“Very Disappointed - Will Never Stay There Again”

American Safari Motel
Ranked #27 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We visited Wildwood Crest last year, stayed at the Caribbean Motel and had a great time. We decided to vist the Crest again, but were a little short on funds so we checked out the other motels in the area. We decided to stay at the American Safari Motel because it seemed to be the most economical motel in the part of the Crest where we wanted to stay and the motel got good reviews on Trip Advisor. I'll start with the good things about the motel and then move on...

1. As I mentioned above, the price is good for the location.
2. We stayed in the 2 bedroom motel room and we all really liked that because we could have our own space, and there is a TV in each bedroom so there was no squabbling over what to watch at night.
3. The motel has a nice ice machine, so we always had plenty of ice.
4. The room was clean.

I will now move on to our experinces during our stay:

We decided to drive to Wildwood during the night to avoid the heavy traffic, so we arrived around 7:30 am. We knew that we could not yet check in, but we went to the office just to let the gentleman there know that we were in town, that we had driven all night, and that we would like to check in as soon as the room was available. He told us to come back around 1:00 pm. We could not park at the motel until we were actually registered, so we had to leave, find somewhere else to park and keep busy until 1:00 or so. We did just that, returned to the motel at 1:30 pm, and were informed that the room was not ready yet. We did get a tag for our vehicle so we could park at the motel, and the gentleman said that we could use the pool and patio until the room was ready. He got my cell phone number and said that he would call me. We hung around, and when he didn't call by 3:00, I went back to the office. He was wondering where I had been, and I reminded him that he had told us to use the pool and patio while we waited for his call. He then admitted that he forgot to call. Now, I had read a lot of reviewes that said that the motel staff are very gracious and bend over backwards to make sure that the guests are happy and taken care of. This is what I would have expected by "Bending over backwards": 1. Let the guests keep their car parked at the motel so they didn't have to pay to park somewhere else for hours; 2. Alert the maids when they come in that the guests for Room ___ are already in town and would like to check in as soon as possible, so please make that room cleaning a priority; 3. Make a note (other than a mental note) to call the guests to let them know that their room is ready.

When we did finally check in, I asked if there was some literautre in the room explaining the motel policies and amenities. I asked this because I had read reveiws that said that the motel offered free coffee and cookies in the morning, and I wanted to see if the gentleman would tell me about that amenity. The gentleman said that there was no such literature in the room and if I wanted to know anything, just ask. No information was volunteered about the cookies or about a laundry room or anything else that they had for the guests. All I received was one room key.

We went to use our room phone at night (my cell phone has limited service and we wanted to use our calling card), but the room phone was dead. Since it was late, we notified the gentleman the next morning and were told that someone would take care of it. We returned to the room that night and went to use the phone again, but it was still dead. There was no indication that anyone had been there to try to fix it, so we again notified the gentleman, who informed us that the problem was not with the phone, but with the phone line. The gentleman told us that we could use the office phone whenever we wanted, which we ended up doing, However, we would have to go to the office each time we wanted to use the phone (the office is located in the building next door), we could only use the phone up until the time the staff left for the night, and any personal phone calls would be heard by the staff and all the people who came into the office, so not having a working phone in our room was a real inconvenience.

There was no such thing as a hand towel in the room, only washcloths and body towels. Not a big thing, but we needed an extra towel to use as a hand towel.

Now on to the biggie - The other guests absolutely took over the motel to the point of invasion of personal space. They freely used the chairs and table in front of our room for their own use and at one point even took a chair over to their area and left it there when they were done with it. They were constantly hanging out on the balcony in front of our room, probably because our room had a nice view, but that is still no excuse, and they smoked in front of our room as well. Personally, I would never have had the nerve to do something like that, but they obviously felt differently. I used the pool once and had no desire to do so afterwards because women were jumping in the pool inches from my head without regard of possibly striking me. My son started playing with a toy that was in the pool, when another kid told him that wasn't his toy so my son quit playing with it. It was only after the crowd of people left that we realized that the toys were the property of the motel, so the toy wasn't that kid's toy either and my son had a right to play with it. At night, the party continued at the motel and the other guests were whooping it up after 12:30 am (isn't there a noise curfew in Wildwood Crest?), at once point using profanity, which should not be tolerated in a family motel. I read some reviews, one from CrestUSA, who wrote that hanging out with the other motel families was a real pleasure. Personally, we did not feel that way at all. We agreed more with the review from Suzyb61, who wrote that the motel was noisy, overcrowded, and families staying there had no respect for any of the other guests.

