“Somewhere in between”

Royal Hawaiian Beachfront Resort
Ranked #61 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We haven't visited Jersey in many years. We booked later confronting limited vacancy options. Through reviews, internet search, availability, we found the Royal Hawaiian.

As we have posted in past, the definition of “resort” for many East Coast hotels is very different from the “resorts” you find in more extravagant locations. Readers also need to analyze content, differentiating between subjective and objective comments. We found this the case for reviews of Royal Hawaiian as many travelers seemed to be satisfied, repeat customers. Two weeks prior to our stay there were a flurry of reviews bashing the place. Clearly an unsatisfied group. We don’t feel Royal Hawaiian deserves some of the negative comments posted; however, for repeat travelers we can only paraphrase the Cheers sitcom as one of the better reasons for their loyalty -- “they want to go where everybody knows their name”.

Comments from our experience:

Booking: We paid deposit by personal check. Here is where one should be subjective! Despite a reviewer’s nitpicking that computers were not used, we received an email confirmation and scanned receipt. We signed one piece of paper on check-in (like we do at every hotel). As long as a reservation is correct, does it matter if computer or paper is used? Of note, a 5% discount is offered if the balance owed at check-in is paid with cash, cashier’s check or money order. When we booked (by phone) we were told unit would be nice, believe Style B, probably 5th floor side of hotel nearest to ocean. We were at end further from ocean on second floor, nearest hot tub. But okay--beaches in NJ are so wide that any end is a distance! Nice location in Crest but a little far from Boards. Walking not feasible with kids!

Internet/WiFi: Lousy! We were one floor above, two rooms away from office. From the balcony we had a weak signal. In the room, signal totally vanished.

Staff/Housekeeping: We agree with some reviews that staff did not seem very friendly but they were courteous.

Housekeeping did a good job. They came daily between 9:30-1:30 “ish” and were accommodating. Towels were abundant--we received 8 to 9 daily.

Bedrooms: The beds are our foremost complaint. Small beds, awful support. We are a family of four with a petite 12 and 13.5 year old. By the third night we all lacked sleep, cramps each morning. From one side it felt like you were leaning, struggling not to roll out of bed. The other side was butt up against the wall so we had to crawl over each other. Housekeeping apparently had difficulty tucking sheets on the wall side. A few mornings one of us would wake with a ball of sheets beneath us having slept on bare mattress (kinda’ gross). The room is large enough so that the beds could have been centered toward the middle of the room, leaving some space on either side. The television was an older tube model but worked.

Linens: Towels and sheets all seemed clean. Blankets & sheets were a little tattered with a few small holes.

Kitchenette: Small refrigerator, four burner stove (no oven), sink, older laminated countertops but clean and adequate.

Bathroom: Small, clean. There were no shelves or rack space so towels were stacked on top of toilet bowl which is a bit gross. There is ample room for a shelf or towel rack-- shame on owners for not installing them!

Living Room/Dining area: Again, clean, ample space including a small sofa, table with seating for 5-6. Furniture seemed older, slightly worn from use. The television was newer.

Grill/Pool area:
Grills were newer, maintained and nice amenity for many families to barbeque by the sea! The grounds were clean and maintained.
Pools were clean but closed at 8 (except Weds and Saturday). We agree with other reviewers’ comments when it was time for pool to close, the lady closing the pools was punctual with a bit of an attitude. But we observed guests procrastinating as they left so maybe there is reason for attitude???? 8:00pm is early -- other hotels in the area had their pools open later, daily.

The pool was not heated and cold. The hot tub became a glorified, over-crowded swimming pool. There was alcohol use and smoking in pool area (a pet-peeve for our family).

Parking: Spaces are typical—small and tight. There was an attendant policing the lot during the evening hours. Some spaces accommodated smaller vehicles better than larger ones. We believe the owners or attendant should implement some plan for assigning vehicles to some spaces according to size.

Beach access: Private access was nice, the walkway made the trek a little easier. The beach is well maintained & clean.

Overall, Royal Hawaiian seemed to be family-oriented lodging. You occasionally heard pitter-patter of kids running or talking, etc. but overall quiet. It is not horrible--it is somewhere between good and bad. For our family, not sure we’d be eager to return. For the price, there are other places offering more bang for the buck & better beds!

1  Thank PATraveler4
royalhawaiian, General Manager at Royal Hawaiian Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2015

Thank you for your review we will look into the complaints and try to correct.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We just came home today so this is fresh off the press. 2 days prior to checking in I called to confirm our reservation. I was disappointed to learn that the amount quoted on my receipt that I received in the mail was less then what I was told when confirming. When I inquired I was told weekends start on Thursday and who ever made the reservation made a mistake giving us a lower rate, but we were told we had to pay the higher rate. I didn't argue because I figure I would take that up with my credit card company since I have the receipt with lower amount. Like others that have stated Lester is pleasant but the two dead fish are not friendly at ALL!!! They don't smile and are very short when they answer questions. We were on the first level pool side. The pool was very nice but cold the ocean was a lot warmer. The hot tub was as other reviews stated a "warm" tub, but felt much better than the pool. The room smelled like mildew but otherwise looked clean. I checked high and low for mold but didn't see any mold. All of our clothes smell even the clean ones. parking is tight, get an end space if you can. The Wi-Fi does not work in the room must be outside or in the pool area. In the future this would NOT be my first choice. Bring pillows because they are FLAT....

