“Riding at the fantastic private beach”

Papiesfontein Beach Horse Rides
More attraction details
Owner description: Just 10 km outside Jeffreys Bay and 70 km from Port Elizabeth, between the Gamtoos and Kabeljous rivers, lies the farm Papiesfontein. Here, on this special piece of land, the unique combination of bush, river and beach come together to offer you an unforgettable ride. Experienced guides escort riders twice daily along the 13km circular route. The trail takes about two hours to complete, leading through beautiful fynbos coastal vegetation, towards the Gamtoos river with breathtaking views from the dunes and finally returning along a 6 km stretch of deserted beach. Here on this isolated beach, riders can canter their mounts in the shallows or have an exhilarating gallop on the sand.The trail provides magnificent views of the area and affords ample opportunity to spot a variety of bird species, tortoises, bushbuck, plant and marine life. Imagine whale watching from horseback!
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We rode among cattle through the bushland to the really wonderful beach. It was a great experience: the landscape, the ocean view and the horses. Thanks to our nice guide.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Even if you've never been on a horse before, you must do this! The scenery is simply stunning. Huge dunes of white sand, waves crashing to the shore, bright sunshine! Does it get any better?

Reviewed 15 February 2014

the stable is a 30 minute trek from the extensive dunes and picture postcard white sandy beach. The ride is pretty free- I ride at home and was with a group of novices but they swapped my horse for one that I could have a good ride on and along the beach you are pretty free to do as much or as little as you feel like. Jaw-dropping scenery and great value too.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

If you like horseriding - galloping on the beach is most probably one of your dreams. This can come true here.

I went together with a friend at very short notice after the recommendation of our B&B host. I am an experienced rider, and I have also seen many accidents with horses and had some not so nice rides on strange horses, therefore I am usually careful, especially on vacation.

Arriving at the place, the welcome was not very warm or hospitable, and we had to pay first. There was no explanation nor any introduction for the ride. The horses were already saddled, so there were not many questions about our preference or experience, nor any comment about your horse. I noticed that the tack was quite worn, and the leather old and frail. The horses all looked in good condition. Along with us came two girls who had no riding experience at all, and a female guide who hardly spoke a word with us, but she was obviously a very skilled rider.

The first part was riding on a pebbly trail that was quite difficult for the horses. When there were less stones, we could trot, but as the horses had stronger minds than the riders, it was very chaotic. I was not able to control my horse, it refused to leave its place behind the horse that was in front of us. So I thought - well this horse knows its job really well, and I left it at that.

Then we came to a section where we climbed a quite steep dune. Obviously the horses all knew this and ran up without difficulties. Arriving at the top, the scenery had changed dramatically into a breathtaking dune / beach landscape, it was very spectacular! And the same height we also had to climb down, also no problem for the horses, but I'm sure it can be difficult for unexperienced riders.

Then, the complete distance we rode on the pebble trail, we rode back along the beach - so you could basically canter for probably half an hour if you would want that. And from then on, my horse was a totally different character. Before she did not want to pass any horse in front of her, and now she was totally free and eager to run, but she was very easy to control. Slowing down was no problem - and I'm sure in an open scenery like this, many horses will lose control completely. So I felt very safe on my horse "Trudy" and came to like her. The other horses also went along without problems, and while the girls were really juggling on horseback rather than riding, all went well and I was probably the most relieved of all that no one had fallen off and hurt himself.

I liked that the horses all seemed to be well taken care of, and they were friendly and trusting as far as I could see. If you are more on the brave and reckless side, the sight of the long shoreline and the long gallop will be incredible for you. If you are a little bit cautious and if your horse is excited with the perspective of the long run, it might also be scary, and I'm sure it's not without risk. I give only 4 out of 5 stars because I think the staff could have been more informative, and also because the tack was very worn which is a risk.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We were so lucky to go when we did. Jessica was our guide and she was so chill and nice! Beautiful weather and it was only the 2 of us with Jessica! Great place!! Highly recommend it and the horses were healthy and looked like they had a great place to live!
We had the option to trot, gallop or just walk so this is suitable for many abilities and comfort levels!