“American Safari”

Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
New York City, New York
“American Safari”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We really can't say much we basically just slept there. Overall the room was clean, a/c worked well, not happy about not being able to connect my kindle via wifi. Swimming pool is really small, it seemed like everyone knew each other or were related, so we felt like the odd balls.
Other than the above I must say it's location is good... one block from boardwalk/beach. Not bad for the price, staff were pleasant.

Room Tip: My room was located by the laundry room/courtesy bathroom... gets lots of traffic... that's room...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vin W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Westchester, New York, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

My husband and I just returned from an extended weekend stay at this bright and clean resort motel. We had the bridal suite room, which is located on the third floor with a nice view of the beach and ocean (1 block away). The room was newly renovated and was such a refreshing change from the normally tacky Wildwood motel decor. A great king bed, wood floors, tiled kitchenette and bath and white wicker table and chairs and ceiling fan felt so wonderfully summery. Outdoors I love the yellow and white color scheme. The pool is not large but very clean. The guests seem friendly. Lots of families but no screaming kids when we were there. It's a short walk to the boardwalk or the water. The parking spaces are very tight. We got a good end spot and were reluctant to take our car anywhere for fear we'd lose it. The parking lines were obviously laid out back in the days before the Giant SUVs took over.

Room Tip: Room 300 is the bridal suite with the good view. Did not see any of the other rooms so have no idea...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mari M
Oxford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

M y husband and I just returned from a vacation. This motel is super clean, spacious, and affordable. It is located just 2 blocks from the beach and boardwalk. The owners are very lovely. They gave us suggestions on where to eat! They were right! Schellengers's in Wildwood was fantastic! The pool is a tad small. But we enjoy the ocean ! Remember, once you reach the beach, the ocean is a long walk away! The other guest are friendly, not loud, and very pleasant! Family oriented! Go and enjoy. See you again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christine L
Maspeth, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

I do not normally review anything but I relied on reviews to book my trip so I will write my review.

Ease of Booking- I originally called to book the Gondolier but the price was a little more then what I wanted to spend so they suggested I book the American Safari which is owned by the same people. After reviewing the reviews I decided to give it a go. The person on the phone was very friendly and I was booked within 5 minutes with a one day deposit
Room- I booked the basic motel room and that was just what it was. I was not expecting any more or any less. There was a large fridge, a table and chairs, a dresser, two beds and a nightstand. Don't forget an open closet and a medium sized bathroom. It was nice to have the shared balcony to hang the bathing suits and towels to dry.

Location to Beach- I looked off my balcony and could see the beach! The beach is a block away from the motel! A great location if you want to go to the beach! Don't forget once you actually get to the beach it's a long walk to the water!

Location to the Boardwalk- The motel is 2 short blocks to the boardwalk! Amazing! I thought it would be a longer walk but we were so close. It did not even take us 5 minutes to walk there! Amazing!

Pool- The pool was heated and nicely maintained! There were enough seats for everyone and we were able to use one of the two bbq's there. Also, you can use the pools at the Aztec or the Gondolier if you want to. If you happen to have weird people you want to stay away from at your motel this is helpful. We went to the Gondolier's pool one day because it had a kiddie pool for our 2 year old daughter and the American Safari did not. Oh the Aztec is right behind the American Safari and the Gondolier is across the street so it is not a far walk or anything. As a side note...bring beer cans not bottles as glass is not allowed by the pool.

Management and maintenance were great and we were so relaxed the whole time! Very satisfied!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JLF1982
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

I am not normally the type to post reviews. However, after the blatant slander that I have been reading about the American Safari, I feel that I have to. The first time that my husband and I stayed here was the Summer of 2011. My husband had fallen off of a roof and broken both (yes both) of his heels and was in casts up to his knees. We desperately needed to get out of the house and chose the American Safari after calling all over Wildwood looking for a place that could accommodate a wheelchair. Adam moved mountains to get us into a first floor room over at the Aztec that had easy access to the office, the parking lot and the ice machine. He even offered to help me unpack the car upon arrival since obviously my husband with the two broken feet couldn’t do it. The rooms are clean and tidy, the staff from the office people down to the maintenance crew is kind and gracious. They say hello to you every time they see you! They even take the time to learn your name No, this is not the Ritz. You won’t find that in any shore town in New Jersey. It’s a simple, clean, family run motel that is a block from the beach and close to the boardwalk.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Kate H
Bloomfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

ive been staying at the safari since i was a baby,,,,way before adamo owned it!! i love the safari it is very close to the boardwalk and the beach. around the holiday weekends the safari along with the gondolier throw very nice parties for their guests. the rooms are so much better since they took up the rugs and now have hardwood floors. the workers and maids are very nice as well as adamo and adam. the rooms are very clean! the only thing i would love to see different is the pool are kept a little cleaner...the chairs are light yellow so sometimes they can get a little dirty looking..also the sides of the pool are often alittle dirty...but besides those 2 minor things i love the safari and the gondolier. adam and his dad as well as the staff are great!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 509jackiem509
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

To start off the owners would never ask a guest who has reservations to leave the area when they arrive an hour early or even 5 hours early as we do every year. Second each unit is allowed only one vehicle to park and that is at all motels. Third at the time of your sons arrival, was the room even ready for check in and you neglected to mention in your review if you arrived at the check in time, which I might add is 3pm. You also mention yourself that your son can be arrogant at times. Did he disrespect the owner. Wouldn't know that would you cause you yourself said you didn't arrive til an hour later. As far as you getting sick and the phone not working in room, if you were that ill, you should have called 911 just like anyone would do in an emergency. Next time make sure your cell phone is always charged. I do. Don't make it sound like it was the owners fault about your illness. Sounds to me the only person with the attitude was you. The owners of not only the american safari but several of the motels in the area are friendly, professsional and have a great relationship with many if not 95% of their guests. No one is perfect. I say jolly oh to you and pip pip. I am returning to this establishment for my 24th year and can't wait for memorial day weekend to see my dear friends who we have met and also return every year to this fine and friendly motel.

• Stayed August 2012