“Magic”

Cathkin Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Magic time. Made so welcome ! Sue brought me back a 6 pack of Castle from town whilst Hennie ensured I needed it by getting us under way on walk from cottage. Next day went off on lovely early walk to Spinx and back for late breakfast which literally kept me going all day. Nothing was too much trouble for these two. Made sure had the best of times in Berg!

• Stayed: November 2011

Reviewed 25 September 2011

A very nice stay and great company with new managers Leila and Paul. I think being the only people of ever go to the Drakensberg and not go trekking we had a fair share of time to check the place out.

Rooms were comfy, clean and quiet (my big 3). I'm not a fan of B&B's (I always feel like I'm dossing down in a stranger's house) but the rooms here are accessed away from common area's (like your own motel room) and the hosts just make this a wonderful, warm stay.

Leila and Paul were great company and always on hand with advice about the area. I could have spent quite some time there but had to keep moving the road trip along.

Ignore the 'old' negative posts, under new management..this star B&B has risen.

Room Tip: which ever gets you closest to the breakfast table..awesome; rush to to it.
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Our stay at Cathkin Cottage was absolutley fantastic, the accomodation is beautifully and tastefully done. The service and friendliness of the owner was outstanding, we felt welcome and could have stayed longer. Breakfast was a treat each day. The walks around the area are simply stunning and there is so much to do, hikes, helicopter flips and fantastic restuarants around the area. The B&B provides a comprehensive guide of things to do in the area and you can trust the recommendations they give on what to do. Truly a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I've read some of the old posts and cannot relate to them. Leila and her family offer a great place to stay. Sure, you won't find a ballroom dancefloor sized bedroom, but I don't expect one. The bedroom offers very comfortable beds and the whole room is decorated beautifully and tastefully.
Breakfast in the morning was delicious and you can be sure Leila won't let you go hungry. In addition to being fed well Leila is a great person to chat with. I am from Germany and this was my first trip to South Africa.Not only did Leila provide information about the area and things to do, she also talked about her own trips and more.
We were really lucky since we had just showed up, unannounced and asked for a bed for one night. Since we were flexible and Leila was too, we added two more nights and were very happy with the place.
So, should you ever look for a nice little accommodation in the DRakensberge, contact Leila and her Cathkin cottage.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Cathkin Cottage is under new management. Leila, Paul and Hennie are superb hosts. Wonderful views from the property, beautiful, stylishly decorated rooms. The breakfasts are fantastic. They all make you feel welcome and are incredibly helpful when it comes to providing information about the area. Lovely place, lovely people!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2008

We arrived and the hosts weren't there, but they had left us a note stating they would be back later and for us to let ourselves in which we did. The room was fine, although clearly quite old fashioned. We were told when we booked that we were welcome to use the bbq and since we had bought our own food with us, we started the bbq as it was getting late. We noticed that there were no utensils in our room, but just thought that we would get them from the hosts when they arrived home. Not long after we arrived they came home and Val asked me to come through to the reception area to sort everything out. She went through several things with me and then asked me for the money straight away. Once I gave it to her, all I got was "I guess I better count it to make sure it's all there". Unbelievable! We were staying there for 2 nights so even if I missed out on 5R or whatever, she would have had plenty of time to get it from me (btw, the full amount she required was indeed there of course) I then mentioned to her that I had noticed that we didn't have any utensils what so ever (meaning knives, forks, plates, bbq tools etc) in the room - would it be possible to get some? "No" was the answer I got. But how are we supposed to have a bbq if there aren't any tools I said? (pls keep in mind that it states on the website that there is a specific bbq that's meant for the guests to use - no where does is state to bring your own bbq tools! Besides, we came all the way from England - who brings their bbq tools with them all over the world?!) The answer I got was that we had to go buy our own things. She did in the end lend us 2 knives, forks and plates for that evening seeing the shops were closed, but she didn't part with the things willingly. She also pointed out that she didn't approve of food in the room. Where else are we supposed to keep the bbq food then?!? I also agree with others when it came to the breakfast - extremely simply and not enough for people to feel full. This is one of the worst places I've stayed in because of the lady's attitude - she's clearly just in it for the money and couldn't care less about her guests. We were also woken up in the mornings by them chatting in their own house as the walls were very thin. Most definitely wouldn't recommend this place - such a shame when most other b&b's we stayed at in SA were great.

Monique - Drakensberg, March 2008

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 15 October 2007

We also stayed in 2 rooms at Cathkin a few weeks ago and I agree with the other reviewers. The rooms were small, poor lighting only 2 bedside lamps, no heating other than a hot water bottle, as we were in the mountains and the weather was poor it was quite cold in the rooms. The owners were away in America and had been for 3 months although they had emailed me only the week before our stay but did not mention they would not be present. We had the same problems at breakfast we were told it was 8-30 so we went to breakfast only to be told we would have to wait until the other 4 guests had finished there's as there wasn't enough places at the table. The food was very poor, and tiny amounts. The lady caretaker told us of other guests who had complained or left early she also said the place was up for sale. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank 00Ness
Also consider these accommodations in or near uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park
Champagne Castle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Winterton
Montusi Mountain Lodge
Montusi Mountain Lodge
#1 of 6 in uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park

Been to Cathkin Cottage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!