The story below describes my recent experience at the Shalimar Resort. I have been going to Wildwood for over thirty years and never had such a poor report.
We called the Shalimar Resort for an A Type (Deluxe Guest Room) reservation for May 25th and 26th (2 days). The reservation was confirmed for a $95 deposit (one days room rate) and was posted to my Visa card. Sometime later I received a call from Shalimar and told that my original deposit needed to be adjusted, just “7 dollars more.”
Ok fine I thought, but later in the evening they called me again to inform me that I would now be getting a “free upgrade” to they’re “D6 – 2 room Suite.” This they assured me was “free of charge”. Beautiful, I thought.
When my wife and I arrived I was shown a bill with my name on it for over $300. I displayed my surprise and they quickly found a second bill with my name on it. Unfortunately, this was not the $95 + $7=$102 that I expected but $112 a night plus tax. I asked no less than three times why the A suite was $112 when I was told $95+ $7? I received a different explanation each time I asked. I was frustrated, and was soon being screamed by the owner, so I threw-up my hands and walked out. I had already paid in cash and had the keys in hand (total was paid in cash). In the middle of the owner’s tirade one of the reservationists did offer a refund – but I thought, where could I go on Memorial Day weekend. I was screwed.
Later that night I approached the owner to discuss that I thought the communication broke down because I was promised an A Suite and he was charging for a D6 Suite, after all that’s what the bill reported. This person simply looks up at me and declares “I kicked you out before.”
Then he repeats it two more times to which I replied – “why am I now staying in the room then?” He remained silent for a minute or so, and replies, “I’ll give you the room for $4 less a night!” To that I turned, walked out and said – “I will be reporting you to the “Greater Wildwood Hotel/Motel Association, BBB and all over the Internet.”
The actual stay wasn’t bad but the TV’s were vacuum tube types, towels were worn-out horse blankets and the amenities were non-existent. In short, I would never stay there again.
Bob from Berlin, NJ
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We invite you to come and enjoy the retro inspired style of our accommodations-from our guest rooms to our largest three-bedroom townhouse. Our recent renovations blend the classic mid-century architecture of the Wildwoods with modern conveniences, like wireless internet and a complete fitness center including steam room. At the center of the Shalimar is the spacious pool area, open late and offering sun-drenched southern exposure for you while the kids enjoy the diving board and slide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers and Booking.com so you can book your Shalimar Resort Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shalimar Hotel Wildwood Crest
- Shalimar Motel Wildwood Crest