“Charming restaurant, lovely good”

Dutch East Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 84 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dutch East cuisine is a unique combination of uncomplicated bistro fare with healthy portions perfectly presented. Our menu blends modern steakhouse classics with a contemporary bistro style. We take inspiration from Cape Malay, eastern and traditional south African flavours
Reviewed 5 June 2014

All we wanted to do is to sit down, get something small to eat and have a glass of good wine. We were asking fo recommendations and in the end for what reason ever we decided to go the Dutch East restaurant for lunch.
I cannot tell what it was it just looked lovely and smiling waiters welcoming guests is one of the good reasons.
My darling tried tune steak which was mouthwatering. Grilled to perfection! I decided to go for a salad which was also very yummie. We asked for a recommendation of wine and ended up with a light Chardonnay and a Chenin Blanc from Franshoek. What can I say? I just felt perfect and it tasted great.
Usually I try to have not deserts but I could not resist. I decided to go for the chocolate tarte and it was 100% the right decision. Crispy outside, soft inside with the chocolate floating out of the cake. OMG! Heaven!

1  Thank Jessica G

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We lunched at Dutch East on a beautifully sunny Winter's Day, warm enough to sit outside. Firstly, Dutch East is Pet Friendly outside, which is always a plus. The outside tables are streetside which means it is great for people watching. Blankets are provided if it gets too cold.
The service levels are more than adequate, we never once felt unattended and the staff are polite and professional. The Manager checked on our table twice. I was disappointed by the wine list, specifically the By The Glass Options. Not much variety, specifically at the Top End of the spectrum. The execution of the Pork Ribs was a surprise, one of the best ever and seriously succulent. The Rump was good but not mind blowing. Overall we were happy. It is Value for Money and a great ambience.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Had dinner here. Attentive and knowledgeable staff. Food was very good. Rump steak was perfectly cooked and full of flavour. Definately worth a visit. Sit outside and people watch in the evening.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We recently had lunch (again) at the Dutch East. A lively atmosphere, an interesting menu including the wine list and that all very reasonably priced. we'll be back next time we are in Franschhoek.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Well trained, pleasant staff. Bright, airy dining room with a cheering fire as a focal point. I ordered a lamb curry and it was well executed and very tasty. However, all the elements were in dishes and I had to use my side plate in order to decant my food - no big deal, but a small detail. Also, the poppadum wasn't crisp. Overall, a pleasant experience and I would go back.