“NIRVANA”

La Petite Dauphine
Knysna, South Africa
“NIRVANA”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This is the best guesthouse in the country by far and definitely the only place to stay in Franschhoek. The quality of the rooms and the exceptional service make this unforgettable! The location of La Petite Dauphine nestled amongst its own vineyards in the Franschhoek mountains is stunning.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Cape Town
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We loved the space, the peace, the sumptuous breaklfast and all the comforts in the room, including the Nespresso machine. Most of all we appreciated the fact that our best friend [the cocker spaniel] was allowed to come too.
We hope to return in the spring.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Alan M
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Every item exeeded expectations.The room was outstanding and in very good taste. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.Lovely area to walk and relax.We did not have dinner, but the breakfast was ver good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank Arnold. P
Cape Town
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Thank you for our stay at La Petite Dauphine Guest House.Our stay was far too short, and would have loved to have spent a longer time there to enjoy the Tranquility and Beauty of this heavenly surrounding of the mountains and orchards, and the tastefully furnished chalet nestled in this picturesque part of Franschhoek. .We enjoyed a delicious breakfast at Cafe Bon Bon before heading back home.Thank you Stephan who made us feel most welcomed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We recently stayed at La Petite Dauphine with our 7yr old son to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday. This was booked for us by my father in law. What a stunning place. We relaxed from the moment we arrived. Rooms are spacious with quality bath products & even a nespresso machine in the room. Sadly it was too cold to swim but there was a delightful little pool. The man that checked us in was very friendly & helpful & gave us some great advice about where to have dinner including a map of how to get there. Breakfast was really lovely, although service was a tad slow, but they were very busy. We will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Sarah H
London
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed here in April 2013 for a nearby wedding, and this is probably one of the nicest places I have stayed in. The suites are stunning and leave no wishes open, and the property itself is like out of a picture book - we absolutely adored it and I don't think I have stayed anywhere this nice in a long time. The only small annoyance was the hot water supply - if you have a bath in the late evening, do not expect a hot shower in the morning. The place does come with a hefty price tag - if money is no object and you are after a real pampering luxury break with all bells and whistles, stay here and you will love it, as it is a treat indeed. Otherwise, from what we have seen, there are many other very nice options in Franschhoek that may offer better value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Lying in an enormous, high, carved two-poster bed, with the feel of silky white linen against my skin, I found it hard to choose where to look. My contented gaze moved between admiring the elegant room, watching the characterful ducks doing quintessentially duck-like things in the pond outside the double doors of my cottage, and looking up at the Franschhoek mountains back lit by the intense blue sky. The understated luxury accommodation of La Petite Dauphine draws me back time and again because of the wonderful combination of sensory experiences. This place epitomises all that Franschhoek has to offer.

The things I love about La Petite Dauphine guest farm in Franschhoek, Western Cape, South Africa:
• Grand yet silky soft and nurturing bed
• Stylish decor using natural materials with finessed fittings
• Deep bath with shuttered widow views of the mountains
• Sophisticated smells of matching bathroom products
• Large light glass shower
• Varied views of water, lush green grounds, water birds, mountains and the bluest of blue skies
• Friendly and discreet service
Accommodation story:
Much of Franschhoek is what I would call "pretend fancy" where every now and then one's own pretence at being a fancy lady is rudely interrupted. This can happen easily if you step even slightly behind the pristine facade of each establishment - for example when the kitchen door is opened and you hear people shouting in harsh language at each other behind the scenes, or mistakenly rounding a corner behind a building which reveals its harsh underbelly of dirt and chaos. But not at La Petite Dauphine. Here I can bask in my fantasy of belonging in such elegance, even when I slip up and reveal my true background. For example, half way through my stay, while I was at breakfast, the host asked me if there was anything else I needed. I baldly (though in as muted tones as I could muster) asked for more toilet paper for my room, unable to think of any appropriate metaphors under such pressure. I may have imagined the barest flicker of shock cross my host's face before he quickly smiled and offered his reassurance that my needs would be met (without of course using the crass term toilet paper at all). By the time I had strolled back through the vines to my room, there on the table at the door to my cottage was a roll of the good stuff in a beautiful gift bag the perfect size for the roll (how was that possible to find a bag that size in that space of time, I marvelled). I kept the bag - as a momento of the good service of course.

Things to do in the area: Indulge the senses:
• Taste the essence of South African modern cuisine at the Tasting Room (Le Quartier)
• Shopping in the quaint high street, especially at Masquerade for stylish country decor purchases
• Drink full flavoured coffee at one of the many street-side coffee shops
• Drive, walk or cycle to enjoy the breath-taking views of the Franschhoek mountains
• Savour the local wines and deli products of the valley

From www.characterstay.blogspot.com