“Franschhoek gourmet 4 years later”
Review of The Tasting Room - CLOSED

The Tasting Room
Price range: US$110 - US$150
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais is South Africa's most lauded fine-dining restaurant. It is the stage to award-winning Chef, Margot Janse, and her unique African Inspired Surprise Tasting Menu. Here, in this intimate setting, serious diners have the opportunity to experience a true journey of taste. With a menu that continues to evolve and astonish The Tasting Room, and its African Inspired cuisine, creates a dining experience unlike any other. One where surprise and nostalgia take centre stage. In The Tasting Room every African Inspired dish is exceptional and engaging. Truly refined with a distinct feminine touch and, at the same time, unexpectedly exciting ... Exhilarating in fact. It is this contradiction that results in The Tasting Room menu's outstanding balance and ensures that the cuisine is nothing short of a theatrical masterpiece.In The Tasting Room the journey extends further than just phenomenal cuisine; it moves fearlessly into the captivating realm of stories and magic. A place where each plate, and its African inspired elements, have the ability to captivate the hearts and minds of diners.The Tasting Room is open Tuesdays to Saturdays for dinner only. 19H00 till late.Please allow at least 3 hours for your dinner.
Reviewed 30 March 2014

It’s almost like being in a chemistry lab whilst experiencing all of the dishes, and just absolutely cool and twisted. A bit too many plates and too much food however, in European measures I would say, and I would have gladly divided the visit into two different seatings, because I really wanted to enjoy, taste and feel every dish.

It's been remodeled since our last visit 4 years ago and I personally feel it's much more clean in its design and feels more luxurious. One negative in my opinion is that they don’t have a dress code, at least smart casual would be appropriate in my taste.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We were recommended this restaurant and booked a while ago. It certainly lived up to the plaudits. An amazing mix of colours, flavours and artistry. Staff were friendly and humorous. It is certainly a journey, 3.5 hours of gastronomic delight. I had the wine pairings and they were a nice mix to match foods. My partner has some intolerances and these were adapted to and her food was equally as amazing. Definitely recommend the experience as a whirlwind for your taste buds and eyes.

Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Wow is all I can say. The experience at the tasting room is something that I'll never forget. Margot Janse blew us away with all the textures, tantalizing tastes and design. I would easily recommend the wine and food pairing - out of this world!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Expensive? sure. Over the top? big time over the top. Tasty fresh food? absolutely! Creatively prepared? without question, the MOST CREATIVELY prepared food I have EVER had.
But don't miss this one! just pay up and enjoy a unique experience.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

It was the fifth time we have dined at the tasting room and the food was as imaginative as ever. The flavours had depth and complexity and were wonderful. The staff were enthusiastic helpful and willing to discuss the dishes. We did feel that the wine or as it turned out drinks pairing didn't quite work for us. The beer with the taste of the sea fish plate masked the subtle delicate flavours of the sea. We found the beer far too strong a flavour and didn't sit well between wine also the cocktail with a following course we found odd. I don't like to mix my drinks during a meal. I find not good for the head next day. Non the less it continues to be a delightful culinary experience.
H.K. Ponteland u.k.