“Had a Blast at "The Gondolier"”
Review of Gondolier Motel

Gondolier Motel
Ranked #25 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed 19 August 2006

We just got home from a wonderful 5 day, 4 night stay at the Gondolier Motel in Wildwood Crest. We miss it already.
We were right on the ocean and a quick walk from the boardwalk. The motel isn't fancy, but it is CLEAN and everyone who works there, from the front office to the pool man to the always smiling housekeepers, made it the most enjoyable and relaxing vacation we could have wanted. The weather helped, too!
Our room had a living room with a TV, a full size refrigerator, a microwave oven and coffee maker along with a couch/pullout bed and table/chairs. The bedroom had 2 double beds and another TV. The housekeepers kept us stocked with plenty of towels, which doesn't seem like a big deal, but believe me, with a wife and 3 girls IT WAS HUGE!
The pool was fun, especially for the kids, as it had a deep end with a diving board. Not all the motels have pools with diving boards. And there were plenty of lounge chairs and umbrella tables all around the pool.
They also had 2 big grills at poolside, where we had our own little bar-b-que one night, which was a great touch....they don't let you do that, at those big, fancy hotels.
At night after spending the day at the beach or poolside, if the kids didn't get down to the boardwalk, they just went down the walkway to Gondolier's own game room.
and to keep the really efficient mothers happy there is a laundry room!
The only gripe the kids had, was that the pool closes at 8pm...they probably would have swam and dove all night long, but I guess some people like to get to sleep early so they can hit the beautiful beaches early or get in a bike ride before it gets too hot.....
Anyway, if you are looking for a nice, clean, fun place for a reasonable price ( we paid around 240 a night for 5 people), I HIGHLY recommend The Gondolier.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
There are newer reviews for Gondolier Motel

Reviewed 2 July 2006

The Gondolier Motel in Wildwood Crest is simply the BEST! The staff is so friendly and helpful...our housekeeper, Lisa, was outstanding. The rooms were so clean..the entire premises were clean. The beds were SO comfortable...the first time I didn't return home with a sore back! It's just a fantastic motel...I would definately recommend it to anyone looking for a place to vacation in Wildwood Crest! It's truly a FIVE STAR place!!!!

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank Rhiannon2luv
Reviewed 15 January 2006

My family and I stayed at the Gondolier in June 04 and everything was perfect. The rooms were spotless and the staff could not do enough for us. This was our first experience of an American hotel and we were very impressed. The kids loved the pool and the location was perfect. All in all I would highly recomend staying at the Gondlier.Thanks to everybody for a wonderful holiday.Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2004
2  Thank owen040
Reviewed 19 December 2005

My family and I stayed at the Gondelier Hotel over the Labor Day weekend. It was my first time there. We loved it. The view was awesome, the rooms were clean and the service was excellent. The location to the boardwalk & beach was the best of all. I would like to make this my new family vacation spot. Also it was child friendly for my 4 & 2 year old.:) See ya next summer!

6  Thank whitelines
Reviewed 17 August 2005

Just got back from a four day stay at the Gondolier. It is a typical concrete Wildwood hotel, therefore you access your room via the common exterior balconies. Altough it is a bit dated it is very clean and well maintained. The location is great, right on the beach and a few blocks from the boardwalk. The staff was very friendly. If you realize what a beach motel here is all about (you are paying for the location)you will be happy at the Gondolier.

6  Thank rkstjarz
Reviewed 8 August 2005

We just came back from a 5 days vacation in Wildwood. We had a wonderful time over there. We stayed at The Gondolier in Wildwood Crest. Like all motels in Wildwood, it's a little bit old. We cannot compare with other motels but The Gondolier has nice and very clean rooms. The pool is big enough and there is a game room with a pool table. Yes, it is expensive for the type of rooms available but since they are open only a few months during the year...

The boardwalk and excellent restaurants (yes... really!) are at a walking distance from the motel and the beach is right there... if you plan your meals, many restaurants offers a special menu with reduced prices meals between 4 and 5 pm... it is worth the try... I had pasta with shrimps for less than 10$.

one thing's for sure... we are going back next year!

4  Thank Christy30
Reviewed 25 July 2005

A REAL REVIEW...

First, I'd like to say that I've been to the Wildwoods at least 50 times in the last 30 years, and I've stayed at, at least 30 different places. My favorite place of them all (of the one's that I've tried), is the Port Royal. I only stayed at the Gondolier because I couldn't get reservations at the Port Royal and because of it's high rating here. I've seen it before in my travels and never thought much of it's looks, but sometimes, you can't judge a book by it's cover.

I booked an Ocean-front 2-room suite w/kitchen, at $265. per night with taxes... rather steep for a "glorified" Motel, but I don't have a problem paying for quality. Upon seeing the building, it was as I remembered it to be, a typical 1960's, stucco, 3 1/2 story motel. Walkby terraces, front entry, with pool on the side. As I entered the grounds I noticed they were very small, with everything squeezed-in together. The pool was clean, but crowded. The 2 gas-grills were 3 ft. from the high-end of the pool, constantly getting splashed from divers (making it next to impossible for anyone to barbeque). As I squeezed passed other guests sitting in front of their poolside rooms (very narrow porches), I turned at the end to my "ocean-front" room on the 2nd floor. I was somewhat disappointed because the oceanview was blocked by foilage in the dunes , which sprouted about 20' high. I could only see the beach or ocean if I looked to the left, or right, or jumped 3 feet in the air. There was also a bike and pedestrian path, as well as a street right off the porch which reduced the privacy and decreased the peace at night. This porch too, was also extremely narrow and difficult to pass by.

Upon entering the front room, again, disappointment. Old, ugly 20 y.o. wallpaper, poor furniture configuration (impossible to watch T.V., while in bed) and a musty smell. The old wall A/C unit was extemely loud, but cold. I did notice however, a Wildwood rarity...new carpeting. The second room was separated by a wooden sliding door... again the musty smell and a loud A/C unit. To the right was the so-called kitchen... tiny everything. It was similar to what you'd find in a small trailer. No counter-space at all, 2 burner stove and a tiny sink. The fridge however was full-sized. The vinyl floor was ripped. Next, the small bathroom... just big enough to take care of business, clean, except for the big complaint... a filthy, disgusting, corroded showerhead (shame on them).

For this kind of money, albeit prime-season, one would expect lodging at a higher quality than this. There is no way that this motel should be rated #2 in Wildwood Crest. Out of the 30 places I've stayed at, this falls in the middle. Folks... this is your average, run-of-the mill, 1960's Wildwood motel. It has the same smells, stains, cracks, etc. that anyone, who has ever stayed anywhere in Wildwood would be accustomed to. The Gondolier is nothing special. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad place, but if it wasn't where it is, it would be a $50. a night motel. If you can find another Motel, in a similar location and get a better deal... take it. You may be a bit disappointed there too, but at least you got what you payed for. I don't feel that I did. My recommendation (if you can get a room), would be the Port Royal... you may have to book now for next year. For those that plan to stay a full week, you're much better off renting a Condo. Wildwood is now full of brand new "Townhouse" type Condo's... many with "For Rent" signs in the window. A week in the Gondolier for my room would run you about $1800., get another family and rent one of those new Condo's and you'll have much more room, be in a cleaner and newer environment, have privacy and maybe even save a few bucks.

This review was the absolute, honest truth... I hope it helps.

• Stayed: July 2005