“Looking for a return visit”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Commander-By-The-Sea-Motel
Ranked #31 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
King of Prussia
“Looking for a return visit”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Booked a two Room Oceanview Suite (room) - in August 2012 for two college students just before their return to school for a Dad and Boys time away - the older one decided to take a late summer class so it turned out to be just for two. The room would have been plenty for six if needed - but with two we had our own rooms - and if you spend any time with a college student - you would like them to have their own room. The Hotel was very family oriented typical Wildwood Crest hotel - on the beach, with a pool, sundeck, ping-pong and no streets to cross if you have those little ones. There are enough local restaurants (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) places close by if you wanted to just park the car and walk - but for the amusemant rides and boardwalk - you need some wheels. The Hotel has a Community coffee urn out front that you need while you wait for your twenty-something college student to wake-up...who seemily would sleep the entire week if allowed. Hotel perfectly situated - to wake up the kids - sleep-walk them down to the beach and watch "a" sunrise (something that I require each year from my kids to do for those of them that still listen to me - along with watching at least one sunset from a beach as well - that way they have to get to a beach every year even if they live in a place that is land-locked). The check-in, rooms, parking - the hotel entire experience - was a very good experience and valued right for the price paid - it's hard to find a place where the kids can roll out of bed, roll into the pool, roll out of the pool, roll down the beach and then roll into the ocean - then reverse gears and roll back and do the same things only in reverse order. After spending my whole life going to the South Jersey Cape - the walk to the oceran - even from beach front hotels - just continues to lenghten - on a clear day - you have to walk so far to the ocean from the hotel pool - that I believe you can see France...I'm too old to carry the "twenty somethings" and can only wonder how the younger parents with the Little-ones have to truck all "that-stuff" like I did when mine were "little-ones" - that can't be fun...Overall - good location - away from the noise and crowds - but close enough if you want and need that...my not-so little one(s) are looking to go back to sleep-in.

Room Tip: Note - only a handful of rooms have "direct" front ocean view - almost all other rooms hav...
1 Thank John F

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 April 2013

This hotel is so very clean. Something myself and my family always look for. The rooms with the kitchens are spotless, right down to the utensils. The B-Q's which can be used are always cleaned everyday. We bring ribs and burgers to grill. The owners take pride in their hotel. This is a family hotel so although you can hang out at night there is none of that loud party atmosphere. The pool is always kept clean and yes there are always workers cleaning-not creepy men as someone wrote in a previous review, making sure that nobody goes into the pool that has sand or mud all over them which some people may try to do but they make sure that doesn't happen. The beach is right there to walk down to. This is our third year coming back now. The rooms are not fancy but comfortable and clean and the maid service is great. They clean everyday. If you need anything or have questions-just ask Suzanne or her Mom or brother-extremely caring people! We will be back this summer in July and already booked Labor Day weekend. The rates are reasonable and for the location I think it is a great price! Thank You Commander for being a wonderful place. My daughter can't wait to come back this summer and now I have my brother coming down with his family. I think you will find this hotel a wonderful place to make family memories!

