“Great end to another season at the American Safari Motel in Wildwoodcrest NJ”

American Safari Motel
Ranked #28 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

Once again my family had a great end of the season staying at the AMERICAN Safari Motel in wildwood crest nj. We went down for not only to enjoy the 50's weekend but to close out our summer at our favorite place to stay. The owners threw a great end of the season party with food,drinks and great music. They always make sure the guests have an enjoyable and welcoming stay. We have already book our stay for memorial day weekend and our August week but I can guarantee you we will be calling to stay 2 to 3 additional times in between. Thanks for a great summer.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Wonderful place to stay!!! This was our 6th summer staying at the Safari and we couldn't be happier. It is clean, convenient and the staff is great. You are across the street from the beach and an ice cream store. You can rent bikes 2 blocks away and the boardwalk is 3 blocks away. There are 2 great restaurants (Italian and Mexican) within a few blocks. Stone Harbor and Cape May are both 30 minutes away and well worth a day trip. Best of all you are out of the hustle and bustle of the main drag yet close enough if you want the boardwalk. My family vacationed across the street when I was little and we have found that not much has changed in the 25 years since we were last there and we will continue to go back every summer and always stay at the American Safari. Mr. Adam and his family have been wonderful and I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Wendy W
Reviewed 31 August 2012

we went here after reading an average reviews from trip advisor and after looking online, the price is reasonable (i wanted to go initially to days inn). the only difference they have is that they don't offer complimentary breakfast, only coffee and cookies. Nevertheless, there's places to eat around (McDonalds, diners, and some cafe shops along the boardwalk). And speaking of boardwalk, it's close to the motel and if u hate starting off by walking the long stretch of the boardwalk, a tram is available for a $2.50 fare each way, or you could rent bikes also.

Going back to the motel, here are some items for comments

PARKING - it's free, and in most motels around, it's narrow. it's good i have a minivan and didn't have to worry about kids swinging the door abruptly and hitting the other car next to us. upon checking in, you'll be given a permit to park that u have to display by hanging in your front mirror. and again, be careful where to park especially at the back of the motel coz luckily, no dent appeared in my back bumper when another car "kissed" it when he was backing up. if he's a professional driver, he'll be aware how much space he has in backing up! and upon checking out, they allow you to park your car there still if you wanna go back to the beach/boardwalk

ROOM - upon entering the room, it smelled like people who came from the ocean. the staff could have sprayed something (febreeze). but later on, the smell disappears. the beds were neat, they have a microwave, refrigerator and my kids were laughingly joking that the television was on top of the refrigerator! airconditioning was good. going back to the TV, the remote control wasn't working, maybe it needed batteries. i tried to call the desk with their phone inside the room and the phone wasn't working. though i didn't come there to watch tv so the remote was not a problem and it's good i dont have any real emergency that i don't have to worry about a non-working phone (they still need to check on that though). and our room location was on the first floor and was worried that we might not get a quiet sleep since the pool is just across from us but the pool is good only until 9pm which is good. and we're lucky that no people loitered in front of our room. though in as much i wanted an ocean view (you have be to on the 3rd floor), we got the convenience of not climbing up the steps everytime we leave and get back to our rooms especially we have kids with us.

BATHROOM - was neat, enough towels, they have soaps and bathroom cups available. if you need more towels, the cleaning lady comes the next day to provide new towels too (unless u don't want to the lady to come in to your room when you're outside, you might wanna tell the desk coz they don't have that door sign, "don't disturb").

POOL - was clean also, small but it depends on how many people uses it. anyway, u can also access the pool at aztec where the office is and is more ideal for kids because in american safari, the pool gets 7 feet deep.

the popular question is, should we go back here again? i like trying other places but if the rates are still higher in other places, i have no reason not to come back here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank snoopy N Y
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I still can't believe how clean and spotless the room at American Safari Motel in Wildwood Crest, NJ, was. There was no mold or mildew in the bathroom and everything had been freshly painted for the season (I'm sure). We were there at the end of summer and everything still looked clean and fresh. I had friends in the Gondolier Motel and their room was similar - spotless. We were 1 block from the ocean.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean - you can't lose!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2012

So after 3 months of online looking, I went with the American Safari. first of all it's the cleanest room i have stayed at in my 5 years of Wildwood NJ. The room isb't that big, but really you are only sleeping there . The bathroom was small but overall the place was nice. Free coffee in the Am amd the pool was cleaned every morning !