What I perceive from this experience is that the motel staff caters more towards the regular, returning guests, but if this is your first time visiting, the staff does not necessarily "bend over backwards" to ensure a pleasant stay. They tend to let the regular, returning guests run the motel for them. We won't be back. Next time, we will budget our funds for a return visit to the Caribbean Motel, a much classier place, and more quiet as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank pota9797

Reviewed 20 July 2012

A great traditional family-style gem in the Crest. We have used Trip Advisor the last several years and it has worked very well in identifying good/bad places to stay. This year we went with the American Safari...which was the highest rated motel we have ever stayed at...and the American Safari proved it is a great place to bring the family.

Adam, the owner, is a great person to deal with. He'll make sure you are taken care of... Jerry [head of maintenance] and John [maintenance] work endlessly to ensure everything is fixed and done for the vacation. John cleaned the grills every morning and Jerry took great care of the pools. This motel is EXTREMELY clean!!! and well maintained.

Hanging out with the family's of this motel was a real pleasure...a special shout out to the "Mayor" and the "Governor" of the Safari! If you are looking for a great place with the family, the American Safari is your place! Around 11 a.m. the motel will play oldies music at the pool! The pool was fantastic and it closes at 9 p.m. which is great for the youngin's just getting off of the beach and getting ready to hit the boards...AND you get to use the pool at the Gondelier and the Aztec too because the family owns these three motels!

So plan on bring the family to the American Safari and enjoy the atmosphere and the complimentary coffee and cookies every morning!

A special thank you to the management and family of the American Safari! We'll see you next year!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank CrestUSA
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I have been going to the shore for many years. I love this hotel. It was super clean. The location was fabulous. At night when the little ones were sleeping I was able to sit outside and had a great view. I loved that we were able to use the sister hotel pool...coffee and biscotti in the morning yum!
From the ladies who locked their keys in the car! : )

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Suzanne D
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Been coming to Wildwood for years, and stayed at many different hotels, some of which are rated higher than this one on Tripadvisor. Well after staying here....I will not stay anywhere else! The service was great, the room was spotless, and the location was perfect.

We stayed in room 305, which according to the brochure slept 6. It was HUGE... and so clean! Usually in shore hotels, there's a colony of dust under the beds, a little scum behind the stove, stuff around the bathtub drains, etc.... None of that here! Room was spotless and stocked with a lot of extras that you wouldn't expect. There was dish detergent (which I've usually had to bring), a sponge (again, usually have to bring), toaster, coffee machine, silverware, popcorn maker, all kinds of stuff!

The furniture is white and clean, everything looks nice and fresh - perfect shore atmosphere! The bedspreads are not typical dirty motel bedspreads - they are cleaned daily (you can tell). They are white, and light - and the sheets were always crisp and clean. The mattresses are firm...so if you like soft, make sure and bring an egg crate or mattress topper. Pillows were awesome! Not your typical flat motel pillows.

There were 2 large windows in the living room and kitchen areas, as well as a large window in the bedroom (all had privacy blinds that you could shut -- which were, again, spotless!). There were also 2 smaller privacy windows in the bedroom and the bathroom.

They have DirectTV in the rooms - which at first we didn't get many channels, but once we said something got fixed right away and we had a ton of channels, including HBO. There is also free wi-fi, which I didn't use - but I know someone in an earlier review said that you had to pay for it.

The bathrooms were also very clean! No scum around the drains or showerhead. No mold or stains on the shower curtain or floor. This place is impeccably clean!

