“They hurt my feelings.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sand Dune Resort Motel
Ranked #41 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I know, boo hoo.
First the good.
Sand Dune is very reasonably priced. It's clean, great location, you get almost an efficiency in each room even if you don't pay for one (microwave and fridge in every room).
We stayed in the same room two years in a row and our room was right in front of the pool; also just about next to the parking spots as well so checking in and out was super easy.
Both times we visited, we came early and were able to check in well ahead of time because our room was ready. They also have a changing room for before/after check out if you don't want to lose an entire beach day on a day where you're arriving or leaving.
This motel is also very QUIET. It seems as if the same families stay here every year and it's so nice to see that.
There's a nice sun deck and a bbq area as well.
So last year we got a talking to because of our use of spray on sunscreen. I preface this to say that they probably have a point but it felt like a huge reprimand.
Anyhow, before going out, we would put our sunscreen on inside of the room. I've always done this and never had a second thought about it. Apparently, the spray on sunscreen got on the carpet in some areas and also got on the tile floor of the kitchen area making it super slippery. The maid discovered this and couldn't figure out how to get it off of the floor. It was such a to do between us and the maid and the owner that I was beginning to wonder if we were supposed to find some sort of product to get it up or if they were going to charge us for getting it cleaned up.
Then with the carpet--We were reprimanded saying that the carpet was new and that we shouldn't be putting on sunscreen in the rooms because it might ruin the carpet.
Point taken.
But--can you imagine the crap that gets on those carpets in the first place? Between the sand and the pool water and stuff that clings to bear feet, you'd think it would be expected that SOMETHING would get on the carpet.
Anyhow.. it just rubbed me the wrong way because of their approach.
Other than that everyone there has always been very kind and accommodating from making the reservation to checking in, to leaving.
I'd still highly recommend Sand Dune but I'm trying out another place this year. I'm scared they'll remember me and have to supervise our sunscreen application!! ACK!

3  Thank Karen N

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Our stay was enjoyable. Rooms were very clean. Pool was clean and heated. It's would be nice if the pool was open later. Great covered grill area. Close to the beach.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Troutman35
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Nice place. Clean and neat rooms with kitchen eating area plus bedroom. There is a mini golf course on grounds. Not sure if there is a separate charge for that. Nice looking pool. I say nice looking because we didn't use so... Also a small game room on premises with air hockey and video games. Nice owners. One thing I found very annoying was the lack of an ice machine. Ice was available for purchase. This was a big no no to me.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This was a top 5 motel in the Crest a few years ago. Nothing has changed so I'm baffled as to why it has dropped down in the ratings. Its clean and up-to-date. They have a laundry and game room for guests. Free, freshly brewed coffee in the morning. They happily googled a restaurant for me in the office. When I asked for extra towels and Tp they were prompt in delivery. THe pool is well kept and the clientele are polite and quite Although not located on the beach, there is a vacant lot between the beach and the motel. When the A/C is on in the back baedroom you cannot here anything. Bike rental on the corner and the best breakfast at Admirals's on the next corner. I'll be back next year.

1  Thank GardensPlaza74
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed at the Sand Dune again this year for our annual Wildwood Crest vacation. Overall we had a fabulous vacation, but did notice a few issues with the Sand Dune...

Pros:
Value, excellent price for Wildwood Crest, most hotels in the immediate area are
at least $80-$100 more than the Sand Dune.

The outside grounds are very clean, especially around the pool, spotless.

It is right on the beach.

Cons:

The parking spaces are so small. You can easily get a ding or a scratch on your car from someone parked next to you. Our minivan barely fit in the spaces, so we parked on the street every night (Atlantic Ave)

The washer/dryer is so old and in desperate need of an update. I like to pack light, and I usually have to do a couple loads of laundry 1/2 way through our vacation.

The beds are hard, and uncomfortable. It took a few nights to get used to them.

In the two room suites, the air conditioner is only in the back bedroom, so the front room tends to get very warm. So, if someone sleeps in the front room (on the pull out couch) you HAVE to keep the bedroom door open so the air flows out.

Last but not least..... I have read on several reviews here that the owner (the Mr.) is very "stalker" like.. In the past I never noticed it. Well, this year, wow, I noticed it big time. He walks the grounds of the hotel all day long, watching everyone. Seriously watching everyone....We almost felt that if we moved the wrong way he would say something to us. It was weird...

Overall, is it a good value for the price? yes! But, I think we might look for somewhere else to stay next year.

2  Thank haalni123
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Family of 5 for 4 nights. a little tight in the room but worth the $$. rooms, pool and overall hotel were very clean. short walk to beach is also a plus.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mikec61
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Not sure if its because they usually have their grandbabies to attend to or maybe the nature of the business is getting to be too much. The MRS. acts like she is doing us a favor renting a room to us she used to be very freindly.....they dont seem to like the older kids over 8, who can manuever about on their own at the game room, the golf course is obnoxious, with balls pinging off the windows of the downstairs rooms when they go astray of the course which is right in front of rooms, common sense would tell them to put a barrier up or some kind of protective plexiglass in front...Not sure we will go back again..it will be a last resort if we do...Im sure they wont miss our lousy weeks rental...
The Mr. seems to also seems be watching everyone and it feels a bit like stalking.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family