“Great Stay and Good Value”

Stone Olive Guest House
Ranked #6 of 48 Jeffreys Bay B&B and Inns
Surrey, UK
“Great Stay and Good Value”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We were welcomed with a coffee which is always a good start. We found Stone Olive to be a very good standard guest house. Our upstairs bedroom was very comfortable with a balcony and superb views and nice bathroom. The house is in a quieter area across from a golf course and within easy (driving) distance of the main street of Jeffreys Bay. Good breakfast and nice pool/garden area. Very good value. We enjoyed our chats with Leoni. Secure parking was excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We stayed here for two nights in January 13 and were thoroughly impressed with the high standard offered by this guest house. The grounds and pool area are peaceful and private and immaculately maintained. Our room had a terrace/balcony that went full length of the building and had a view of the sea in the distance. Lovely spot for a drink. The room and bathroom with its freestanding bath were of a high standard of decor and facilities. The staff were friendly and helpful and we had wonderful freshly cooked breakfasts both days in the extremely pretty dining room. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone. This is definitely a 4* guest house believe us mini bar or no mini bar!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 1 March 2013

My wife and I were privileged to stay over at Stone Olive Guesthouse for 1 night in January 2013. What a beautiful venue!!! Besides being clean, neat & tidy, the decor was absolutely stunning! It was obvious that the owners (Leoni & Jan) paid careful attention to detail. Our room was perfect! We slept comfortably well & felt very relaxed the following morning. Breakfast was top notch. We would definitely consider staying there again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Geraldine greeted us, and showed us around the guest house. Our rooms were beautiful! The whole place is decorated to a very high standard. This is fantastic value for money. We had a great stay there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Mossel Bay, South Africa
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I regret writing this review but I want my experience seen by fellow travelers. I also hope the owner will take this to heart and change the necessary to improve.

We are a young couple that travels a lot due to our careers. We love staying in guesthouses and mostly stay at 4-star establishments in South Africa.

Before I start with the negative, I want to mention the positives.

The building is beautiful. The small courtyard is really stunning and gives a nice atmosphere. The rooms are very nicely decorated overall and have easy access to the parking lot, courtyard / pool area as well as a small garden. The location is near the main surfing beach called "SuperTubes".

At arrival we were an hour or so early as we traveled quicker than expected. This actually turned out to be a good thing as the owner / manager arrived from her other full time job of being a teacher at a nearby school. She was not sure why we were there and seemed confused. We informed her that we have a booking for the next 2 nights and paid our deposit about 2 weeks prior. She looked in her booking sheet and noticed that she never made our booking. They had no other guests for the night so were obviously preparing for a quiet night without guests. She seemed a bit annoyed and only after we re-forwarded her the proof-of-payment e-mail, she checked us in and gave some advice on local restaurants. I decided to immediately make the full payment ( which I now regret ) for the 2 nights.

The guesthouse is rated 4 stars by the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa. On the outside it looks good, but the rooms seemed to be missing some vital 4-star items like a minibar / hairdryers etc..

Our first night went well with no problems or discomforts besides the very short bed. In the morning before breakfast, I took a shower only to notice the water going scorching hot and then cold all the time. I was quite annoyed but didn't think too much of it. When going to the breakfast lounge, I notice they were doing washing and that was what probably caused our shower water to be irregular. I am assuming the share the geysers that provide the warm water. The breakfast itself was pretty average but fine.

We asked the hostess Leoni if another couple ( friends of ours ) could visit us for a few hours later in the day and she agreed that this is fine. Other guesthouses don't have problems with this as it is good advertising for them. In the afternoon the couple arrived after checking in to their own accommodation establishment. As it was hot we decided to relax by the guest pool and sip some wine. The owner and her spouse walked past us a few times as they also live on site. They could have walked around the guest pool area as there are other walkways. They seemed irritated and we felt a bit uncomfortable. I asked for some ice as we don't have a minibar and she gave us some which was nice of her. Later as were soaking up the sun on the edge of the pool, my friend told her as she passed that she must please just mention if she needs him to move. She said ( in a very snotty tone ) that he must move when her other guests arrive. We felt very awkward by this comment and got the feeling as if we are imposing on her property. I mean this is a guesthouse with a guest pool and we as guests who are paying to stay here have to feel uncomfortable using the facilities???

When taking a shower that evening before we left to the family gathering that we came to attend, I realized that I cant shower unless I close my curtains on the garden side as anyone walking by would look straight in to the shower ( which has no bathroom door ). This irritated me because now I cant even have a private shower without having to close all doors and curtains.

As we returned to the guest house that night at about 23:10, our friends drove with us and had to pick up a bag they left in our room earlier. We stopped at the guesthouse and made the swop. The owner came storming outside saying "guests aren't really allowed, i just made an exception in your case". We told her that they are only picking up their bag and she replied by saying "well, I am just saying". This was all in that snotty tone again and aggressive at times. We were embarrassed in front of our friends. What kind of advertising is that to the public.

