“Schotia Safari”

Schotia Tooth and Claw Safari
More attraction details
Owner description: Schotia offers one of the best chances to see lions in the wild. This private malaria free reserve close to the Addo Elephant National Park is probably the most densely stocked reserve in Africa, and with over 40 mammal species and approximately 2000 animals, can offer consistently good game viewing throughout the year.
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Well organised, friendly and informative driver/rangers and a great meal after a night drive. Easy to find from the Dungbeetle Lodge.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We did the Tooth and Claw overnight experience with a tour at Addo Elephant park and had a great time. Our tour guide Donavan was absolutely fantastic with lots of knowledge to share about all the different animals and species in the park. He did his by best to find all the animals for us and we saw everything including lions, elephants, rhinos etc. we were also very lucky to have some exciting encounters with the animals. The accommodation and food were brilliant with a good choice for vegetarians. Also I liked that this company seemed very organised.....everything happened on time without delay. Also in terms of the safari...for us nothing was rushed and Donavan allowed a lot of time for us to see the animals.

The only things that did annoy me were the following. It's very unfortunate but I think if these things were improved....for me this would be a 5.

The first thing that nearly stopped us from booking the whole trip was the Ella, the lady we booked it with. I found her extremely rude and impersonal and nearly put us of coming. When we initially tried to find out about the tour we were sent an email. When I had rang to find out more she wasn't very helpful and kept saying things like "well obviously if you had read the email I have sent you" which in some ways makes you feel quite stupid even though the question we had wasn't in the email. Then when we tried to book over the phone she practically told my boyfriend off and said we don't take card over the phone.....and was actually pretty mean. So that's the main reason why this is 4 star and not 5.

Secondly I think the Addo tour was really disappointing. This isn't down to Scotia directly but could have been made more enjoyable by having open vehicles. Trying to view things in the mini bus was pretty impossible and very uncomfortable.

I would like to finish on a positive though as I am happy we booked and we did have a great time. If the above things were improved then this would of been a 5 out of 5 experience!

Thanks Donavan for a great experience and all the knowledge you had to share!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We really enjoyed the tooth and claw game drive. We were very lucky to see many of the animals and to experience a lion being "chased" by an elephant bull. Our guide Donovan had a lot to tell and the food in the lapa at night was very tasty.

Lovely experience!!,

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had the misfortune to have an afternoon/ evening safari during December. There were 88 people on our drive and it was more like a convoy than a safari. If you have never seen a wild animal then this might be for you, otherwise do yourself a favour and don't go. The evening meal was meant to be an African experience withe a potjiekos. We were really looking forward to this but all we got was a piece of chicken, a tough bit of steak with green beans, rice or potato. There was a pay bar but at R750 for the trip each,a glass of wine at the table would have been nice. Dessert was Malva pudding with custard.
Would I go again? Not in a million Sundays.
Forgot to mention, not a lot of animals either.

5  Thank Lynn T
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We did the Schotia Tooth & Claw safari with my family during a recent stay in South Africa.
It was one of the highlights of our trip - we got to see a large variety of animals in the afternoon & the evening.
Our guide Scott was amazing & had us out of the car to approach the animals & eating termites...it was amazing. We all really enjoyed ourselves.
It is very different to a safari in a national park but just as enjoyable thanks to very knowledgeable guide.