“Fun experience! Lively service and great food”

The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais
Ranked #11 of 75 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Price range: US$110 - US$150
Cuisines: International, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais is South Africa's most lauded fine-dining restaurant. It is the stage to award-winning Chef, Margot Janse, and her unique African Inspired Surprise Tasting Menu. Here, in this intimate setting, serious diners have the opportunity to experience a true journey of taste. With a menu that continues to evolve and astonish The Tasting Room, and its African Inspired cuisine, creates a dining experience unlike any other. One where surprise and nostalgia take centre stage. In The Tasting Room every African Inspired dish is exceptional and engaging. Truly refined with a distinct feminine touch and, at the same time, unexpectedly exciting ... Exhilarating in fact. It is this contradiction that results in The Tasting Room menu's outstanding balance and ensures that the cuisine is nothing short of a theatrical masterpiece.In The Tasting Room the journey extends further than just phenomenal cuisine; it moves fearlessly into the captivating realm of stories and magic. A place where each plate, and its African inspired elements, have the ability to captivate the hearts and minds of diners.The Tasting Room is open Tuesdays to Saturdays for dinner only. 19H00 till late.Please allow at least 3 hours for your dinner.
Manila
“Fun experience! Lively service and great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had to rent a private car to go out to the restaurant this late but it was well worth it. What an incredible experience. Produce in South Africa is so fresh and food is well prepared. Plus, at this restaurant, eating is like an adventure. The waitrons are very entertaining and there was always a story behind each dish or main ingredient. Inspired plating and presentation. Delicious food, I didn't love every single thing I ate but I did like everything. For example the cheese plate could have used more sweetness but I still enjoyed it. You can order the 5 course meal or the 8 course meal. We went for the 8 course meal and though I was stuffed after the meal, I'd do it again. Prices were very reasonable. We spent less than USD100 for an 8 course meal at one of the top 100 restos in the WORLD. Hope to save up enough for a 5th year wedding anniversary trip to South Africa. Will definitely return to The Tasting Room

• Visited October 2013

“What an Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Unbelievable experience on our last night in Franschhoek. We had the 8 course tasting menu and were delighted that we did. You also get other amuse bouche so its a little more than 8!

It was a gastronomic experience and reminded us of our visit to a 2 michelin starred place in the UK called L'Enclume that had similar style of food. It won't be for everyone's taste, but if you like fine dining you will not be dissapointed.

I would recommend booking well in advance as it is extremely popular as you would expect for one of the world's best.

The waiter was great and gave us complemetary champagne before our meal and a dessert wine afterwards. We didn't go for the wine pairing as we were driving 6 hours the next day, but the restaurant were very good about it and we didn't feel like we had to, which is unlike a lot of restaurants you see in places like London.

Overall a once in a lifetime meal, but we would definitely go back if we were in South Africa.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank D81504 .
south africa
“Art on a plate, but is it Delicious?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Well..No..not really delicious I'm afraid! We went to LQF as part of a birthday surprise for my hubby, and I planned the occasion months in advance. The excitement and hype probably lead to a bit of a disappointment, as I was sure a Top10 restaurant would surely produce lip-smacking food with lots of oohs and aaahs! The service deserves a 10/10 and plating on most of the dishes warrant the quick pic as they are presented beautifully. I just believe good food worthy of rave reviews and top honours should Firstly also taste phenomenal, and here's the let-down at LQF. Sure you can argue that perhaps it was just not to my tastes, but at this stage of the game I have tasted enough to know when something is delicious and when a dish was prepared solely for the eyes. I have to agree that 2 or 3 dishes did tick the taste box, and some did surprise (fois gras that looks like a small slab of chocolate!) but overall I cannot say I enjoyed each morsel. The 4-hour experience was indeed enjoyable, thanks to the service staff explaining what it's about and because hubby and I had lots to talk about, so I am glad we got the chance to visit once. We did not leave hungry, but I did grab a sweet chocolate at home afterward.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank omnitravelix
Stavanger, Norway
“Best dinner in South Africa!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

This place is amazing. We went as 3 couples and all ordered the 8 course tasting menu. The food was delicious, and so exciting! Everything we ate seemed to have some surprise or trick your eyes in some way. The wine pairings were excellent. Even though we had 8 courses they were well spread out and small so it wasn't too much. The service and atmosphere were also exceptional. This is a restaurant for couples and groups of adults. The meal is definitely an experience.

• Visited April 2014
Bordeaux, France
“As on the label, this is a Tasting menu, not a meal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We saved this treat for our last night in Franschhoek having read such good reviews but we're inclined to agree with recent comment from The_Foodie_Police from Jo'burg.
We went for the 5 courses as we had eaten at lunch time and several people mention portion sizes being large; well they're not.
Interesting food, very imaginative, beautifully cooked and paired with good wines but I could have managed 3 portions of the curry dusted sea bass and following Great karoo wildebeest.
The place lacks atmosphere, we had a large suede cushion as a partition between us and another couple sitting at the other end of the same table, and it fails to deliver the satisfied feeling of having eaten in a good restaurant.

• Visited April 2014