“Great place to stay!”

Ranked #26 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at the Crusader for the 4th of July weekend and had a great time. The staff is very friendly and always cleaning something on the premises. We have 2 kids which means we come with way too many bags. I love that they have carts and an elevator because it really makes that process much easier. The pool has a lifeguard on duty, which gives some added comfort when the kids are swimming. Parking is pretty good too. There are spots around the hotel as well as under the hotel and they aren't super tight like some places I've stayed at. You can walk to the boardwalk but we drive because it is a bit of a walk. The only reason I rated it 4 out of 5 is because I think the rooms are a bit outdated and could use a little makeover. Still not something that would deter me from staying again. Overall, a great place for families!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank AMac6912

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Clifton, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We have vacationed at The Crusader for 4 years now and each year just gets better! The rooms and grounds are immaculate, and the staff is friendly and extremely accommodating. The pool is serviced daily and has a gated area for the little ones. In addition to lounge chairs, the sun deck has tables & chairs and is a perfect place to enjoy lunch or dinner. The beach is literally across the street and it is just a short walk to the boardwalk and to playgrounds. The oceanfront balconies offer an amazing view, particularly at sunset...it's a little piece of paradise. Just like in previous years, upon checkout today, we booked our room for the summer of 2015. Thank you Jana, Allan, Ed, Yiselle and staff for another incredible vacation. See you next year!
Mary & Joe (303)

Room Tip: "Oceanfront rooms offer superior views"
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MaryDFS
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This is my second time staying at the Crusader, for a family reunion. We've stayed in many a place over the years. After some good ones, and a few not so good, The Crusader seems to be a good fit for us. Its definitely one of the more accommodating places we've stayed in.

On both visits, the management working the front desk was very friendly and helpful. I asked for a favor, and was granted it, knowing full well the answer could have easily been "No". The manager never hesitated, and for that extra step I am grateful.

Both rooms(suites) I stayed in had been renovated. A nice bright bathroom, and clean. The air conditioning blows as cold as you can stand it. 6 of us showered after the beach and always had hot water. A full size fridge, comfortable sitting room, with newer tv rounds off the room. The one year we had a balcony, which was nice to sit and have a cold one as people walked or rode by below. It was separated by subway glass, which kept it private from the sides.

The pool is clean and serviced daily. For the little ones there's a fence around the pool and the baby/wading pool is divided from the larger pool. Its nice to sit on the ledge and let the kids bounce around knowing they aren't going to drift to the deep end. If laying out is your thing theres a bunch of chairs by the pool and a separate sundeck away from the pool.

The interior rooms all have small sitting areas for each room and look out over the pool. If you get a beachfront balcony room, you'll enjoy the view, and the traffic noise is minimal thanks to the park next door closing off the stree to most beach traffic.

There's a restaurant connected below, and the food is pretty tasty, a little expensive for what you get but they are large portions. They make the food quickly for take out. I never dined in. I ordered 5 different menu items at lunch time and the food was ready in 15 minutes.

In closing, if you're looking for a newer luxury style hotel, keep looking. If you're looking for a clean, friendly beachfront throwback hotel/motel that takes ya back a little, this place nails it. The added bonus is the renovations to bring it modern. Which is something some places try but never pull off. These guys did it.

My only negative comment is in regards to the parking...the area is a little tight for larger vehicles. We have a mini van, and you definitely need to pay attention when parking. I would also try and park away from the park next door, because of the baseball field. I saw a few cars parked on the street get tagged by some long hit balls. Never a hotel side shot but it came close once or twice. It's a minor issue but shouldn't go unmentioned.

I joined tripadvisor just to leave good reviews for the Crusader and bad ones for a pizza place. Thanks... (Dan&Jess ;-) ) we'll be back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank idontnormallydothis
Teaneck, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Crusader for the last five years as part of the NY Skyliners drum and bugle corps weekend. This year when we arrived on Friday night around 8pm we were given room 217 which was not a bedroom. The room contained a full kitchen, in adequate lighting, a full bath and a hide-a-bed sofa. As we had paid for our accommodations two months in advance through the Skyliners the hotel's answer was "it's not our problem, talk to the Skyliners". The organizer of the weekend was not informed that this room was not in fact a bed room but clearly a "living room" as the two adjoining room 219 and 218 were bedrooms and there were adjoining doors so that either room (or both) could rent 217 as a suite.
My husband is 6'3" and I am 5'8" and both of us are of average weight. Needless to say we spent two very uncomfortable nights in a pull out sofa.
To add insult to injury, on Sunday morning, even though check out time was 11:00 the cleaning staff arrived at 9:30am to "get our room ready for the next guest".
After 5 years of being loyal and repeated customers who always recommend the Crusader to friends and family, we will be looking for a different hotel who at least makes an attempt to not misrepresent its rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure that the room they sell you actually has a real bed.
4 Thank equicantus
Alan S, General Manager at The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, The Skyliners have been staying with us for many years and and have always had a pleasant stay. You are like family.

I did explain to you when you approached me regarding your room assignment that we, The Crusader, do not assign the rooms and we are not permitted to make any room changes. I gave you the name of the individual in your group that handles the room assignments and suggested that you contact that individual for assistance. There was no further communication from yourself or your group's committee member with me regarding your request to be moved. Unfortunately, I assumed the situation was settled. For that I do apologize.

Regarding "standard" reservations, we describe, in detail, the various room types to prospective guests. At no time did, or will we ever mislead a guest.

I hope that you will reconsider, and stay with us again next year. Please be specific when you place your reservation with your committee member. If you have a question regarding your accommodation please feel free to call me.

Best Regards,
Alan
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed for a long weekend with a large group. The Crusader is very clean, close to the beach, the staff is wonderful. Also a restaurant attached, the food is great!!!! The pool is very well maintained and everyone really enjoyed this place. I know we will be back. No complaints.

3 Thank TerryS0902
Kent Island, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I went with a group and we were in 6 units. The rooms were great, the price was reasonable, in a very nice location, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back there again. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating, always helpful but not intrusive. We had the option of eating in our efficiency unit, or in their very good restaurant, or in the many other eateries nearby. Loved this place!

Room Tip: Top floor oceanfront with a balcony was perfect for views and breezes!
Hamilton Square, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Very clean and staff is very polite it's very quite and the restaurant has great food plus the prices to stay there are very reasonable. My girlfriend and I stayed there twice this month and each time it was great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple