“food fair enough, service slow”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Allee Bleue

Allee Bleue
Ranked #38 of 75 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Good for: View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The historical estate of Allée Bleue is nestled at the foot of the majestic Drakenstein Mountains in the Franschhoek Valley. Allée Bleue is known to be one of the oldest yet most characteristic farms in the Cape, producing internationally award winning wines. Our offering on the estate includes boutique accommodation and a Bistro that offers an appetising menu with old classics and newly created herb inspired dishes. Seasonal picnics and guided herb tours are unique to our estate. Allée Bleue is the ideal location to host stylish weddings, trendsetting events and family celebrations.
Stellenbosch, South Africa
“food fair enough, service slow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We managed to get a Sunday lunch booking the day before (which makes you wonder).
At first we noticed the wine glasses being unpolished (not dirty) and then it took the waiter 15 minutes to take our drinks order.
Starters: My wife and I shared tomato soup and portuguese chicken livers, both dishes was very very tasty. For main I had lemon veal with tagliatelle. The veal was really very tasty albeit a bit on the tough side.
My daughter had Lindt mousse but it did not look like there was a lot of Lindt in there (there was a piece of plastic in it though). My wife had a scone for mains (yes, freshly baked) but it wasn't fluffy at all.
The wine from the property was fantastic and well priced. All the food was well priced in fact.
The day of our visit was extremely hot (39degrees C, 104f) and perhaps that could explain all the flies, I don't know.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank EduardMarais

“Making summer memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Exquisite food, good service, delicious wine, cheap prices and picturesque surroundings. Tasteful fusion of classic dishes and nouveau ideas on how to prepare them, owned by the head chef. Perfect setting for an anniversary or date lunch.

Visited December 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“OUTSTANDING!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I was blown away by the creative and interesting selection on their menu. Best burger I have ever tasted! And so affordable! I had the stuffed chicken breast. The plate was beautifully presented and the flavours rocked my socks off. The chef is a rock star and I believe that this was one of the best meals I have ever had. It was really refreshing to have an awesome meal and feel satisfied and not ripped off in the Franschhoek region. Well done guys!

• Visited January 2014
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Seems a great Bistro !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Only reason for not giving full 5 stars is because I only had breakfast. I will definitely be back to have lunch soon!
Out cycling and having gotten married here 5 years ago we stopped for a quick breakfast and found it tone a great experience. The service brilliant, the menu so many options to suit every taste, all on a beautiful estate. Not you typical Bistro type food - rather a full menu serving more options than many other surrounding restaurants.
Our breakfast was very tasty and beautifully presented.

Well worth a visit - you won't be disappointed.

• Visited January 2014
Welwyn Hertfordshire
“Christmas Day picnic - unforgettable!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

As part of our South African trip in December we booked and paid for Christmas Day picnic in November. We arrived early (lunch was due to be served from 12 noon) but had some coffee while the staff were still setting the tables. Unlike other picnics we have enjoyed at other wineries over the years the dishes/platters all arrived at the same time and placed on the table. There was a mix of cold meats, potato and green salad, olives with feta cheese and one cheese for, presumably, dessert plus various relishes and a tuna/mayo (unsure whether it was actually mayo) dish. Not liking seafood I didn't taste the tuna but my partner did.

The lunch selection was disappointing. Within 2 hours of finishing the meal and on returning to our accommodation at Kleine Zalze Lodge (highly recommended) my partner was acutely sick and remained so well into the next day. Subsequently she suffered from stomach cramps which impacted on our last few days in SA as she felt unwell and unable to eat very much. We believe this was due to the tuna/mayo mix - she only had a small tasting of it saying at the time it did not taste very nice.

In the following days (we moved on to Cape Town) we heard of several food poisoning incidents at various locations, some severe to warrant over night observation in hospital. Whether this is due to poor hygiene coupled with high temperature (in the 80's) we don't know but would advise only eat those foods which are cooked to order and don't touch prepared relishes or mayo!

• Visited December 2013