“Cosy atmosphere with good quality meals”
Review of Cafe Des Arts

Cafe Des Arts
Ranked #24 of 92 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Based in the small village of Franschhoek in the Western Cape. Franschhoek is renowned world wide for Haut Cuisine and Fine Dining. Cafe des Arts is neither Haute Cuisine nor Fine Dining! Cafe des Arts is a simple, rustic, relaxed restaurant where all that matters is the food. There are no table cloths, no silver service and the food is from the pan to the plate. If you're lucky, you may even get some cutlery! -
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We visited on a recommendation from our guest house and we were not disappointed. It's a cosy and colourful place with lovely artwork all around. We were sat right next to the blazing stove which kept us warm on a cold and windy night. The menu is small but with plenty of variety to find something you like. I opted for a calamari and avocado salad followed by red snapper with vegetables. Both were delicious and I would say that so far it has been our culinary highlight of our trip so far.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Daily the menu changes whatever is fresh available on the market. I had the fish with crushed potato which is always a winner. The malva pudding is great, you should always keep space for this special dessert. The restaurant is a small art gallery with an open kitchen, very cosy.

1  Thank Choccywoccydooda
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Cafe Des Arts lived up to its reputation. Warm welcome on a cold Cape day due to not only the log fire but also the friendly smiles. Attentive service and excellent and imaginative food, cooked to order. We'll definitely be back to test out their lunches and dinners

Reviewed 11 August 2013

This restaurant is a phenomenon. The owner was our waiter - unheard of these days. The food was absolutely delicious and interesting but still hearty meal style rather than gourmet tiny piece of food on a plate style. The kitchen is completely open which is very cool and overall the owner and chef have just created a unique and amazing restaurant.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We booked this after reading a good review on Trip advisor and the restaurant did not disappoint. A lovely quiet setting in a lane just off the main drag. The fire was blazing and the atmosphere was warm & relaxed. We ordered a parma ham & gorgonzola salad which was nice enough though little did I know what was coming...The Haute Espoir 2009 chardonnay was sublime. John & I both ordered the Angel Fish and crushed potatoes. I asked the waiter to get me the recipe but the talented chef seemed shy so I left it alone. Well I think volumes could be written about the fish but then I wouldn't have anything to say about the warm chocolate torte fresh out of the oven....its the kind of dessert that makes you feel reincarnated ;-)) I always take a doggie bag and sorry for our collies, there were no treats!

1  Thank ashantha t