There are some very, very nice things that can be said about the Monterey. It's literally on the beach. There's a nice courtyard, comfortable pool, and volleyball net. Parking is extremely tight, but there is enough for a car per room. The units are all individually owned, so there are a few "losers" in the bunch, but the majority are updated and well-kept.
My family had a very unique Memorial Day weekend this year, though. I thought the management staff was a bit unwelcoming when we checked in, but I shrugged it off. Throughout the weekend, though, the Monterey manager continued to have confrontations with many guests. We woke up to the police being called one morning and from eavesdropping it sounded like one of the owners called them because another renter was parked too close to his parking space. (The spaces are incredibly tiny, so I'm not sure where he wanted to other person to go to?)
The manager was often tough to find, except when she was eating dinner and chatting with owners on the first floor. Four women staying in a room on the third floor told me that she lectured them about "coming home drunk" and threatened to not let them into the room. How rude! She seemed very aloof, very "by-the-book" and seemingly annoyed when she had to talk with other guests.
It seems like a number of the owners are in conflict with one another (one of which was an older gentleman on the first floor who was constantly pointing and whispering about other guests). But the manager let this conflict negatively affect the other guests, all of whom we found to be wonderful people, from the many families to the large group of 20-somethings who we played volleyball with. Isn't it the manager's job to make sure that guests have a good time and don't have to deal with "condo politics"? It's sad to think that I have to reconsider coming back to the Monterey because of one surly owner and a mean-spirited manager.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Monterey is located on the beach at the southern end of Wildwood Crest. Rooms have a beautiful beach and ocean view. Two-room efficiencies and 2-bedroom efficiencies are available for rent. Family oriented with heated pool, shuffleboard, ping pong and pool table. Great family specials. Close to many activities such as: boating, miniature golf, shopping and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Monterey Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monterey Hotel Wildwood Crest
- Monterey Motel Wildwood Crest