They also have little tables and chairs in front of the rooms, and there is a deck with bigger, nice tables for people to hang out and play games -- and has a view of the ocean! We could see the ocean from our third floor window.

The only thing that people should know is that there is no elevator at this hotel. So if you have a tough time with stairs, then I'd recommend a first floor room, you get quite a workout with the stairs - especially on packing and unpacking day! :) But this is not the only hotel that doesn't have stairs, so this is not a big deal at all to me.

The pool looked clean, the area around the pool was nicely decorated, and the chairs/furniture around the pool were nice and new. There were also 2 Weber Grills by the pool which looked in really good condition.

A nice touch is the coffee and cookies out each morning, and there is also a bunch of neatly displayed informational brochures by the coffee and cookies. The office is nice and welcoming, with granite countertops, and Adamo is very welcoming, very organized and accommodating!

This hotel is located across the street from the ocean, and two blocks from the boardwalk. The area was not crazy at all. The part of the WW Crest beach that this hotel is located by is on the longer side, but they have a boardwalk that extends for most of it. There are also port a potties located on the beach in this section in case you don't feel like walking back to the hotel or convention center. I never used those as my friend and I preferred to take a walk on the beach down to the convention center. The boardwalk was a quick 2 block walk away, which is great b/c you save on the daily parking fees. There is an ice cream place across the street, a delicious mexican place around the block to the back, and across the street is a Duffinetti's restaurant (which is supposed to be really good). There is also a convenience store/deli/cafe 2 blocks away, and this is a short drive from Wawa, Acme, CVS, Walgreens and many other stores. Also located 2 blocks from Green's (I think) Bikes. VERY convenient location in my opinion.

You have access to the Gondolier, Aztek, and American Safari pools (same owners for all 3 hotels), and they do have parties for all 3 hotels. I will review the party in a coming review.

We cancelled our reservations at another hotel that we had in August and decided to come back to The American Safari for Labor Day weekend. They are having a party for all their hotels with music, food, wine, etc.... sounded fun!

And next year, we will be returning to The American Safari!

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool could potentially be noisy. Rooms on the third floor not recommended for those who...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank cattdogg
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We just returned from the American Safari!!! We had a great time. Pleasantly surprised. The motel is very close to the beach and boardwalk. My husband and I had a great time. The
motel is super clean.It does cater to families. The rooms were lovely and definitely redone recently. We had great weather!!!! Bring your sunscreen. The other guests were lovely!!! We have traveled all over the world and loved this place!! Bring an umbrella for the beach, no shade anywhere!!!Bring food, we had an efficency! We had a coffee maker, stove refrig, etc.
Super clean!!!! The owners are very nice! You will be very close to Cape May! Great place for dining. Stay away from the boardwalk for meals. Go to Lucky Bones, YB in Cape may for lovely dining! The pool was nice but small. Rmember you are not in the Caribbean at a 5 star, but you will have a great time. Beach is super clean and warm... Cannot wait to go back. Please drive to Cape May and visit the lighthouse and shops. Stay away from the Lobster House for dining, too commercial, massive, and loud! We should of taken the advice of the owner of American Safariu!! Go and Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Christine L
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Amazing time at the American Safari! First time staying at the Safari and not sure what to expect and we were mega surprised how great it was, extra clean rooms, wonderful staff, and a great location and price. We're already thinking about coming back next month in August. Love the small touches, classis music at the pools, free coffee and cookies in the mornings and use of two pools the American Safari and the Aztec. Will definitely be back soon!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Georgiana C
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We cannot say enough about this wonderful place! This was our family's 5th year coming to Wildwood and staying at the Safari with the kids and we are already booked for next year. Mr. Adam, the staff, the other guests couldn't be more accomadating and friendly. The rooms are big, and the A/C is always working. The pool is great, always clean and with beautiful hanging baskets of flowers all around. The location to the beach and the boardwalk works very well for us. Fun, relaxing, clean, affordable, can't beat it - The Warner family.

Room Tip: We always book the apartment suite. It has a kitchen, dining table, full-sized refriderator, microw...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family