3  Thank Rosa T

Thank you for your review and we will look into your concerns.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We have been going to wildwood for years and the past three times have stated at this hotel . I have always brought our small dog ( the reason we stay here ) and have never been charged ! This year in early July I called and booked a room for 5 nights it was about 165.00 a night for my daughters sweet 16 gift as this is what she wanted to do . I never received a confirmation so I decided to call - the owner Lester looked and had no reservation !!! He was like sorry don't have you ! I told him I spoke with the woman she had all my info and dates , he was not apologetic and told me he only had a room on the 1st floor then 4 days on the 4th floor of course I had to pay almost almost 40 more a night . When I asked for a break or discount since they lost my reservations he said "No" in a rude Manner- I could not do anything at this point because it was really all my daughter asked for . When we arrived the lady checked us in and did not say a word to us and acted like the above review mentioned rude and not polite . The rooms look worse then ever , there is no shower pressure and they give like 4 towels a day . There is smoking all over including the pool area and I could smell smoke thru our vents , as a Asmatic this is not good for me at all - there are filled ashtrays all over :( gross , two doors over were a group of young kids who were not loud but the smell of smoke and marajunia was very noticeable as they left the door open to air the room out . We had our dog on our little semi private deck area and yes , as the workers and maids passed with there carts she did bark . There was a dog bellow who was barking and was outside on the deck area And another women who had a dog out in the day by the pool and would walk him around the hotel area, nowhere did it state dog must be kept in room ! While sitting there a guy approached us and did not identify himself they only way I knew he was a worker was because of his shirt . He proceded to say you have to bring the dog inside and go see the mgr now cause they don't know you have a Dog . I told my hubby they know we have the dog I told them and we would talk to them in morning as it was our last day . Mgt never called us or asked to see us so we just kept her in the room for the last day . At check out Lester the owner proceeded to say in a Nasty tone " so how ya gonna take care if the dog payment " my husband was like we have come here for over 3 years never paid for her . Nothing days there is a charge on our confirmation . Lester then says " so what are you saying you don't want to pay for the dog"? My hubby said no I don't think I should - you extend the Curtiousy to me as a returning customer and you need to be more concerned about you hotel and what is going on like smoking in rooms that was coming thru the vents - his reply was the rooms are non smoking. And the kids smoking pot - and how dirty your hotel has become . Lester then said so your not going to pay my hubby said no I should not have too we paid our bill and yes got the 5% added we were not told about . Lester said ok and we left . Today there was a unautherized charged for 92.00 on my debit card . I did not sign or agree to this charge .. I'm reporting them as that was illegal . It's sad to think these people run there business this way ...

3  Thank Kmmison

Sorry your stay was unpleasant, you had no complaints till we confronted you about the dog.
When we allow pets we charge because the rooms are sprayed and all bedding is washed and
carpeting is shampooed. this is a time consuming process for all.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Royal Hawaiian resort needs to put $ back into the hotel. The rooms are DIRTY and very OUTDATED! The management is awful and are not friendly at all. The pool is nice but that's it. If they updated the rooms and management was more friendly this place would do very well but until then we won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2014
royalhawaiian, Owner at Royal Hawaiian Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2015

Sorry you did not enjoy your stay. The rooms are updated every couple years, We recently updated all bathrooms and carpeting.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

location good..right on beach..rest was baaaaaad. DIRTY outdated place..crappy shower pressure and virtually no wifi.....i was told to go on the balcony to get service?????? what about in the room? parking was good but my family of 4..2 small kids slept on our air mattress we bought in case..and glad we did....did not want to touch anything...kept yelling at kids to stay off the floor or touch much in the place
DO NOT GO

Room Tip: now that i see where this hotel ranks on trip advisor i know why i should have not stayed there
1  Thank yetijeff79

Sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, we will look into your concerns.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our family has come here for a few years now. It is great because it is right on the beach, the pools are very nice, clean, and has a large walk in hot tub. Our rooms were updated and very clean. Beds were nice. Had microwave, and small fridge. They also had a big table in the unit which was great to play games, or have meals at. There are other units that have kitchens. It is also pet friendly. It is a nice motel, but remember it is not the Hilton. For what we needed it was great. The rooms do get damp if you leave the doors open, but this I've experienced at most ocean motels. The pool area and rooms were cleaned well, and the pool and room staff were very nice.

My only complaint was the personnel in the office had the personality of a dead fish. Although Lester was nice to deal with. The ladies had short curt answers, and never cracked a grin for our entire stay.

One other note. The pool closes at 8pm all nights except for Sat and Wed which close at 10p. was a little bummed because would love to swim after dinner. But, this did keep the loudness or crazy kids away when you are trying to relax at the end of the day.

****warning**** they have a 5% charge if you use a credit card or debit card, so if this an issue for you bring cash. You also have to pay for your entire stay upfront.

Room Tip: We had a room right off the pool which I was afraid to get, but worked out very well. We were at th...
1  Thank roro3300eh

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we will look into your other concerns.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Sadly I thought I was going to be able to enjoy my beach vacation and be able to relax and unwind. Not so. Noisy neighbors at this place made sure of that.

Banging on the walls, slamming doors inconsiderate of others who might be sleeping at 1am. (I wonder if they broke something in there during their stay) Needless to say the walls are paper thin here you can hear all things done said etc. It makes it hard to relax when you can't sleep. Not that the beds are comfortable at all anyway. Not even remotely.

We had a whole week here. I really wished it would have ended sooner so I could go home and sleep in my own bed.

The best part is that this is close to the beach but when it's raining and the beach doesn't matter, it's a bit of a let down.

Our tv was broken and the pictures came in fuzzy almost every channel on the flat screen tv. You couldn't even watch the news. The WiFi only works near the pool.

This wouldn't be my choice for my next vacation to the shore that's for sure.

1  Thank darkhuntersimi

Sorry your stay was unpleasant but did you ever mention the problems to any one.
If you had mentioned your concerns we could have addressed them.