“Very pleased”

Ranked #47 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Thurmont, MD
“Very pleased”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

LOVED this place. Great rooms, very clean, comfy and beachy. Can see the ocean while sitting at the kitchen table. Family friendly place. I will be back!

Room Tip: avoid 3rd floor, no elevator and narrow stairs, view from 2nd floor is just as good
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Montauk, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2012

There are some very, very nice things that can be said about the Monterey. It's literally on the beach. There's a nice courtyard, comfortable pool, and volleyball net. Parking is extremely tight, but there is enough for a car per room. The units are all individually owned, so there are a few "losers" in the bunch, but the majority are updated and well-kept.

My family had a very unique Memorial Day weekend this year, though. I thought the management staff was a bit unwelcoming when we checked in, but I shrugged it off. Throughout the weekend, though, the Monterey manager continued to have confrontations with many guests. We woke up to the police being called one morning and from eavesdropping it sounded like one of the owners called them because another renter was parked too close to his parking space. (The spaces are incredibly tiny, so I'm not sure where he wanted to other person to go to?)

The manager was often tough to find, except when she was eating dinner and chatting with owners on the first floor. Four women staying in a room on the third floor told me that she lectured them about "coming home drunk" and threatened to not let them into the room. How rude! She seemed very aloof, very "by-the-book" and seemingly annoyed when she had to talk with other guests.

It seems like a number of the owners are in conflict with one another (one of which was an older gentleman on the first floor who was constantly pointing and whispering about other guests). But the manager let this conflict negatively affect the other guests, all of whom we found to be wonderful people, from the many families to the large group of 20-somethings who we played volleyball with. Isn't it the manager's job to make sure that guests have a good time and don't have to deal with "condo politics"? It's sad to think that I have to reconsider coming back to the Monterey because of one surly owner and a mean-spirited manager.

7 Thank Bernie L
Lehighton, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 20 May 2012

For the price I was not expecting much but to our surprize the rooms were beautiful! We booked 3 rooms and were all next to each other! Pool and BBQ were nice and the view was fantastic!! Loved that we were able to drive to the boardwalk park the car then drive back away from the noise and relax in the quiet!! Overall all 3 families had a great time at Monterey and we will deffinately go back!!!

2 Thank Marc H
New Jersey
Reviewed 14 May 2012

The room was way above par for your normal shore motels. We stayed in a clean, updated unit and can't wait to go back. Great place for families! I'm pretty shocked by some of the reviews of the management. The women we dealt with was very friendly and extremely accommodating. I wouldn't hesitate recommending Monterey Resort to friends and family.

Room Tip: Unit 305 was great!
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Just came back from a 3 night stay here and we had 2 rooms for 12 people. The price you pay for being right on the beach is very good. Then again, for the price you pay you may also need to put up with the cranky woman at the front desk. I read the previous reviews and brushed them off, but she berated me in front of my family within an hour of our arrival. Still don't know why, on the phone I said we had 11 people and one extra came at the last minute so we had 6 for each room which is allowed (6 adults & 6 children). I think she thought were were trying to get more than 12 in the rooms, but there was no excuse for her behavior and extreme unprofessionalism. She then proceeded to yell at another family the same time she was yelling at me. I then witnessed her tirade on yet another family on day 2. Kind of makes you wonder, if she is screaming at so many people, who is the real problem? Regarding the rooms- We found that our feet were getting black from walking on tile floor in the room so had to wear out flip flops in the room. The other room had carpet and was wet from the time we got there. Rooms are small, but get the job done. Showers are like previous reviews- water gets hot, cold, hot, cold, etc. Again, the location is great and it was nice to be right on the beach. The psychopath front desk lady didn't ruin our vacation and didn't bother us again after the incident on the first day and we did have a wonderful family vacation. Not sure if I would stay here again and I do think the cheaper price reflects the potential abuse you may take from the front desk lady.

4 Thank James S

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Southampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I have always hated staying in the motels in Wildwood and the Crest because they have always been dumpy. This was a nice change. It's not the Hyatt Regency or anything, but it definitely was an improvement over other places. We had room 106 and it was newly remodeled and for the most part clean. It had plenty of room and the location is great. - right at the beach, plus the walk down to the water is nothing like it is down in Wildwood.

1 Thank Susan G
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The day before I arrived at the Monterey Resort, i call just to make sure my reservation was ok,and the pool schedule . but the reception I received over the phone was very rude. I was told I did not explained myself properly. on my arrival, at the point of checking in, the person at the office was yelling at another family that was also checking in. I was shocked of the way she spoke to them.

2 Thank jerseygirl25_11