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I disagree with your statements about the hotel staff. I have been staying at this motel for now my 24th season. Not only are they accommodating, but always going out of their way to make sure if there is a problem, they fix it. If you took notice, check in time for all hotels is 3:00 pm. I also was at one of their hotels that weekend. Did you take notice to the amount of checkouts they had. My guess is if you arrived as early as you stated, you would have. I am sure you found no problem with the spread of food and drinks they provided for all of the guests with entertanment,I might add that they go out of their way to say thanks to the guests and was free. I will end by saying that myself, husband, and son visit the safari several times a season and I might add that they treat all guests new or returning equally. I would recommend this hotel and all of the ones they own to anyone who asks. Thank you to the pipitones for being wonderful hostess to not only my family but I'm sure all of the families new and old.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank agitator1
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We visited Wildwood Crest last year, stayed at the Caribbean Motel and had a great time. We decided to vist the Crest again, but were a little short on funds so we checked out the other motels in the area. We decided to stay at the American Safari Motel because it seemed to be the most economical motel in the part of the Crest where we wanted to stay and the motel got good reviews on Trip Advisor. I'll start with the good things about the motel and then move on...

1. As I mentioned above, the price is good for the location.
2. We stayed in the 2 bedroom motel room and we all really liked that because we could have our own space, and there is a TV in each bedroom so there was no squabbling over what to watch at night.
3. The motel has a nice ice machine, so we always had plenty of ice.
4. The room was clean.

I will now move on to our experinces during our stay:

We decided to drive to Wildwood during the night to avoid the heavy traffic, so we arrived around 7:30 am. We knew that we could not yet check in, but we went to the office just to let the gentleman there know that we were in town, that we had driven all night, and that we would like to check in as soon as the room was available. He told us to come back around 1:00 pm. We could not park at the motel until we were actually registered, so we had to leave, find somewhere else to park and keep busy until 1:00 or so. We did just that, returned to the motel at 1:30 pm, and were informed that the room was not ready yet. We did get a tag for our vehicle so we could park at the motel, and the gentleman said that we could use the pool and patio until the room was ready. He got my cell phone number and said that he would call me. We hung around, and when he didn't call by 3:00, I went back to the office. He was wondering where I had been, and I reminded him that he had told us to use the pool and patio while we waited for his call. He then admitted that he forgot to call. Now, I had read a lot of reviewes that said that the motel staff are very gracious and bend over backwards to make sure that the guests are happy and taken care of. This is what I would have expected by "Bending over backwards": 1. Let the guests keep their car parked at the motel so they didn't have to pay to park somewhere else for hours; 2. Alert the maids when they come in that the guests for Room ___ are already in town and would like to check in as soon as possible, so please make that room cleaning a priority; 3. Make a note (other than a mental note) to call the guests to let them know that their room is ready.

When we did finally check in, I asked if there was some literautre in the room explaining the motel policies and amenities. I asked this because I had read reveiws that said that the motel offered free coffee and cookies in the morning, and I wanted to see if the gentleman would tell me about that amenity. The gentleman said that there was no such literature in the room and if I wanted to know anything, just ask. No information was volunteered about the cookies or about a laundry room or anything else that they had for the guests. All I received was one room key.

We went to use our room phone at night (my cell phone has limited service and we wanted to use our calling card), but the room phone was dead. Since it was late, we notified the gentleman the next morning and were told that someone would take care of it. We returned to the room that night and went to use the phone again, but it was still dead. There was no indication that anyone had been there to try to fix it, so we again notified the gentleman, who informed us that the problem was not with the phone, but with the phone line. The gentleman told us that we could use the office phone whenever we wanted, which we ended up doing, However, we would have to go to the office each time we wanted to use the phone (the office is located in the building next door), we could only use the phone up until the time the staff left for the night, and any personal phone calls would be heard by the staff and all the people who came into the office, so not having a working phone in our room was a real inconvenience.

There was no such thing as a hand towel in the room, only washcloths and body towels. Not a big thing, but we needed an extra towel to use as a hand towel.

Now on to the biggie - The other guests absolutely took over the motel to the point of invasion of personal space. They freely used the chairs and table in front of our room for their own use and at one point even took a chair over to their area and left it there when they were done with it. They were constantly hanging out on the balcony in front of our room, probably because our room had a nice view, but that is still no excuse, and they smoked in front of our room as well. Personally, I would never have had the nerve to do something like that, but they obviously felt differently. I used the pool once and had no desire to do so afterwards because women were jumping in the pool inches from my head without regard of possibly striking me. My son started playing with a toy that was in the pool, when another kid told him that wasn't his toy so my son quit playing with it. It was only after the crowd of people left that we realized that the toys were the property of the motel, so the toy wasn't that kid's toy either and my son had a right to play with it. At night, the party continued at the motel and the other guests were whooping it up after 12:30 am (isn't there a noise curfew in Wildwood Crest?), at once point using profanity, which should not be tolerated in a family motel. I read some reviews, one from CrestUSA, who wrote that hanging out with the other motel families was a real pleasure. Personally, we did not feel that way at all. We agreed more with the review from Suzyb61, who wrote that the motel was noisy, overcrowded, and families staying there had no respect for any of the other guests.

What I perceive from this experience is that the motel staff caters more towards the regular, returning guests, but if this is your first time visiting, the staff does not necessarily "bend over backwards" to ensure a pleasant stay. They tend to let the regular, returning guests run the motel for them. We won't be back. Next time, we will budget our funds for a return visit to the Caribbean Motel, a much classier place, and more quiet as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family