“Had a great time”

Ranked #63 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Morgantown
“Had a great time”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Stayed for about a week beginning of August 2012.The room had been updated,was clean an afforded us an ocean view.We were right on the beach,and unlike Wildwood,the walk to the ocean was not a problem.The price was very reasonable for a place right on the beach.Daily maid service was available if needed and the 1 maid in particular was very friendly.The 2 double beds were very comfortable,the frig.worked very well and the toilet and shower worked just as well.Also wifi was included and used it to make plans.Used the heated pool and grilled up some steaks.Fair warning,don't turn your back or walk away from the grill,because the seagulls are ready to steal any food they can.Also,the air conditioner worked very well.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve536

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Pittsburgh PA
Reviewed 12 August 2012

This is our second stay at the Apollo Resort Motel in Wildwood crest, our third trip. I read the other reviews and can only say that everyone is going to have different expectations thus different opinions. Location is excellent. Sitting on my laptop looking at the beach as I type this...
It is only minutes away from Rio Grande where there is a Walmart, dollar store, etc. There are many restaurants very close. The boardwalk is a short drive away. Parking is only $10 a day there. Lots of great shows come to the convention center there - we saw the Harlem Globetrotters during this stay.

So going point by point -
Parking - I have yet to NOT find a place to park. It is tight but if you look at every place down here, including pay lots at the busy areas, it is that way everywhere. Several people blocked the two deep spots and there is still ample parking this week.

Staff - the cleaning staff was very nice. I cleaned my own room and they still went in and emptied the garbage, cleaned bathroom and replaced towels. We are only here three nights and I know of very few places that do daily maid service.
The front desk guys are not warm and fuzzy. The are helpful when asked just no real personality is shared if there is any. They were not mean or gruff, just quiet.

Rooms - the rooms are adequate and for the most part clean. If I were running a place I would do a once over every few months to get the nooks and crannies but that is me. The pull out bed is not comfortable but very few are. The double beds are firm like most hotel beds. I am here with three teenagers and we are doing ok - but then again three teeanagers at the Ritz would be the same fights over hair stuff and beds. The kitchen was ok - the stove uses matches to light. The knobs are old and kind of scary but worked just fine. The kitchen was equipped enough to feed a family - mismatched flatware (bent up and cheap stuff in there too) - not enough plates to feed a family of four - no bowls at all. Luckily I had taken a skillet from home as well as paper towels, styrofoam plates and bowls and some plastic wear.

There are plenty of tables and chairs outside so you can eat outside easily or just sit around. On the first floor we were able to sit at the umbrella table right outside our room for meals and reading. There are several gas grills for use that we saw many patrons using. One family had a huge cook out making all kinds of stuff.

Bathroom - the water was slow to go down in the tub but the water pressure was really good and the shower gave a nice full stream. I hate when the shower head drips out water and it takes forever to shower. The sink leaked. The fixtures were old but clean. The toliet flushed and never backed up (really more important to us on vaca).

The beach is beautiful here in the crest. We have been all over to beaches. Cape may is nice too but who wants to pay for the beach daily?
The drive to Cape May is not long and worth a small trip to see it. And then look up the prices there...

Also this place has been packed every time we come here. THe rooms are packed. Families come here and get several rooms. I am amazed at the amount of people staying in one room sometimes.

Overall this is a clean secure place for a family to stay. Set your expectations accordingly and enjoy the stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you stipulate how many and what size beds you are getting for how many people. THey will t...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sewnmom
Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

This was our second stay. It is what it is... We booked last minute and in that context it was great.... NO FRILLS... Right on beach... Kid friendly... No wifi no matter what they say... Rooms not so clean... Everything circa 1980... But if you came for the beach and don't want to spend a ton on hotel... It's fine... family run... You can leave your room door open without worry... Surrounded by decent hotels... No riff raff... We would go back... And probably will...

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank ProfNCP
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Our 2nd stay at this hotel, On the plus side: Well located in the Crest, good pricing, clean, on the beach, heated pool, BBQ patio...On the negative side: Double beds were rock hard ** (we had forgotten from a few years ago) and Air conditioning was very noisy!! ** Notice to management: Time to look into this if you want return clients!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view and only a few oceanfront.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Kearny, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2012

my family and i stayed at the apollo july 16 -21st. we had a oceanfront room i was alittle worried after reading all the bad reviews but we enjoyed our stay its a classic jersey shore motel it looks like everyother motel we stayed at in wildwood, its clean and the veiw of the ocean is wonderful and i found the staff helpful . there are no bugs my room did not smell like mold . the only thing i didnt lke was the pull out couch it was very uncomfortable and sunkin in like all the other pullout couches i ever slept on . the pool is a bit small but your on the ocean i would stay here again also the parking is not as bad as some other people mentioned there is plenty of ample parking .we look forward to next summer at the apollo.

the brand family ps my kids loved it!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank dana b
Exton, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My 11 yr old daughter and I came for the sun-fri package and had a great time. They tried 3 different ac units until 1 worked ok and never gave me a problem. I was nice to them they were nice to us. Housekeeping did a good job no matter how late we left the room. Some people look for reasons to be unhappy, I choose to be happy.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve R
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed 16 July 2012

First time here, and there won't be a second. The property is a bit on the rundown side--the air conditioner in our room was so noisy when the compressor kicked on that we couldn't sleep. No point complaining to the management, because he was neither friendly or accommodating.

Anthony Melchiorri from the tv show "Hotel Impossible" would have a field day at this place! Poor customer service is their specialty: the owner was sitting outside the office and we had to walk past him on the way up to our room--he didn't even acknowledge us--we're paying customers--his bread & butter--and he choose to ignore us. When I dropped off our room key at checkout (to get our $20 key deposit back) same guy, just takes the key, hands me the money...doesn't ask 'how was your stay', say 'thank you', nothing! Why would I come back to this place? He doesn't give a crap!

Room Tip: Beware Room 208 with the noisy air conditioner; however, it was good for drowning out the noisy neig...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple