“Could have been better”

Ranked #4 of 79 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Contemporary South African cooking, small plate concept,excitement and open interactive kitchen located on the main road at the entrance to the village.
South Africa
“Could have been better”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was recommended to go to Ryan's Kitchen by a foodie friend, and was disappointed by not only the food, but the ambiance as well. The restaurant was so cold, we had to wrap ourselves in blankets, and while the staff were friendly, there was no banter between the staff in the open kitchen. In fact they just didn't speak to each other at all.The food was hugely expensive for tiny portions, and quite honestly, was just not up to scratch at all. I found that the flavours didn't really compliment each other on the plate, and my friend's starter of jerusalem artichoke espuma, covered a huge duck egg, which wasn't even on the menu! The wine list was good, especially the great selection by the glass. I won't go back.

1 Thank 247LiveLife
chefryansouthafrica, Owner at Ryan's Kitchen, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
I generally do not post responses to guests opinions on this site as I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of what it is, but this one I find particularly inaccurate, manipulative, and dare I say....spiteful.

These guests visited us last evening. Wrong restaurant altogether. Definitely the wrong members profiling in my opinion.

They were an early table in on a midweek night in the very heart of winter in a seasonal resort styled town. I generally close this week of the year, so apologies that we were not packed.
With over 300 reviews these past 4 years there is certainly no visible trend for me to react to with regards to the restaurant being too cold. Even more so when this particular guest was seated with her back to a wall heater? And the table closest to the kitchen?

They ordered the bare minimum. Okay fine. Banter?!? Seriously? For an order of 1 starter, 2 main courses and a cheese platter? This kind of order might send This Guest into a Gordon Ramsay like head spinning rage in her own kitchen, regrettably, this was a very straight forward order for us. Personally, I like to work in silence and see no need for unnecessary chit chat.

"Hugely expensive for tiny portions, and quite honestly, just not up to scratch at all"
......this particular guest ordered 1 main course fish at R165 ( farmed cob...possibly the most expensive fish on the market currently) and a cheese platter for R75. (I would wager the largest selection of cheeses in the valley and undercutting everyone similarly by at least r20). Both were cleaned.

In short...a whopping R240. No mention is made of the offered bread, amusbuche and intermediate sorbet.

"the flavours really didn't compliment each other on the plate"
....I imagine this guest is referring to the fish dish, right? A selection of cheese is a selection of cheese. Let me just agree to disagree on this one. I will serve that same dish this evening.
I will make no mention of this guests fellow diner as she specifically past on the information ...."thank you for the excellent food".

I will say though that the Jerusalem Artichoke Espuma starter, very clearly states "slow cooked egg 62C". Was it such a monumental shock and disappointment that this guest received a duck egg and not a chicken egg? Was she possibly expecting an ostrich egg? Who knows? Apologies for any inconvenience caused in this regard.

This guest says that she will not be back. Well, that is depressing. We will nonetheless, soldier on and Up our game in an attempt to recover from the cataclysmic loss of R240 + 3 glasses of sweet wine.

regards
Ryan

Laguna Hills, CA
“A Foodie Adventure”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was drawn to try Ryan's Kitchen from a menu item featuring Cape Malay cuisine, which I wanted to try. The Cape Malay Pickled Kingklip was amazing and one of the best dishes I've had - ever. The setting is very cool, set in the lobby area of a hotel. The kitchen is open so you get a chef's table experience while sitting comfortably in what would otherwise be the front room of a nice hotel.

Another reviewer mentioned the experimental menu. That is true and this place is not for the unadventurous, but it isn't weird, either. A fine dining experience that will give you a variety of tastes of Africa with originality, a clever fusion of tastes and textures, and with brilliant presentation.

• Visited May 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
“CONSISTENTLY OUTSTANDING!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was our fifth visit to Ryan's Kitchen. The service and quality is consistently outstanding. Always delighted by Ryan's creations.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Our best in franschoek”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

After a week in franschoek Ryan's really has come out top!

We had the tasting menu with wines. The food was delicious, every single course, even the pallet cleanser was memorable. They were flexible and happy to change out a course for us and seemed genuinely interested in our reaction to each course. The food felt very South African with touches of food we knew in each course combined with something new and inspired.

The service was brilliant, personal, friendly, relaxed but always on the mark. The lovely lady who served us had also done the wine pairing and clearly took absolute delight in our reactions. We loved some of the wine so much that our first stop the next day was to but more. After many estates where the wine options were limited to their own estate it was great to see some new and interesting wines.

The only negative I can come up with a that they were overly generous with the wines and we couldn't finish them.

The atmosphere was lovely, we loved being able to watch the food being prepared in the small but incredibly well orchestrated kitchen.

the location when staying in the franschoek village could not be more convenient.

1 Thank Lisaroos14
hout bay
“another gem in Franschhoek”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Franschhoek is not short of good restaurants but Ryan's Kitchen must be one of the beast. It is small and so you can watch the chef being very relaxed mastering the kitchen. We ate ourselves through the menu and enjoyed every bit of it. It is quite pricy but great value and the wines are affordable. A place to remember.

• Visited May 2014