“Shalimar Resort”

Shalimar Resort Motel
Ranked #48 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Hello,
The story below describes my recent experience at the Shalimar Resort. I have been going to Wildwood for over thirty years and never had such a poor report.
We called the Shalimar Resort for an A Type (Deluxe Guest Room) reservation for May 25th and 26th (2 days). The reservation was confirmed for a $95 deposit (one days room rate) and was posted to my Visa card. Sometime later I received a call from Shalimar and told that my original deposit needed to be adjusted, just “7 dollars more.”
Ok fine I thought, but later in the evening they called me again to inform me that I would now be getting a “free upgrade” to they’re “D6 – 2 room Suite.” This they assured me was “free of charge”. Beautiful, I thought.
When my wife and I arrived I was shown a bill with my name on it for over $300. I displayed my surprise and they quickly found a second bill with my name on it. Unfortunately, this was not the $95 + $7=$102 that I expected but $112 a night plus tax. I asked no less than three times why the A suite was $112 when I was told $95+ $7? I received a different explanation each time I asked. I was frustrated, and was soon being screamed by the owner, so I threw-up my hands and walked out. I had already paid in cash and had the keys in hand (total was paid in cash). In the middle of the owner’s tirade one of the reservationists did offer a refund – but I thought, where could I go on Memorial Day weekend. I was screwed.
Later that night I approached the owner to discuss that I thought the communication broke down because I was promised an A Suite and he was charging for a D6 Suite, after all that’s what the bill reported. This person simply looks up at me and declares “I kicked you out before.”
Then he repeats it two more times to which I replied – “why am I now staying in the room then?” He remained silent for a minute or so, and replies, “I’ll give you the room for $4 less a night!” To that I turned, walked out and said – “I will be reporting you to the “Greater Wildwood Hotel/Motel Association, BBB and all over the Internet.”
The actual stay wasn’t bad but the TV’s were vacuum tube types, towels were worn-out horse blankets and the amenities were non-existent. In short, I would never stay there again.

Bob from Berlin, NJ

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank CoolBreezeFromJC
Shalimar_Staff, Front Office Manager at Shalimar Resort Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Let me begin by stating that this customer was offered a FULL REFUND multiple times and refused the refund repeatedly. His account of what occurred is completely inaccurate and confused. This customer wanted to stay 2 nights for a holiday weekend when we have a 3 night minimum, but we offered to accommodate him for a rate that reflected the fact that he would only be staying two nights. He received a confirmation for the rate of $112 per night, agreed to the rate, was given an upgrade free of charge to a larger room, and he paid for the room in full. We agreed to charge his card a lower rate for the deposit because he claimed he did not have enough balance on the card to charge a full night. Upon check in, he was mistakenly given the wrong check-in paper work, paperwork for another customer who did have a higher balance. This was immediately corrected when the mistake was noticed. This seemed to have confused the customer. However, he checked in and paid using the correct paperwork into the correct room. Only after all of this did he choose to complain about the rate - which he was fully aware of. He made it impossible for our staff, including two different managers, to explain to him why the two night rate was more expensive than the three night rate on a holiday weekend. We tried repeatedly to calm him down and come to a solution. He was aggressive, argumentative and even admits to yelling at the staff and storming out of the office. He was offered a full refund because he was being abusive and was incapable of carrying on a conversation. He was asked to leave with a full refund because of his inappropriate behavior, and because we do not want anyone to be unhappy. The rate he paid was determined ahead of time and agreed to, both over the phone and in a written, emailed confirmation - which he agreed to receiving. We cannot respond to abusive behavior in the office demanding a change in rate for no reason after check in, and are truly sorry that this incident occurred.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our love for shalimar started 2006. Our little family of 5, then two preteens and a baby rented one room on the first floor. We had all we needed, little kitchenette, nice clean rooms, pool just steps away, and beach as well. Restaurants are plenty in the area, and we usually make our own breakfast and lunches, so I didn't miss no restaurant on premises...
Next year, we went up one floor and rented similar, room, just a little more privacy....and following year we went up to townhouse looking rooms, on last floor, which we fell in love with. Great kitchen downstairs with little nook with bunk beds for our now teenagers and little girl. That room is called T1...well after that year, we went to T2 room which is two rooms upstairs, for my teenagers and us. Downstairs is a pull out bed with kitchenette...needless to say this place captioned our hearts...everyone love it...kids liked to play mini golf, hang out in the pool...hubby and I loved the privacy time, but most importantly, our sauna time... Yes,they have sauna and fitness center❤❤❤ our balcony is great... Sea looking view...but the best room is T3 which we had one year, very short, but unforgettable!!!!
And yes, Cape May is 10 minutes drive and that was our main destination...Did I say the beach is right there...steps away?
We usually go for Memorial Day weekend with extension of Tuesday which we always get for discount price. You will have to book that time like year in advance, they are always booked, since people are coming back annually.
My only downside is the noise from nearby hotel, which is not even comparing to shalimars guests or rating...at night people party and make noises on shared balconies.
Our rooms were always clean, immaculate, personal is great and friendly...it's family based hotel and really kept well...Maria was always helpful as the rest of the stuff as well.
If yu can get a room there, don't miss this Jersey shore jewel!
Miss you guys.... Best wishes from Bakers!

