“Loved the beach”

Ranked #54 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Loved the beach”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We decided at the last minute to take a trip to the Shore and we stayed in a one bedroom condo on the third floor. Our stay was Wednesday through Sunday in early June. During the week it was heaven because the building was not fully occupied and the pool had very few people and the beach almost deserted. Wonderful! Then over the weekend more people came and the solitude was gone but it was nice hearing the youngsters enjoying their vacation and we enjoyed meeting our neighbors, most of whom were families or couples. No one (except for a couple of older teen/young adult groups) were too loud or annoying.

The beach here is wide and the sand soft and cleaned every morning. There are lifeguards directly in front of the hotel. Although there is no restaurant, directly across the street is Anthony's Pizza where you can also get breakfast, ice cream, etc.

We did read the fine print and brought our own linens and towels. Also remember to bring paper products (TP!!) and soaps for dishes, etc. Our room had a full kitchen but we could easily have done with a room offering only a microwave/refrigerator/ coffee maker - we never even used the full stove. Several groups used the two BBQ grills on the deck by the pool. The kitchen was fully stocked with dishes, utensils, pots and pans. However there was no salt and pepper, oil, etc. so if you plan to use, be sure to bring with you.

The beds were okay comfortable but I would bring my own pillow next time. The weather was moderate and we didn't need the air-conditioner which was located in the front window only. We were able to open the bedroom window for fresh air at night and it was perfect.

Check in at the front desk was easy and the manager very pleasant and helpful.

It was nice having an elevator - not too many in these older properties - but unfortunately it broke down on the weekend and we had to lug our stuff back down the stairs. Not management's fault as it appears they are doing a wonderful job of keeping up the public areas. We also loved the assigned parking spots - no searching for empty spaces.

The only con is that this area is pretty much motels and residences only. No restaurants or attractions within easy walk. We usually prefer to park the car and not start it up again until it's time to leave. We did walk all the way to Morey's Pier one afternoon but it was a LONG walk. All in all a very nice stay and would stay again if the price was right again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Travelingal15644

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We just booked our upcoming stay for the 2014 season and we're so excited. We stayed there last season and had a fantastic vacation. You cannot beat the location, walk out your door and step on the beach. We stayed in unit 306 and it was beautifully decorated. I loved that the room had bunk bed for the kids and a full be for my husband and I. The room was spotless and management and staff were superb!!

Room Tip: Just view the rooms on the website and pick which one you want.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mary C
Bolton, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My family had a great time at the Madrid. We stay Sept 2013. We booked our room from Homeaway.com being it was my first time to book a vacation via internet, I was a bit worried with all the bad reviews I read. All I have to say is that my family had a wonderful time. Our room was updated and clean. The A/C did cool the whole unit, even though it was in the front and the bedroom was in the back and yes, the owner did mention we have to bring our own linens, which was fine. I'd rather bring my own as I know they were washed. We had a beautiful view of the beach and the beach just steps away. The manager was great, very helpful. The premises was always cleaned, garbage cans were emptied out twice a day, if needed. Pool as clean and heated. My kids loved it. Check it out for yourself before making your decision, not everyone has the same expectations. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 202, is great!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank nancy c
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Booked 3 nights thru Booking.com for Labor Day weekend. Paid almost $600 and when checked-in, found out ugly old efficiency room with the policy not to provide towels, linens, toiletries. You need to bring your own linens and towels, etc or you can rent them for $5-6 dollars a piece! There is no phone in the room. Mattresses are very old and squeaky. Never seen anything like this before. Also, you have to clean the room yourself! Is this a "Resort" or what? Photo of the stairs in emergency condition from my room attached. Never, never use this!
Lenny K. Brooklyn, NY

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Integrum
MadridCondos, Manager at Madrid Oceanfront Condominiums, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear tenant, I feel terrible that you did not enjoy your time at the Madrid. In the response that I sent you through Booking.com I did apologize for you inconveniences. The Madrid Oceanfront Condominiums are exactly that, Condominiums. We do not advertise as a motel and that is why we do not provide motel services. As our website states we do not provide linens, you have the option to bring you own or use our linen service. When you arrived with no linens I did provide you our linens at no charge. Each unit is owned by an individual owner and every unit differs as far as furniture and décor. The unit you stayed in, unit 402, has been updated last year. The living room and dining furniture is only one year old. The owners have done a very nice job in updating their unit. As a condominium we do not provide phones in the units, again I apologize if this was an inconvenience to you. As for the stairwell, we are in the process of making many updates to the building. This particular stairwell is under repair. We do have another stairwell which was just 3 doors down from your unit and another stairwell on the far end of the building. There is also an elevator for your convenience. I only wish you would have addressed these and any other issues with me while you here so we could have tried to improve your stay. Our goal is to make sure all our tenants are satisfied with their stay.

Thank you, Karen M. Coleman
Rental Manager

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Clearfield, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Great location beautiful view. I had a great time the room was very very clean and nice. I recommend this hotel and look at the pictures now they are individually owed I chose room 304. I will be back next year for sure .

Room Tip: Look at the pictures posted on line.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Kellydotts
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Great location, horrible 'condo'. I don't know where to start. Paid almost $600 for Labor Day weekend. For $100 more we could have & should have stayed at a real condo two blocks away. This is a rundown old efficiency motel. There is nothing nice about it. I don't know where these indoor pics were taken but our room is GROSS. If I can post pictures I will. I would never recommend this place or ever stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Joklice
Rutland, Vermont
Reviewed 13 August 2013

After reading many poor reviews we were hesitant to book a room at the Madrid, but we needed to stay in the area and they had rooms available. I called the front desk and they convinced me that after the new property management company took over everything changed for the better. They were correct. We had a clean room with new appliances, great view of the beach, fun times at the pool and the hotel employees were wonderful.

My advice is to confirm that you are booking a newly renovated room. My cousin stayed in the room next door and her experience was more mediocre. I met the owner of the condo next to ours - he was there cleaning up before the new guests came and he let me see his condo. His was even better than ours. So it pays to look at all the photos on line and then call to talk with someone.

Re: our stay in general - we had a blast. We rode our bikes to the boardwalk every morning, then hit the pool and beach for the day and had a nice dinner each night. Wildwood is great for family vacations.

One more tip: if you eat at the restaurant in the Madrid - be prepared to have a long meal. The food is GREAT - but they only have one chef so if there are multiple tables seated you will wait for your meal. Bring lots of wine and enjoy the time there!

Room Tip: Call the front desk before you book to make sure your room has been renovated.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family