“Right by the Ocean”

Ranked #1 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
new jersey
“Right by the Ocean”
Reviewed 17 July 2009

We took a family vacation with eight family members, including two toddlers. We all enjoyed our stay, though the weather was horrible our week there. My family had the room with two queens beds....it was very clean and spacious. My parents rented the room with a kitchen, where we'd all be having our meals. This room was great as well. It was the room we all hung out in. The kitchen met our needs. We did pack all our own pots, pans, utenils, etc. However, my brother and his family had the most expensive room...the ocean front room with a balcony over looking the ocean. We were all excited about this room, but this room was dark, dingy, musty smelling and quite spooky. My sister in law couldn't sleep because she said the room creeped her out. It was an awful, awful dark, dreadful room. Surprising being that it was the most expensive one and the coveted ocean front. We were happier in our much more affordable room. We will not stay here again because we usually travel with our extended family and they won't stay here any longer.

Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank mommiebear

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
NJ
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Good points:
*Fabulous view of the ocean & adjoining park. I'll post photos later. Truly a world-class view.
*No noise from other units (no sounds from other units at all)
*Excellent firm quality mattress. Definitely a newer mattress.
*No musty smells.
*Tall vans fit in their parking lot
*Clean large pool (with the chemicals adjusted appropriately - not harshly overchorlinated) with non-slip bottom & shallow area for toddlers
*Aged but decently clean building. Some dark & fuzzy mold in bedroom window tracts. *A/C worked fine.
*Nice decently new furniture - very kid safe & practical.
*Thicker, softer towels than you usually find in a motel.
*Housekeepers were nice people.

Downsides:
*The free Wi-Fi is a residential strength signal that was woefully overloaded. As soon as you get on, you get dropped. I basically got 2 minutes of signal every couple of hours. They desperately need to upgrade. They shouldn't even advertise themselves as having it because they don't have enough signal to go around. Not having enough Wi-Fi to go around, to me, is like only having enough sheets for the lucky first 5 guests. I needed the Wi-Fi to get work done while my family vacationed, and I couldn't work while my kid napped, so that was a big downside to me. They admitted to me it doesn't seem to work well. I could tell that the Cara-Mara, next door, had better Wi-Fi strength but was password protected. So if you need to work on vacation, I recommend the Cara Mara.
*There was no kitchenware provided that could go in the oven. There were pots & pans for the stove top, but they had plastic handles and weren't oven safe. We particularly chose this place because of the oven, so that we could cook for our food-allergy kids. (By the way, the Cara-Mara Motel that I mentioned above lacks real ovens.) There's also no convenient place nearby to buy any oven-ware, even disposables. The bottom rack of the oven would not slide out.
*There is a sign over the sink saying "housekeeping does not wash guest dishes." I'm fine with that, but apparently the last guests weren't, as the serving bowls & silverware were all put away nasty dirty. No dishwasher, so it had to all be washed by hand before we could use it.
*We would have appreciated more kitchenware in general; luncheon size plates, bigger glasses (all it came with was 6 oz size glasses), anything that could go in an oven.
* Coffeemaker leaked. The hotel serves complementary coffee in their lobby in the morning, but if you need decaf and want to make your own . . . also you need to bring your own coffee filters.
*The unit comes with dishsoap, but it's dollar store stuff that is 99% water and doesn’t really clean anything.
*Be aware that the toilet paper they stock is just a short step above tree bark. It makes Scott's toilet paper look glamorous.
*The bathroom & kitchen fans don't work too well.
*There were gang members staying there. (I know, there's nothing the hotel can do about this, gang members go on vacation too.) They didn't bother us. We just didn't like sharing the pool with them while they made out in the pool with their girlfriends. The hotels' policy of stating its price as a "cash only" price and putting a surcharge for credit probably draws vacationers who get paid in cash transactions.
* Most of the rooms (like ours) face the park, which is a pretty park. They had concerts there both nights. They were loud, but both concerts ended by 10 pm-ish, so kids could still sleep, especially if you run the a/c to cover the noise. The bedrooms are in the back, so they're quieter anyway. My little kid slept fine despite the concert, but if you want absolute quiet, I don't think anywhere in this section of Wildwood Crest would be for you.
*Desk staff attitude was brusque & cold. They didn't ask how anything was. Clearly they're not interested in improving the hotel or fixing or replacing anything that doesn't work.

Still, for a family beach vacation, it's a decent place at a decent price. Bring your bikes and ride to the Boardwalk attractions to the north. And bring all the food you'll need if you're planning on cooking, or leave time to drive to the big Acme supermarket up in Wildwood. There's no convenience stores within walking or biking distance of this hotel (or most hotels in Wildwood Crest).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank SmileyBuyer
Long island, NY
Reviewed 3 July 2009

This was our family's first time to Wildwood Crest so we had no idea what to expect. The Armada is located in a perfect quite area on the oceanfront. There is a park right across the street so if you feel like having a catch you can. Our oceanfront room was reasonably priced and very well maintained. The pool is a nice size and I liked the fact that there was a kiddie section which my child enjoyed. It is a place that we will be visiting again!!!!! If you are considering a visit to the Crest, you may want to consider this as your place to stay. Our view from our balcony was absolutely breathtaking. What a wonderful trip!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Mamakins
NJ
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Great location, nice pool, average, nothing special rooms. 300 a night before tax makes a week long vacation in Wildwood over 2100 before food and entertainment. A trip to Mexico with airfare all-inclusive is half that price and Disney World for 3 people is 2200 with meal plan and park passes. Is the place clean and a great location? yes. Is it overpriced? Without a doubt. Im curious to see if the hotel is sold out mid-season this year since the recession.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
Philly, PA
Reviewed 15 June 2009

My family has been coming here since the 1980's. Great motel, friendly staff, clean, quiet motel, great for a family stay. Yes they have updated their motel to today's standards (TVs with built-in DVD players, new lights outside, remodeled front lobby, new chairs near the pool, new elevator, newly recarpeted sundeck with all new chairs, new shaded area on the sundeck, etc). All right across the street from the beach! They don't have their waterslide or diving board anymore, but their pool is huge and heated, feels like bathwater when you step in! About a 10 minute drive to the Boardwalk, which is great. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
PA
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Stayed 2 nights, June 5 and 6, 2009.
This was our first stay at the Armada. Our past stays have been at a couple of other beach front hotels in the Crest area. I must say the Armada by the Sea was a very pleasant surprise. This facility is exceptionally clean and in excellent shape. It is most definately the cleanest hotel we have stayed in at Wildwood Crest. The other hotels in this area should take instruction from this facility on cleanliness and upkeep.
The staff was pleasant and helpful. This will be the only place we stay at on all future trips to Wildwood Crest. I would highly recommend the Armada By the Sea for anyone vacationing in Wildwood Crest.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Philadelphia
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Once again we traveled to Wildwood: this time to celebrate my birthday and my boyfriend's and my graduation from college. Our stay was incredible. Preveiously we have stayed in the Motel room, but this time we upgraded to the VIP motel room and it was BEAUTIFUL! The room had an ocean view and it was so wonderful to wake up to that every day. The staff are so friendly and I am always delighted to see the people at the front desk, they are so kind. We will definitely be back for another mini vaca during the summer!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
#7 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
#5 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Armada By-the-Sea? Share your experiences!