“Something different - a great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Contemporary South African cooking, small plate concept,excitement and open interactive kitchen located on the main road at the entrance to the village.
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Something different - a great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We booked to go to Ryan's kitchen for three of us which then became 10 - the staff were very accommodating and it was no problem at all.

The entire dining experience was fantastic. From the tomato foam and granulated beetroot to the peri-peri Pate de Foie Gras and Guava Soufflé. A different take on food and a real dining adventure.

Go and eat there - you wont be disappointed.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Moose-JHB

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Good but not fantastic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

The first time I took guests to visit Ryan's it was great, he gave t hem very personal treatment and the food was very good. The second time I took folk there, even though I phoned and asked him to make conversation and my guest went inside to engage him, he was ignored, and Ryan just said he was too busy cooking to worry about chatting to his guest. I was very disappointed by that, on to p of that the food was o.k but not out of this world and their was a serious fly problem!

Visited February 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What an experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Excellent service, great wines paired with some of the best food we've ever had in Franschhoek. Recommended to us by some friends in Franschhoek and we look forward to our next visit. Try the "Taste of Africa"

Visited August 2012
1 Thank eyeflyplanes
“Great evening!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012 via mobile

Loved it! We were fascinated that the kitchen was in full view, and you can watch these wonderful meals being prepared!

Stavanger, Norway
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We, 2 adults and a 18 year old daughter who recently turned vegetarian (but eats fish) went there two weeks ago during our stay in Franschhoek. As July is low season it wasn't a problem getting a table without booking.
For starters we ordered pickled fish and duck liver, but first got a surprise appetizer consisting of foamed tomatoes, beetroot soap, and some other food I can't remember. It was very nice and visually presented. We had asked for wine by the glass to suit and the waiter was very knowledgeable on wines, and also asked if we would like to test another wine that was equally suitable so we could have our own pick. The starters showed us what to expect! It was beautiful presented, and very delicious.

For mains we had beef duo, roast quail and todays line fish. My quail was some of the best I ever tasted! And the same said my wife and daughter about their dishes! The accompanied wines was again an excellent pick by our friendly waiter.

For desert we had peppermint crisp rolls. I can't remember seeing a dish so beautiful presented! And I have been to Michelin stared restaurants! But they have all been at a much higher price!

The reason we when to Ryan's was because our wine tour guide recommended Ryan's as her best pick in Franschhoek. I can't but highly recommend Ryan's to any "foodie" who isn't concerned about formalities, Ryan's is quite informal, so casual clothing is OK.

I was a bit reluctant if I should write a review or not, because if I come back I'd like to get a table without booking far in advance!

• Visited July 2012