Room Tip: No elevators, so if that is an issue ask for first floor-stairs to go to second or third floor. But...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank AlisaM552
Greenbelt
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I spent a week here with my wife several months ago. The rooms are very dated. We put the do not disturb sign up and someone still entered our room. The sign did not fly off the knob. There are creepy men (2-3) who stand at the bottom of the stairs that may work for the property. They stand there with water hose in hand to spray you and your belongings off to prevent sand in the rooms. This is uncomfortable and ackward. Imagine you are leaving the beach and approaching the stairs to go upstairs to your room. Several men are standing silent watching you as you approach the property. No greeting, no pleasantries, just start to spray. I did not feel threatened but this should not be happening. I am a police officer and was on the verge of confronting them but decided not to cause a scene.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lcarlotta29
Niko26, Owner at Commander-By-The-Sea-Motel, responded to this review, 12 January 2013
Thank you for your review. When someone rents a motel in the Wildwoods they must keep in mind that these structures date back to the 60's and 70's. Thus, we are constrained by the physical limitations of these buildings. One cannot expect to find something on the order of a national/international chain in these properties. That said, we are constantly upgrading all facets of our property---kitchens, bathrooms, furniture, lighing, carpeting, and many other amenities inside and out. We receive consistent praise from our regular customers regarding these improvements. We take great pride in the staff that we have assembled. They are extremely friendly and helpful to all of our customers. They go to great lengths to assist our customers in any requests they may have in order to make their stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Beach sand is great on the beach but it causes major problems when it ends up in our pool, carpeting and bathroom tubs! As we constantly strive to maintain very clean rooms and facilities that are in good working order, there are occasions when we must assist our customers in rinsing off beach sand upon their return from the beach. My employees are very courteous in this regard and always ask our customers if they can assist them in rinsing off all of their beach articles upon their return from the beach.
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We really enjoyed our trip to WW this August and were happy to stay at CBTS. I was specifically looking for an on the beach motel with a first floor room for my Pops who has some mobility issues. FYI--when you call to make a reservation you can request a certain room!!
Denise reserved a room on the first floor for us and the rate was $190/night which is on par with the rest of the beach front motels during peak season. As a matter of fact, it was probably a good $30 less than some of the other beach front/beach block motels.
The room was small--the exact floor plan and size of Sand Dune which also has great prices, but is not on the beach and the owners not quite as friendly.
Although small, it had what we needed. Sofa bed, table and chairs, kitchenette, and two queen/fullish beds in the back.
When we checked in, we were given a lot of info about where to eat, where to shop, what to do. Gave us a tour of the ice machine and Denise plopped a quarter in for us so that the first bucket was on the house ;) Really, .25 for a bucket of ice isn't going to break anyone and although annoying, when you're at the beach you usually have a few quarters laying around from being on the boardwalk the night before.
Also.. if you have kids and go swimming, the folks will come out to the pool when they notice more than 3 or 4 kids are there and throw quarters in for the kids to catch. My kids netted a few bucks and guess what? Bucket of ice PAID FOR BROTHA!! CHA CHING!!! And the folks who threw the quarters in; I can see where people get a creepy vibe, but I didn't feel l ike they were threatening at all. There were usually at least two guys hanging out by the pool area assisting with cleaning and encouraging you to clean sand off prior to entering the pool, but that's their job. Can't always be women, I suppose.
But back to the room. It is your typical Wildwood room but it was insanely clean and the bathroom looked like it had been recently redone a'la Bath Fitters. I had no problem with the room. Lots of these places; you expect to see some degree of mildew on the ceiling tiles or whatever--none of that here.
There was free wifi which was nice. Nice sun deck that a lot of people took advantage of at night to watch and listen to the ocean. Each table had a napkin/utensil caddy to use up on the sun deck. BBQ's although we didn't use them looked really clean and we observed them being cleaned almost daily.
We were able to park right in front of the room in this weird 6 spot area in front of the hotel.
Although the hotel was fully booked, it was quiet and clean. As with most places at the shore, family oriented. Several Quebecois families.
The only thing I didn't like was that the pool was not situated in front of the hotel facing the rooms, but off to the side. When we stayed at Sand Dune the last couple of years we requested a first floor room and it was always very nice to be able to pop in from the pool to the room very quickly. So we had to walk a few feet, no big deal.
Overall, we'd certainly stay there again. For some people being on the Crest is a little far to drive to the boards, but part of what I love about WW is driving around at dusk and looking at all of the neighborhoods and people watching and such. I loved the drive. And, if you want to go into Cape May, it's a short drive to the bridge.

Room Tip: No elevator, so request a room on the first or second floor if you tend to bring a lot to the beach...
2 Thank Karen N
Connecticut
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Second visit to the Commander. How can you beat a quite, super clean, family oriented home away from home. Beds are comfy, TV is older but okay. Kitchen area just right for simple cooking, good sized fridge/microwave/stovetop (no real oven). We did the Oceanfront with balcony which is smaller than the Oceanview rooms...no living room area. Think I like the bigger space than having the view, so next year I'll switch back. Really nice staff/owners, and Kathy was a wonderful housekeeper. Pool is sparkling and relaxing. Ocean is 100yds away and the beach has perfect sand (not a lot of shells though). A trolley ride away from the boardwalk, but far enough away to avoid the noise and traffic. Lots of local restaurants, grocery, and little shops. We love the Cape May area and will be back!

Room Tip: It's a motel so avoid 1st floor. No elevators. Terrible coffee.
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

For the third year in a row, an amazing experience, staff recognizing the kids, clean room, a smiling suzanna and of course my favorite Boston Bruis fan Bill.

Great staff, amazing location.

Thanks for another wonderfull vacation.

• Stayed July 2012
New Jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My family stayed at the Commander for a week in July. If you are looking for an average cheap place to stay this is it. The location is great, right on the beach. It has a pool which my family enjoyed. We stayed on the third floor which was quite a hike because they do not have an elevator. Our room was a two room "suite" with only a refrigerator. The front room had no air conditioning and was always hot. The actual air conditioner was in the bedroom but it could not cool the front room. The bathroom was my nightmare. The toilet flushed very slowly. On our first hour there we had to call the front desk to get a plunger for the toilet. We had to flush a couple of times and then wait for the tank to fill up again and then flush again. Very very frustrating! The shower has one of those old fashioned shower heads that cannot be moved, which was very inconvenient if you didn't want to get your hair wet. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. So we did have our pros and cons. Overall we did have a good stay but the bathrooms need to be spruced up a bit.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor. You won't need to use the stairs. They do not have an elevator...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pina71
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your concerns, and during this off season we have addressed all of the issues you mention with regard to our bathrooms on the thrid floor with new and upgraded amenities. Normally, our rooms typically will cool down nicely with the current air conditioners we use, however, there are occasions when the front rooms will remain warm if the curtains are not kept closed due to the fact that we face south and have to contend with constant sun exposure. We always advise our customers to please keep their drapes closed during the afternoons so the rooms can stay cool.