Kogelberg Nature Reserve
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Amazing few nights away in the Kogelberg Nature Reserve. Firstly, the cabins are amazing! Modern, light & spacious with amazing outside space for braaing, reading & relaxing. A great deal of thought has been put into the design of these cabins and they are truly beautiful. We had really cold weather and the fireplace did the trick and warmed the lounge/kitchen up really well. On the downside the bedrooms/bathrooms are across the outside area and are not connected to the lounge/kitchen so we can to run to the toilet outside in the rain! Bad design! Their are drop toilets which are very clean and once you are over the strangeness of it, it will be a perfectly normal activity! The bedrooms are really small but you not spending much time in them anyway so it won't become an issue. The hikes/walks are incredible. Some of them follow the Palmiet River which is unbelievably picturesque and beautiful!

2  Thank SammyKim
in 10 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is nature at its best- an absolutely beautiful river that can be swum in on warm days, fynbos and a soul-enriching easy hike along the river and into the mountains.

I just LOVE this place

1  Thank Smileypawpaw
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Not all tourists want to stay in upmarket hotels or guesthouses. My stay in the ''economy class'' backpacker accommodation at Amber tree was most pleasant. The interior and exquisite mini gardens are fabulous and the view of Table Mountain is very good. The atmosphere alone makes a stay here worth much more than what you pay for. (Definitely not the noise often associated with backpackers.) It is close to whatever you need and I can recommend it.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

First of all this is not in the Franschhoek mountains but in the Kogelberg biosphere. The cabins are perfect whether one has a cold and rainy few days, as the woodburner keeps the temperature at a very acceptable level, or if the sun is shining the sliding doors open wide.The hikes are beautiful and we found them not too tiring at all. The eco toilets are better situated than the ones in Rocherpan but some people might still have a problem with them. The rest of the accommodation is so perfect that it surely makes up for that.

2  Thank Tini H
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stayed here in one of the 5 new Eco cabins for a long weekend. Unfortunately my husband was ill so we were unable to go on any of the hikes as we had planned, but I can't think of anywhere better to be trapped inside with an invalid for a weekend. My children were very happy playing in the area between the cabins as well as the lovely verandah area that each cabin has.
The cabins are spacious, beautifully designed and exceptionally well maintained. The kitchen is perfect with everything you need as well as an outdoor braii area. We went in winter and although it was warm during the day we expected it to be very cold at night as the whole of the front of the cabin is glass, but it was much warmer than our flat in Cape Town. I'm not sure whether the grass roof trapped heat in or they are properly double glazed, but we didn't even need to use the wood burning stove, which was lucky as we hadn't taken any wood with us assuming that we would be able to buy it on site, which we couldn't so make sure you take that with you.
Apart from my daughter managing to fall in it, we didn't use the chemical free pool but it looked crystal clear and I'd imagine would be fantastic in the summer.
If you and the rest of your party book all the cabins then you are given free access to the indoor communal area, which looked great and has it's own kitchen which would be ideal for catering for big groups.
The staff are lovely and very enthusiastic about the place. You do have to get there before 4pm though to be issued a permit which I wasn't aware off, although I have no doubt that it was probably mentioned in one of their communications that I had just failed to read properly.
All in all, it is a truly wonderful place and excellent value for money. The fact that there are so few cabins and they are so beautiful does mean that you have to ensure you book a long time in advance as they do seem to get very booked up.
There is also a mistake on this website as it is nowhere near Franschoek, it is in the Overberg between Betty's Bay and Hermanus, so ideal for those who want to see whales.

4  Thank africawithkids