Room Tip: If you want more privacy, less noise, pick room on top floor!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2014

2013 we stayed for 2 nights, 3 days and had a fabulous time. We will be returning this summer as well. Very clean & updated compared to the neighboring hotels. Super close walk to the beach & places to eat. If it had a place to eat would be every better!

Room Tip: room with kitchenette was perfect size for a family of 5 liked the top floor with balcony or first f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim P
Reviewed 13 November 2013

One block from the most beautiful beach in South Jersey! Access to a pathway approx 1/2 mile long that takes you right to the boardwalk. Walking distance to breakfast, lunch and dinner. Can't say enough close to everything but yet not in the mix of the noise. Entertainment across the street on the green. PERFECT LOCATION. Great rooms, clean and roomy, beautiful pool and grounds. Easy check in and out. Very very friendly and helpful with all our needs..Priced right for location.

Room Tip: Hotel faces south and the pool gets sun all day long.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank momasitta
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed at the Shalimar for six days to celebrate a birthday and an end of the summer get-a-way. The location is close to the beach, close to restaurants. Tatiana was our housekeeper. Our room was cleaned immaculately. I am a bit of a germ a phobe and had nothing to be concerned with since Tatiana was so conscientious, friendly, exceptional in her job. Beds were comfortable. Air conditioning took a bit to get used in creating the "right temperature". We are looking forward to returning again next year.

Room Tip: Request fourth floor with private balconies
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank restandrelaxaton
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I had high hopes after reading all the great reviews, but I was left wanting. While the motel was updated compared to other wildwood accomodations, it was hardly comfortable. first the room we were in was mostly tile floors. I felt like I was staying in a bathroom most of our stay. the beds were in desperate need of replacement. they were very cheap. there was not much soundproofing. You could hear every step outside the door and on the stairs. The pool was nice looking, but we could not enjoy it. I think there was a family of like 30 renting out the majority of the first floor. they seemed to take over the pool every day all day. You just felt like you were intruding on "their" party. the room was VERY plain. no pictures, no decorations of any kind. It felt like a concrete box. I will probably not return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank beachluver73
Shalimar_Staff, Front Office Manager at Shalimar Resort Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

We are very sorry that your stay did not go as you would have liked. Most of our units are completely carpeted, however, the kitchen/living room area of our first floor efficiencies are tiled due to the fact that those customers tend to go back and forth from the pool to their rooms very frequently. The tile allows us to keep the rooms as clean as possible and prevents the rooms from becoming too damp. It also sounds like you were in a room by our BBQ area and steps - while many people like the convenience of this location, we have locations that are quieter and are happy to place customers in the locations that they prefer whenever possible. We replace our beds very frequently and are constantly making updates to the equipment in the rooms.

Is season we often have groups of customers who come back year after year and book from the year before. We enjoy welcoming customers back every year and find this to be a testament to how happy they are here because they keep coming back. But we are also ready and willing to advocate for any of our customers if something is happening that they are unhappy about - all they have to do is let us know.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I've stayed at so many hotels in Wildwood over the years. Many of them, like the Lollipop and the Carideon started out as clean inexpensive rentals, but Wildwood in general over the years has truly been on the decline. We got tired of working all year, anticipating a great vacation only to spend a week in one of North WW dumps. Eventually, we stopped doing hotels and motels and tried condo rentals. Although they were much cleaner, in the long run they were much more expensive, and in some cases were advertised as condos but were in fact simply motels converted to so-called condos. The Shalimar was great. For one, the clientele appeared to be working class people, all of whom were very friendly. The rooms are very clean, and it's location is close to supermarkets, parks, and restaurants. The staff is ABSOLUTELY wonderful. Elaine, Christina, and Brittany will bend over backwards to make sure your every need is met. They truly are the best hotel staff I have ever encountered. The pool is clean, and stays open late. The only cons we had was the motels proximity to the boardwalk (we had to drive every night), also you have to pay to use the gym, and finally there's no free coffee in the lobby which for working class people "GOOD COFFEE is a must. I don't mind putting on a pot on each morning, but on vacation (even in dumps), coffee is usually free. Those minor issues aside,(and I do mean minor) we really enjoyed our stay, and would highly recommend "The Shalimar" to anyone looking for a clean, quite, vacation. We hope to visit again next Summer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family