“Great classic motel, good people, with awesome cafe on premises.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tangiers Resort Motel

Tangiers Resort Motel
Ranked #58 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Sparks, Md
“Great classic motel, good people, with awesome cafe on premises.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

This Tangiers is in the northern part of the Crest, only a few blocks from the southern end of the boardwalk.
I first met the owners at a car show in Timonium, Md a few years ago and decided to stay there for a weekend. It is an older motel, so don't expect state of the art bathrooms and fixtures. But that's not a bad thing. It's kind of retro, the way motel rooms were back in the day, which is cool. It's kept clean and the owners are friendly, nice people.

I got to know the people at the attached "Doo Wop Coffee Shop". Oldies playing, 50s and some 60s memorabilia on the walls, great food and service, and immaculately clean. (they won best breakfast on the island!) Whenever I'm down I usually have breakfast there 1 of the mornings, and am planning on staying in this motel again soon.

As for the post about being "on surveillance" and the one about getting grief on checking out late, I can't say anything about that as I haven't experienced either one. It's all been pleasant for me.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Motelandrestaurant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

I was over at tangiers this weekend,the price was fair and the room nothing special. The reason why I gave the one star was the service. I was very dissatified. On the morning before checking out we decided to go to the beach and came back about 10:30, right after entering the room this guy knocks at the door furious demanding us to leave. I was scared and confused why would he act like that. There are no reason for someone to act that why.I understand that It was our foult for not paying attention to the check out time because we assume it was 11 (as most places are) but for them act like that way was unacceptable. I spoke with the owner the woman was even worst telling us that check out time was 10 and thats it. She has no understanding of customer service and how to approach people. I was very offended they way she handled the situation. We were only 30 minute late not 1-2-3 hours. I preferred to pay her the 30 minute late check out and never had to go through that again. I dont want to hurt her business but I am really upset cause I have check out before but never in my life been kicked out.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank danjaL
Huntington Station, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

Been staying at the Tangiers for the last several years! The rooms and the resort are kept very clean.It is in one of the best parts of the Wildwoods to stay,
Wildwood Crest is nice and quiet and the Tangiers is only a short walk to the start of the boardwalk. The WiFi is not free but i got a very strong signal for optimum WiFi just use your log-on if you are a optimum customer.

Bruce and Arlene do a great job and make your stay very enjoyable!!!
Thank you for another GREAT time! I Hope to be able to get back by the end of summer!

Thank's again Bruce,
Eric-New York

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
22 Thank ArubaKidd
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

I stayed there with my family. They had us on surveillance the whole time. I felt so uncomfortable. They watched every move my kids made. Do not consider if you have young children.

5 Thank Anthony0585
TangiersMotel, Manager at Tangiers Resort Motel, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
We love children! The majority of our repeat clientele have young children. We have security cameras on site for the safety of all of our guests. When children are left unattended and are destroying property we have to intervene and correct the issue. Pool equipment, Giant Chess set pieces and other equipment are expensive to replace.

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Paulsboro, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

Needed a room on short notice and called Tangiers the fact that they had vacancy should have been my first clue! While the price was a value deal I still feel like I overpaid for what I got. The only nice thing was the location...The room was very dark and outdated. We had an efficiency room. The room where the double bed was was also the access to the bathroom so the two teens with us had to come into the bedroom to use the bathroom. the bathroom had no tissues, few rough towels and no shower head. The hot water was cold the cold water was hot. The overall appearance was outdated and in need of repair. While Arlene and Bruce at the front desk were very nice the hotel needs some love. You can go across the street to the Crusader and for about $60.00 more you can get a MUCH nicer room.

3 Thank jerzeezgirl4ever
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

Location was great, perfect view of the ocean. Deck was facing the ocean as promised and right across the street. Staff was very friendly and pleasant. Restaurant on the property was very good and convenient. My disappointment came with the room. First when you walked in there is a drop of 3/4 of an inch. Room was very small and smelt musty, rug was old and spotty. The bathroom was from the 1950's, the sink and the toilet were green, toilet seat was white. There was no strainer in the sink or bathtub (don't wear jewelry) and the drain of the sink was rusty. The shower curtain was thick and old looking. The toilet whistled after you flushed. Kitchenette which consisted of a very small sink, too burner stove and a tiny microwave was only about 4 feet long. The only thing new was the refrigerator. Pool had a dirty ring around it. Could only get a few channels on the TV. Not a good choice to stay.

1 Thank NjTree
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

Well, we wanted to go to Wildwood for 1 night and this was the only place that would let us stay for 1 night on a Sat. night. The room was clean and did not smell musty. Yes, the bathroom did look like 1970 (see picture), but it was clean. We got a 1-room efficiency with 2 double beds. The beds were a bit hard. It had a microwave and a large refrigerator and a small electric stove. The air conditioner worked just fine and it was 100 degrees that day. We were able to sleep and despite a rowdy crowd at the pool, it was quiet at night. There is a Doo-Wop ice cream shop/diner attached to the hotel and the food was decent. We could walk to the beginning of the boardwalk ( about 6 blocks). We rented bikes from Crest bikes - we did not like them, the surrey we rented did not have the seat adjusted correctly and my legs kept hitting the steering wheel. The pool was warm, but the sides of the pool were dirty and the kind of skeeved me out a bit. The beach is about 1.5 blocks and you can see it from the hotel. The beach isn't to far from the water (about 2 blocks walking on the sand). The owners were nice and helpful. However, we noticed about 5 flies in our room when we checked-in. We were able to kill them, but when we woke up there were another 5 more flies. That worried me, because that would mean there was decaying food somewhere, maybe in the sink. I would try to find another place, but most of the hotels wanted a 3 night min. So, if flies don't bother you, then this is an OK place. However, it costs us $181 for just 1 night, but it is peak season. The Days Inn Wildwood wanted $300/night. So I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family