she came back and told us she had sold our room. Unbelivable!!...until you meet and talk to Lola the owner who is about as run down as the town of Wildwood and still preying on the summer tourist trade. She suggested the Surf 16 uptown who were asking $173 per night, %14 tax and a 3 night minimum. Looked like a Crackhouse room with a pool.
We headed home the same night.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple