“not the worst, but I cannot reccommend...read on.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Hawaiian Beachfront Resort

Royal Hawaiian Beachfront Resort
Ranked #59 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Jersey Shore
“not the worst, but I cannot reccommend...read on.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

Rather than pointing out any specific incidents with the motel, I would like to point out some of the things in general that I experienced and thought of on a positive/negative scale...
Negatives...
(1)The hotel is old, maybe built in the late sixties and it shows (not in a good way)
(2) The hotel is severely mismanaged which the OWNER needs to address to ASAP
(3) There aren't any cameras for surveillance of safety which apparently they are in desperate need of from the type of crowd this motel attracts
(4) Parking is a major issue there. The spots are WAY too close together
(5) Wi-Fi is $12 a day...WOW!!!
(6) They do NOT have a "cafe"...what they have is a gift shop that sells coffee and bagels/doughnuts/muffins along with typical gift shop stuff(t-shirts,sunblock,ect.)BUT ONLY OFFERED DURING MORNING HOURS
(7) This is not a non-smoking motel
(8) The location of this establishment is ALL the way far into the Crest...one of the farthest...even past the Port Royal!
(9) The showers' water pressure is terrible
(10) The game room is nasty and dirty. The ping pong "table" is a home made one(lol) made from a small piece of press board? Never seen anything like that
(11) The exercise room is a joke...more like a storage closet complete with dust and exercise equiptment
Positives....
(1) The pool area is very unique and inviting(for a motel). It has 3 separate swimming areas. These consist of a large spa (although not jetted) with small waterfall, shallow children's area, and the largest area has a faux palm tree island and rock waterfall by the 11 foot deep end. This must have recently been redone because it does NOT reflect the older age of the rest of the motel. I can tell that any money that had been spent on this motel has clearly been spent in the pool area. The contractor did a nice job and it must have cost a fortune. My kids loved the pool...thank you for that!
(2) The "cafe" has the best coffee in town...no joke
(3) The rooms were clean-ish...I mean, they smelled like they had cleaned the room with bleach before we got there and bleach smells "clean".
(4) The showers' water was wicked hot, and did not run out of it even after 3 showers.
(5) They must have recently purchased new dressers and kitchen tables which were cheap in quality, but nicer than old crusty ones.
(6) The price we paid was competetive to others in the Crest.
(7) There is a kids "playroom"...kinda cute and a nice surprise
In summation...
Okay, all above said...This motel is in all fairness (in my opinion at least) very typical & unfortunately of what Wildwood in general offers...one star motels. Only a few motels are closer to a 3 star rating & nice enough for a weeks stay. Those book up quickly, and cost a little more (yet offer more). The Royal Hawaiian wasn't bad for a 2 nights stay. I did however, point out 11 negatives vs. 7 positives...only you can decide what type of vacation you are looking for.

The main reason I cannot reccommend this establishment is simply because I strongly feel that if a guest has ANY issue, the staff is not capable of hangdling it in an effective & hospitable manner. This horrendous woman that works there that you keep hearing about in the reviews that may or may not be a manager does exist. She apparently refuses to give out her name...strange. My recent stay was in particular unscathed, yet I beleive this to be a stroke of luck. The crowd that this motel attracts are not one of high standards. Besides, the rooms are just borderline acceptable.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

My family just returned from our 4th year staying at this hotel and again we were very pleased. Every year I read the negative comments and then get concerned before we go. Then every year, I am very pleased with our experience and am eagerly planning the next year's trip. Yes this is an older hotel. Yes the styles may be considered "dated" but again, that is part of the appeal of staying in one of the original properties. The hotel is located RIGHT ON THE BEACH and you could not ask for better access. You can see the beach from all rooms. There is a cute gift shop run by a very nice woman right on property. Yes I do agree parking can be tight-especially with today's SUVs sizes, but we managed. The pool is wonderful, large, warm with plenty of beach chairs. The jacuzzi is very nice too. Yes there can be rowdy and obnoxious guests in both but seriously-is it management's responsability to patrol guests for their actions or is it the guests responsabilities to act like respectful adults?? Every year we get room "H" because it has all we need to allow for breakfast and lunch to be taken care of in the room. There is a small fridge that is perfect for milk, sodas, cold cuts, and any leftovers from the night before. There is a small microwave that we use to heat up the leftovers or some mac n cheese for the kiddos. The room has 2 areas with 2 TVs. Great for putting little ones down and then still having a place to be without being quiet and in the dark. And the specials they offer for this type of room cannot be beat-especially in an econmomy like this. The owners are pleasant and took care of any needs we has immediately. People this is a great property and I will continue to book here albeit the less than stellar reviews posted and I encourage those on a budget to explore it for yourself. Those who want the Ritz-DON'T GO TO WILDWOOD!!! That is not what this island is about!!

2 Thank JRZgirlOHboy
nj
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

Stayed at this motel the last weekend of August 2009. It has a great location, and is central to all. It is not a Ritz Carlton, but I did not expect it to be. The room was basic, but clean, and had a small refrigerator, and microwave. It also had a small balcony overlooking the ocean. I paid $155.00 per night which is reasonable in a shore area at the height of the season. I do not feel that this place deserves so many negative reviews. The people at check in are not very friendly, but this did not bother me. My two children 3 and 5 had a blast. I have stayed at the finest of hotels and the worst of hotels and this place falls flat in the middle. Not bad, not great, but a decent night sleep. We spent most of the time on the beach and boardwalk each day. The only complaint I have is there refund policy. Once you book with them, even if you cancel 6 months before check-in, they still keep 50% of your money. This I found very questionable, and I would not recommend that you book this place too far in advance., or at all if you think you would change your mind about vacationing here.

3 Thank Poconop
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

I first booked this hotel in January 2009 for an "I" category for $177 night, which is an efficiency apartment for our family of 5. I had checked the reviews prior to booking and was pretty much keeping my fingers crossed because I truly didn't know what to expect. I was however, pleasantly surprised. We weren't directly in front of the pool, thankfully, because it is very noisy there and no privacy. We were on the second floor, street side but had an oceanview outside the balcony. It was very quiet and very private. The room didn't smell at all nor did it have any mold as the reviews stated. It was very clean. The pool was bigger than most and also clean. We also had no issues with the hotel staff, we found them to be very helpful and friendly. The parking spots are very tight. We ate at the cafe for breakfast and lunch across the street at the Singapore hotel, the food is good, cheap and the owners are very nice. Overall, we had a great stay and would stay at the Royal Hawaiian again. It is a good value for the money.

2 Thank Mommyof3AJB
Wolcott
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

This is the truth about the Royal Hawaiian! The reviews are a 100 percent but it gets worse. The hotel is dated and dirty, but that is the least of it's problems. We got there and they stated that they double checked the rooms for cleanliness, clearly they checked the wrong room, but again the worst is yet to come. We were at the hotel about 2 hours, we had enough time to visit the hotel and verify that the hotel is exactly what the reviews say. A bunch of kids in the jacuzzi drinking. People in the pool eating burgers, with mustard overflowing into the pool. Smoking everywhere and very clearly there was underaged drinking. I know this sounds bad, but it gets worse. You can google the next part if you believe that it may be a fabrication. A wife locked her husband out of the room and heebhusband allegidely was drinking and decided to jump from balcony to balcony resulting in him falling 5 floors. He and a rock flew passed our balcony crashing on someones car and leaving a pool of blood and other stuff all over thebgroubd beneath our room. Our car was immobilized whoso investigating the incident. When I spoke to management about providing us a new room or giving us our money back they claimed they did not have another room and could not give us our money back. Then she told me she wasn't management and that she didn't know where management was but that they were not on the property and would not be back. Considering the police investigation going on I couldn't imagine that they wouldn't be there, so I came back about 5 minutes later to find management or so they claim. He states he had no room but he would give us our money back if we left within the hour. I stated that we needed access our vehicle to leave. He didn't seem to care. Needless to say we were packed and ready to go along with our 3 children in 15 minutes. When we get back to the office hand in our keys for the 2 hour stay of stress and fear for our children. The so called management was gone and the first woman who we spoke to claimed he only was going to refund some of our money. She became beligerant and disgusted when we continued to ask for a full refund and REFUSED to let us speak to anyone else. I believe this woman was management and that this is what they do. I could easily sue them as my children and family went through a horrible ordeal! They are not worth my energy, but do yourself and your family a huge favor and end this hotels dirty buisness by not staying here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'hb

2 Thank WolcottSun
royalhawaiian, manager at Royal Hawaiian Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, 3 October 2009
When the doctor arrived she viewed the room before final payment. There was no problems. She and her family checked in and
proceded to the pool for several hours. Once again there were no complaints lodged.
Yes there was a unfortunate accident no fault of the Royal Hawaiian and she was upset she could not move her car due to the accident. With no compassion for the event that had just happened she insisted on a new room or a refund. With no spare rooms she was granted a refund.

Travellers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Pittsburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

Hotel is dated. Period. The location is fine, located on the beach but that's about the one and only selling point. The room we rented was first floor beach front. It was relatively clean but very dated. I guess for $250 per night, that's what you get. The TV's were dated, the furniture was dated, the mattresses were WAY past their prime. The drop ceiling in the bathroom was in horrid condition. On the plus side, the kids liked the pool, although no one from the hotel ensured guests were the only ones enjoying it. Plus the fact that the management of the hotel had no issue with people bringing coolers full of beer poolside...Overall, there are far better choices in WildWood Crest.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Oncman
nutley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

Just got back with a friend and 4 children. Room was moldey, small and pathetic. Asked for more pillows,was told no, very rudely. No parking at night and was told to block driveway, asked the rude woman at desk if she was sure that I wouldn't get hit, she said there would probably be a car next to me by the end of the night, ok if so if my car does get hit, i would hold them responsible, she told me that "No" they would not be responsible. The boys asked for ping-pong paddles, was told no.the next day the woman told me in the gift shop not to listen to the nasty lady that they do have them. Video game room was a joke. None of the games worked and if it took your money they didn't care. Basiclly, we barely slept and took cold showers in the moldy bathroom. Hotel needs alot of TLC. They basically take your money and you are on your own. If you are looking for a relaxing, clean place to sya, this is not the place. When 13 and 14 year olds do not want to stay in the room at all, it must be bad!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family