If I didn't pay for both nights already, I would have packed my car and left immediately due to the owners lack of respect and and quite frankly, her unacceptable rude behavior towards us, her paying guests.

After my scorching and ice cold shower game the next morning we left before breakfast as we couldn't stand being there any longer. We also decided to stay a third night and checked in another establishment.

Because of our age, I felt she thought she could treat us the way she liked. I think she would have been more composed if we were older, none the less, we were paying guests, who travel a lot and did not deserve to be treated this way.

She also admitted to over charging us..and has made no attempt to fix this. Her being the owner / manager of the guesthouse and have another full time job does not work. Being a teacher is a full time work and managing a guesthouse is almost more than a full time job. I think the lack of commitment and divided attention is what is causing the booking issues etc.

I really hope the owner actually reads this and I would really love a response. We wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Rather spend your money at a better and more welcoming guesthouse. There were no friendliness, no warmth and no manners - you would expect this from a "4-star" establishment.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and the bathrooms dont have a devider or door.
Mossel Bay, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We travelled to Stone Olive as a couple to spend time with family and friends for our weekend off. Upon arrival, our hostess had forgotten about our booking even though the deposit had already been paid but at first, she was welcoming and we didn't mind it. We also checked in an hour early. The rooms are furnished to perfection, the colour scheme is lovely and it creates an upmarket ambience. A few things though, there is no door to "close" should you need the loo or shower, and if you are in the shower you have to close the curtains otherwise people can see you from the garden into the shower. It was very uncomfortable as I wanted to take a shower in the morning but couldn't have curtains open for natural light incase someone was in the garden. Also there wasn't a bathroom door to close for privacy and I think their plumbing is all linked, as when showering water would go from hot to cold, to hot. A turn down service is not offered and neither is a hair dryer, or a simple vanity kit provided which is what you would expect of a four star luxury guesthouse. As I am very tall, my feet also hung off the short double bed. On the saturday we asked permission to have another couple to spend the day with us, and we were told its okay for them to come over. We made use of the guest pool from 3ish - 6ish and were enjoying a glass of wine, laying by the poolside, enjoying the day - when the hostess made a comment that began to make us feel very uncomfortable and like we were imposing. It began to feel like we were an inconvenience. We went out for the evening to a family event and when we arrived back at 11pm, we needed to give a parcel to the same couple (our friends) for the morning. The hostess stormed out and was incredibly rude and stated that " guests coming over is actually not allowed inside but she made a special condition for us - but she is just letting us know " and marched off. I was in shock as firstly, we had no intention of them coming in, we were in the parking lot, and secondly, at the hostility and scolding. There was only one couple apart from us that was staying at the guesthouse that evening so I don't see how we could have upset anyone. They actually only arrived after us, just after the hostess had said her say. Needless to say our friends left immediately, happy to get back to their establishment. Even though the breakfast is lovely and the guesthouse is pretty, I will definately not stay in this guesthouse again and I will not recommend it to anyone! Rather pay the extra R100 a night and be able to enjoy your stay. We are a young couple in our late 20s who travels a lot due to our careers and we stay often in 4 star guesthouses, and NEVER had an experience like this. We were made to feel like we were staying with parents, not that we were guests paying for a service. We now feel we could have spent our money better. We are checking out this morning, skipping the breakfast and as we want to spend another night in jeffreys bay, we will be going elsewhere and checking in at our friends establishment where they stayed, as we felt more welcome there! Perhaps if you are a more mature aged traveller, you will be treated with more respect than what we were. I think that as this guesthouse is also home to the hostess, it felt like we were imposing on their home rather than staying at an accommodation establishment sadly.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Tazi-Jvr
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 7 February 2013

The Stone Olive in Jeffrey´s Bay was a tranquil piece of paradise and an absolute pleasure to find on our trip. The minute we arrived Leonie, the owner, made us feel comfortable and at home and gave us great local recommendations. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful, with a peaceful courtyard, nice sunny patio, a small pool that´s great for relaxing next to and an elegant dining room for breakfast – where Leonie sets out a fresh selection of breads & muffins, cheeses, marmalades, cereals, yogurts and homemade pancakes, she also even makes delicious fresh omelettes or an English breakfast, and brews fresh pots of tea, or French press coffee – amazing. Our room was also perfect – classically decorated and spacious, with a large comfortable bed, a gorgeous bathroom with an elegant claw-foot bathtub and stocked with soaps and lotions, also a table with all the necessities to make coffee or tea, and a wonderful private patio space to relax and unwind. We will definitely stay here again when we´re in Jeffrey´s Bay!

Room Tip: We loved our downstairs room with a private garden to relax in
1 Thank BarcaKris