“Feels like home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Commander-By-The-Sea-Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Commander-By-The-Sea-Motel
Ranked #27 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Feels like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

This is by far one of the best places I have stayed at in all my years travelling. I have been all around the world in my life and this is the cleanest, friendliest place. Look forward to staying here again next vacation.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mike l

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Millstone, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

We were looking for a quick, quiet beach getaway, and after looking at Trip Advisor, booked Commander-By-The Sea. I was a little wary when Suzanne said our room was by the office, but no worries. A 2-room, double Queen bedded unit, it was quiet and had to be one of the cleanest rooms I have ever stayed in. Everything worked. Vents and filters spotless. As others have said, nothing fancy, but everything you need right on the beach. A lovely pool, several comfortable deck areas for sunning, barbecuing, or just gathering with friends. The clientele were well behaved families and regulars who have been coming for years. The kitchenette area had a stove and full size fridge. I was so impressed by how fresh and clean everything was. Management is engaging and helpful. Easy drive to Cape May and located in a nice residential area. There are a variety of rooms from ocean front to efficiencies, 3 stories, no elevator. Parking onsite -- one space per reservation. Commander is a keeper.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boadicea32
Sewell, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Again a beautiful trip for my family we just came back from!! Excellent room, people, place! We meant soo many nice people that are regulars every year here too and it was such a nice time!! This is our fifth year and my daughter loves Mr. Bill, Ms. Polly and Miss Suzanne and can't wait each year to come!! Miss Cheryl is the best too! It's a tradition to spend Labor Day every year now here! Can't wait to go back then!! Thank you Commander!!

Room Tip: First and second floor are great-
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Albany, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Don't hesitate to book your Wildwood Crest vacation stay at the Commander By The Sea. While nothing fancy, the rooms are clean and bright and nicely appointed. Everyone is pleasant, helpful and inviting. They have grills for cooking out and plenty of tables to enjoy your meals outside. The rooms are just a few steps from the beach and when you are done with the beach they have a great pool. My only complaint would be about the large groups/families that take over the outside space without leaving a few tables for those of us in small (2 people) groups and during those times we didn't feel comfortable being outside. Overall, the Commander is a great place and we will be going back next year.

Room Tip: Book early in the year. There is no elevator so if you can't walk the stairs you'll need t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
falmouth, maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Wow, we just sort of picked this place based on a local referral service, a last minute arrangement just to have a base to visit the area for 2 days. I'm from NJ, used to vacation further north at the shore in Lavallette; never been to Wildwood or Cape May.
This is an unassuming 3 story stucco motel right on the beach on East Pittsburgh Avenue.
The thing that makes this unique is that it is well run, Suzanne the owner is very personable and you can tell takes pride in the way this place looks and is run. It's sort of old school, our room was about $110 and had 2 queens, bathroom, a/c, plasma TV, and a sitting room with 2 huge windows looking out at next hotel and beach.
Everything worked.
Everything was spotless.
Tile in bathroom - pink! with stucco walls - was in excellent condition; shower worked great, as nice or nicer than many name hotels; a/c worked fine; linens were clean, towels had no holes, shower curtain was clean, one of the few places I've ever been where I felt the carpet was clean enough to walk on barefoot. Lots of families there, busy but not obnoxiously raucous; families playing corn toss in parking lot, local parking (drive a compact; the spaces are tight); location is right on the beach, pool, 2 decks with chaise lounges and PVC chairs, very well kept. No restaurant on site. Not noisy at all; slept well. Suzanne was a wealth of local information.
I don't know if we'll ever go back to Wildwood Crest, but I can tell you this was as relaxing, pleasant and well run as any mid to high end hotel i've ever been to, so kudos to them.

Room Tip: any; recommend 2nd or 3rd floor to get a better view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chimayred
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

As Lcarlotta stated he is a police officer so my guess is he is a little more paranoid and on-guard regarding his surroundings than the rest of us. And that is fine and understandable. I hope he reads this because this is a sincere,accurate response from a longtime Commander patron.

I have been going here for 10 years. I stay here 5 to 7 times a summer totaling at least 25 days.
I see it all summer long. I would say I have stayed here at least 50 times.

There is nothing creepy about anyone who works here. In fact, they are all so good they could work elsewhere but they choose to stay here. Many have worked here over 15 years.
For many years I came down with my daughter who was 11 when we started coming down. This is the only place I have felt comfortable allowing her to roam free without me. She is now nearly 22 and comes down with friends while I am here. That says something when a 21 year old wants to return to the CREST. The CREST is generally not where the young and hip want to hang out. So it says she feels comfortable here.

I'd rather have sand washed off me then in my bed at night. If anyone finds the fact they spray your feet off an uncomfortable situation then just say something! Or grab the hose and say you'll do it yourself. I am sure that would do the trick. These guys stand UNDER the deck to stay out of the hot sun. Most people are only down a week at a time so imagine what it would be like to be working outdoors in hot humid weather in the sun, ALL summer long. That's why they stand under the deck.Not to be creepy but to get OUT OF THE SUN.

I've stayed all over and yes Ive tried other places but I always come back here. Always!

JUNE 2014 Acquaintances of mine stayed at a crappy North Wildwood motel for a week because it was cheaper!!!!. I wouldn't stay there cause it's old, dingy and junky. I stayed at the Commander and took the 20 minute ride up to see them daily.

I am not the only person happy with this motel. Check the reviews. This is a Happy place where you can enjoy fresh, clean air. Clean rooms, nice staff and feel safe.

I have been down twice already in Summer of 2014 for a total of 8 nights. My next visit is 15- July, 2014. And NO, they did not pay me to write this review or offer any type of compensation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank djwalpa
Waverly, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We have not stayed here this year, but have stayed there previously for a week in the summer for approx 15 years straight. Friendly, clean, great service, always updating to the best of their ability. Nicco is right.......... it's the shore and you are not going to get a Vegas-type resort anywhere. Great location, clean pool....yep, they will wash the sand off your feet for you. To me, that's nice plus it keeps the sand out of their rooms and pool. Family run - we always looked forward to our stay at the Commander (sometimes twice a summer)

Room Tip: The 9 front rooms are smaller and do not have a separate bedroom but WOW, what a view from the priva...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
#49 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Villa Nova Motel
Villa Nova Motel
#51 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Commander-By-The-Sea-Motel? Share your experiences!